Explorer of the Seas out of NJ- Room in front?

Well, I'm not a terribly experienced cruiser (I've been on one cruise, and that was EOS out of Bayonne), but seas can be calm or stormy any time of the year. We sailed 9/25/2010, and had smooth seas the whole 5 days we were out, but watching the ocean waves site (www dot oceanweather dot com) showed 20-ft seas the week before we sailed (remnants of Igor) and 20-ft seas the week after (remnants of Nicole coming up the coast). December is out of hurricane season, though, which is a good thing.

Oh, and we had a fore portside balcony (8516), and IMO didn't feel what little waves we had any more up there than anywhere else we went onboard. But a) some people say they can tell the different, b) I don't get seasick, and c) we had calm seas, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Dave

We have booked balcony staterooms on the front left (fore/port for those of you more experienced than I) and was wondering how the ride is in front for that time of year going out of NJ toward the Caribbean?

If it's rough (is alot), you will be going up and down and many people can't tolerate it. Get your cabins changed.

That time of year, December, January, and February, storms that hit the north east usually come up the coast from the Carolinas. As said before, seas can be rough any time of year, but the probability is greater in winter.

Sorry... it leaves NJ December 19 2010

Come join our Roll Call for the sail leaving 12/19/10

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1030957

As for weather, we have left on the holiday cruise before, seas can be rough. If you do not tend to experience sea sickness you shouldnt have problems.

We were in cabin 1234 last Jan and hit some bad weather for a day or so. 70mph winds and 25 foot seas. They actually closed the promenade deck.

When something like this happens, the whole ship moves. Since motion sickness is not a problem for me or DW, we didn't have a problem with it. It's kind of fun to see breaking waves in the pool.

Once you get south of Hatteras, it should be fine. If you think you might have a problem it's probably a good idea to take some preventative medication. You'll see lots of people with the patch behind their ear. Better to prevent motion sickness than deal with it after you get it.

This only happened in one direction. We are booked again this Jan so we are not worried about it.

How about November 19th? Do the seas tend to be rough then too or is that too early "winter" for the rough seas. I know it can be rough, but is it likely to be?

Do not know if we get seasick as we always take ginger as a preventive med for 2 days before and after. We have never gotten sick, but do not want to skip taking meds to find out. :D

OP, I'm going against the grain here - we had front cabin 9204 on Explorer in September, but to Canada. We LOVED it. The first night we were a little green, not going to lie. But the benefits of this cabin were wonderful. We enjoyed looking straight out the front and a little to the side. If we couldn't have a balcony, this is the cabin I would go for. Just be prepared for extra motion and take precautions, if necessary. The cabin was roomy and comfortable, and yes, it was far away and a long walk but who cares? We were in no hurry to get anywhere. :)

Try not to let others scare you about staterooms at the front- as I said, we had one and loved it.

Sea Bands and Ginger tea do wonders...I dont get seasick but I wear the bands to try and help me get off the ship...it takes me forever to get rid of my sea legs...but I use the SeaBands to help me get off the ship and I take ginger tea in case I or anyone I know would get sick...it helps to sip on it...

I have been on deck 6 forward port and were fine...I believe the movement either agrees or doesnt no matter where you are on the ship...the only reason we have not done an aft yet is because of how far down the hallway it is...go bring the bands and tea just in case...have a great cruise...

You might also find that being outside will help if you start to feel a little sick. I do a lot of sailing (not on cruise ships but on a 40' sailboat) and people with me always seem to better outside than down in the cabin. Of cours on a boat like that when it is really bad you don't want to be on deck unless you have to. Cruise ships are a different story.

The weather is kind of unpredictable. It could be prefectly calm your entire trip. You just want to make sure you take the ounce of prevention.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

We are pretty much committed to the fore port cabins but will stockup on the Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine and heed many of the otehr suggestions (luckily we have a balcony to go to for the open air).

Last thing we want to be is ....Sick for Santa!

Archived