Dawn Princess

Hi

Could anybody tell me the good and the bad regarding the Dawn Princess? We are booked on her for 35 days next year in a aft mini suite.

We have never sailed on the Australian Princess ships before and would love to know what people think of them in comparison to other Princess ships

Thanks

Last time we were on the Dawn was in August last year and the ship looked very tired. The ship has just had two weeks in dry dock for a "tuneup" so t will be interesting to see how she looks when we board her in July for our Asian cruise. It will be our fourth trip on that ship and we are looking forward to it.

Hi

Could anybody tell me the good and the bad regarding the Dawn Princess? We are booked on her for 35 days next year in a aft mini suite.

We have never sailed on the Australian Princess ships before and would love to know what people think of them in comparison to other Princess ships

Thanks

We had a mini-suite on the Dawn on our last cruise and compared to the mini-suites we've had on the Diamond and Sapphire we thought the Dawn mini was a superior cabin except for the balcony. Compared to a Dawn balcony cabin, they are twice the width with a sitting area, a walk-in robe, the bathroom has a shower and a spa tub and the toilet is in its own little room. The balcony is quite narrow but as it is the width of two ordinary cabins you do have more room. I think the aft minis have deeper balconies than the others.

cheers

Stu

Last time we were on the Dawn was in August last year and the ship looked very tired. The ship has just had two weeks in dry dock for a "tuneup" so t will be interesting to see how she looks when we board her in July for our Asian cruise. It will be our fourth trip on that ship and we are looking forward to it.

My group of 5 couples are going on Dawn Princess in November '15 for a 13 day NZ cruise. This will be our first Princess cruise and we're all really looking forward to it. I'm hoping after her spruce up in Singapore she'll look refreshed again. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for reports.

Hi,

In answer to your question about sailing on the Dawn Princess.

I personally can say that I have loved every minute of sailing on the Dawn Princess, I have sailed on her 3 times now, twice to New Zealand.

She is a very 'Classy' lady, she is currently on her first sailing since coming out of drydock yesterday, she has had from what I can gather from Princess, a reasonably big makeover, especially the Horizon

Court which is one of our favourite places to eat whilst on board.

They even do a great 24 hour room service for food at no extra charge.

We have always found the staff to be very courtious and very helpful.

They have plenty of daily activities on board for all age groups, I like doing the daily Trivia competitions and the daily dance classes in the Vista Lounge, we took my grandson on a cruise to New Zealand for his 21st birthday and he even took me to a dance class even though he has 2 left feet. He loved every minute of his time on board, it gave him a freedom to relax and enjoy himself after studying constantly for many years.

We have never gone through the Milford Sound yet as the weather conditions at the time had been very bad and the Captain had to consider the safety of his passengers, crew and of course the safety of the boat first, we will again be going back to New Zealand to try and get that experience.

We love the fact that we can depart and return to Melbourne, unfortunatly the Dawn Princess is now going to be operating out of Freemantle and Sydney, we are now getting a refitted Golden Princess coming into Melbourne until at least 2019, she is of the class of the Diamond Princess.

It is really great that younger people are coming on board to enjoy a great way to escape and relax, it is also great for family get togethers.

I hope you have a great time on the Dawn Princess

Best Wishes.:):):)

Has anyone sailed on Dawn Princess or her sisters, in a Riviera Cabin? Pro & Cons please, if any?

I know they're just below the Horizon Court and may be susceptible to noise from above.

I had an Extended Aft Balcony on Carnival Legend right under the Serenity deck area last year. I was expecting late evening noise, early morning deck chair shuffling etc, but I slept like a log.

Hi

Thank you to the people that have replied regarding the Dawn Princess. I have heard that the mini suites are totally different from the other Princess ships.

We have had mini suites on the Diamond & Sapphire before and were very pleased with those, so can't wait to see the aft mini suites.

If any body has photo's of the Sun class mini suites I would love to see them.

The Dawn seems to be a popular ship as people go back on her quite a few times.

We are used to doing "Anytime Dining" not set seating. We have asked for a table for 2 at the early sitting, what would the changes be of getting it or do they put you on the big tables to fill them up? 35 days would be a long time with people you don't get on with.

