portable WiFi router?

beachbum53

This may not be the correct place to post this question, but I wasn't sure of where else to post it. Does anyone have any experience with portable WiFi routers? Yes, I know that when the ship is docked, you can usually find a place that offers free WiFi. But, on those occasions when you don't have access to a WiFi signal, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a portable router. So, I thought I'd ask if any of you own a portable router. Have you used it while traveling, in your car, on a plane, or on a ship? How well does it work for you?

You would need something to unltimately connect the router to, and that something would be a WiFi hotspot. The only reason to use a portable router would be for security in that you connect to the router with a secure link, which then connects to the hotspot, but even then the link between router and hotspot might not be secure! The only way to get it to work without a nearby hotspot is to buy one that has 3G/4G capability, and for that you would need a suitable SIM with associated data plan for it.

You would also need one capable of running off battery. And if it comes to that, you might as well just use your phone.

WiFi is not internet. It is purely a method of connecting your device to the internet without a cable.

You would need something to unltimately connect the router to, and that something would be a WiFi hotspot. The only reason to use a portable router would be for security in that you connect to the router with a secure link, which then connects to the hotspot, but even then the link between router and hotspot might not be secure! The only way to get it to work without a nearby hotspot is to buy one that has 3G/4G capability, and for that you would need a suitable SIM with associated data plan for it.

You would also need one capable of running off battery. And if it comes to that, you might as well just use your phone.

WiFi is not internet. It is purely a method of connecting your device to the internet without a cable.

Thanks Dave. So I'm guessing that, based on what you've told me, if you have a tablet and a portable router, you probably still won't have internet accessibility in many areas while traveling. Kind of like there are certain areas here in the U.S. where there is no cell phone signal.

I have used an Edimax portable mini-router, and it works fine ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND AND CONFIGURE. And the caps are intentional....it is not a simple plug and play idiot-box.

It has the virtue of being able to take a wired ethernet cable internet connection and output it to a wifi signal and vice versa. One big advantage is when you have a hotel with wired internet but no wifi. This allows you to then use the wired connection with a smartphone or tablet that does not have a standard RJ-45 ethernet jack.

Now, if you are talking about a portable "hotspot", that's a whole different animal and most likely would not be appropriate for a cruise vacation.

Just as 3G and 4G and LTE....merely wireless "cables" in the sky, but unless you have something to connect with on both ends, it's merely random electrons.

A great example would be if you connect via wifi to a router and get a great signal connection to the router. However, there's no internet connection out of the back of the router to the net since someone disconnected that cable. Or forgot to pay their bill. You have wifi - you don't have "internet".

OP

Are you asking about a mobile hotspot device like a jetpack that you get from Verizon?

If so, I've used mine all around the country. These devices work off of cellular service. Therefore, not going to work at sea and not going to work while flying.

I use mine all of the time. You have your own network so you don't have to worry about finding free wifi, only to find the free wifi network you got on was not a "real" network and someone is cloning your device.

Use it at hotels where the "free" wifi is limited to 3 MBPS and 100 people are sharing that 3 MBPS bandwidth.

Use it in the car to listen to whatever I choose rather than paying $25 a month for satellite radio.

Great for using your phone as a GPS device (TomTom) for driving directions.

This may not be the correct place to post this question, but I wasn't sure of where else to post it. Does anyone have any experience with portable WiFi routers? Yes, I know that when the ship is docked, you can usually find a place that offers free WiFi. But, on those occasions when you don't have access to a WiFi signal, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a portable router. So, I thought I'd ask if any of you own a portable router. Have you used it while traveling, in your car, on a plane, or on a ship? How well does it work for you?

With the right phone and data plan you can use your phone as a hotspot using tethering.

For example an iPhone using a Vodafone Sim with Euro Traveller (I think it's called)

Euro traveller lets you use your UK plan for voice, text and data whilst in many European countries for something like £3.00 a day. Then use your iPhone to tether whatever wireless device you like, such as an iPad. However keep an eye on data usage with respect to what your plan allows.

Good luck,

iPhone: go to settings and turn on "hotspot". Your iPad (w/o phone) can find it and connect, which then gives access to iPhone's data connect and internet. Of course, you'll now be paying international data roaming rates.

I believe if you use the Euro Traveller package with Vodafone you do not pay international roaming rates. You just use up data that is in your normal monthly plan. I think the cost is about £3.00 a day for every day used. Of course this is only any good in port or close to shore. I believe the other networks also have packages but I think Vodafone is the only one that lets you use your normal plans inclusive minutes.

With the right phone and data plan you can use your phone as a hotspot using tethering.

For example an iPhone using a Vodafone Sim with Euro Traveller (I think it's called)

Euro traveller lets you use your UK plan for voice, text and data whilst in many European countries for something like £3.00 a day. Then use your iPhone to tether whatever wireless device you like, such as an iPad. However keep an eye on data usage with respect to what your plan allows.

Good luck,

Thank-you. Although our travels don't usually take us to Europe, this information is still very helpful.