I keep hearing the good about the Dawn Princess is there any negatives?

Noddy:)

Has anyone sailed on Dawn Princess or her sisters, in a Riviera Cabin? Pro & Cons please, if any?

I know they're just below the Horizon Court and may be susceptible to noise from above.

I had an Extended Aft Balcony on Carnival Legend right under the Serenity deck area last year. I was expecting late evening noise, early morning deck chair shuffling etc, but I slept like a log.

Hi Greenstream , We sailed on the Dawn last September and our cabin was R342 interior , we had no problems with noise from above and I prefer to stay on Riviera deck because its convenient to get to the pools , Horizon court coffee making facilities etc. I'm a light sleeper but also slept like a log :)

When we sailed on the Dawn last year for the battlefield cruise we were surprised to see how tired looking the ship was. On our cruise it was often a case of playing lift lotto and with a high percentage of elderly passengers on board that wasn't very good. That was the only negative on what was an amazing trip.

The service, food and entertainment on board was as good as you will get on any ship. The "Dawn" has just come out of dry dock for a tune up so it will be interesting to see how she looks when we join the ship in Perth in July.

Hi Greenstream , We sailed on the Dawn last September and our cabin was R342 interior , we had no problems with noise from above and I prefer to stay on Riviera deck because its convenient to get to the pools , Horizon court coffee making facilities etc. I'm a light sleeper but also slept like a log :)

Thanks Jasmine for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

Greenstream. Have sailed dawn twice out of Melbourne to nz plus once on repo Syd to Mel 3 nights. Two others on sea princess out of Brisbane. Had balconies on dawn riviera both times to nz. It's our deck of choice, love just walking short corridor to pools eyc plus one floor to horizon. We have never felt much movement up there in spite of some if seas, any movement could've felt anywhere I think. We got into Milford sound first trip, bypassed on second, it is def spectacular . I would keep doing same trip as so much to see and do and we love sea days!!

I'll be on Dawn in a few weeks and will be very interested to see how she's looking compared with Sun, which we were on last Christmas.

I gather they didn't change The Patisserie to an International Cafe, which may be a shame.

We're not great fans of buffet restaurants and didn't go to Horizon Court on Sun, except for one evening when one side of it was turned into the Stirling Steakhouse. It looked OK but not a good environment for a speciality restaurant especially as we could hear lots of plate clatter from the galley. Very irritating. But we may try out HC for breakfast or lunch on this cruise, just for variety as it's a bit longer than our Sun cruise.

We booked a midships inside guarantee (IA) but haven't had our cabin assignment yet. If we get an IA I'll be happy as the location will be good. If we get an upgrade hopefully I'll be happy but we could end up anywhere on the ship. I'm just praying we don't end up anywhere noisy. Still guarantees are good fun. ;)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We always try to get a Riviera cabins

can not say we've ever had any cons but millions of pros

1. close to the outside for fresh air

2. 1 floor upto Horizon for a quick morning/evening cuppa - no need of waiting for lift

3. close to the pools/spas, bar, Movie under the stars & icecreams

as far as noise goes we feel it is quiet due to less cabins in the area and have never heard any noise from the Horizon above or indeed music from the deck parties or movies at night.

GOOD spot but don't tell anyone...lol!

November will be our 5th cruise on her, so I guess you can say that we enjoy her. We're really looking forward to seeing her refurbishment Will post some photos afterwards

Edited by bubbles2014

All those Pros sound great, thanks bubbles2014.

I'm jealous, trip to Hawaii ..... I'll do that soon hopefully. I'm planning a trip to the UK next year or I'd be going there next.

That one is on our list too.

We haven't thought about when yet, just want!

Well we're using half her LSL this year [or she is anyway when she realised she could have 2 extra weeks and run into the Christmas Holidays] Next year will need to be a shorty in school hols, so 2017 looks like the next space. Just waiting for their schedule to come out.

But the Circle Pacific is also very high on our list and as they only offer that every now and then it would get preference if we could do it.