Warning for those travelling with British Airways -- Important -- Please read!

xcountry

I am currently on the July 1 Star Princess with no baggage! Just to warn others who may be flying British Airways through London Heathrow:

There has been a known problem with lost baggage at London -- this past weekend, 1500 bags have been misplaced to Copenhagen alone. There are 75 passengers on this ship who are missing luggage. We received none of our 4 bags and have not been able to contact any British Airway representative directly by phone and e-mails have not been responded to. We flew from SFO on flight 864 arriving in London at 11a with a 12:25p departure for CPH. We were able to make our connection, but our bags did not. If you have a connection with less than 2 hours (especially now with the increased security), check to make sure your bags will make your connection. We arrived 2 days prior to the cruise and our bags were not placed on the next flight to Copenhagen as you might think, but sat at Terminal 1, where we arrived from SFO. The last we heard, the bags moved from terminal 1 to terminal 4 where the planes leave for CPH, but were not assigned to a flight. We were in Stockholm today, 3 days into the cruise and 5 days since arriving in Copenhagen with no bags. BRITISH AIRWAYS WILL NOT COMMUNICATE WITH YOU IF YOUR BAGS ARE MISPLACED OR LOST! Princess has been very accomodating with those passengers with lost luggage. They have offered laundry service and free rental of formal wear.

Sorry to hear about and sorry that you have such problems with British Airways.

I will fly on Saturday to my cruise and have to transfer myself in London-Heathrow.

So the official MININUM transfer time from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 is 75 Minutes incl. bus transfer. You had only 85 minutes. I. e. 10 minutes more than minimum need. I would have rebooked my flight instead of having it so tough.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Boy Xcountry I can feel for you. I don't think it is just British Airways although. In April I flew with 15 students to Israel on El Al Airlines. They lost 10 pieces of luggage from 10 of us. Little by little we received it. My bag took 9 days. We were in a country touring and did not have the chance to really shop for anything. There is nothing more frustrating. I'm glad that Princess is helping you out. I hope you get your bags soon. Enjoy your cruise, and I'm sorry this happened to you!!

Terry

I am currently on the July 1 Star Princess with no baggage! Just to warn others who may be flying British Airways through London Heathrow:

There has been a known problem with lost baggage at London -- this past weekend, 1500 bags have been misplaced to Copenhagen alone. ... We were in Stockholm today, 3 days into the cruise and 5 days since arriving in Copenhagen with no bags. BRITISH AIRWAYS WILL NOT COMMUNICATE WITH YOU IF YOUR BAGS ARE MISPLACED OR LOST! Princess has been very accomodating with those passengers with lost luggage. They have offered laundry service and free rental of formal wear.

Lost bags happen all the time. Is there any particular reason to single out Brit Air and Heathrow? I know it is frustrating, but something every traveler knows may occur. Glad Princess is stepping up to the plate and helping you out.

Have a GREAT cruise!

A futher warning for the next couple days regarding BA and Heathrow. Because of a security situation there today, over 100 flights were cancelled by BA, including most of their flights to the US, which means no flights out of the US heading back east to London, either. If you're flying in the next few days, contact BA NOW to see if you can be reaccommodated elsewhere.

How awful, I can't imagine cruising with no luggage...especially if you are a person of size you can't easily buy replacements on the ship or in any port.

I hope you get them before the cruise ends. At any rate, you will learn what you can do without next time you cruise. :eek:

A futher warning for the next couple days regarding BA and Heathrow. Because of a security situation there today, over 100 flights were cancelled by BA, including most of their flights to the US, which means no flights out of the US heading back east to London, either. If you're flying in the next few days, contact BA NOW to see if you can be reaccommodated elsewhere.

Turn your TV on and watch the news!!!

May you have recognized that the British "World" has changed again since last weekend.

All the flights was cancelled due to an unattendent piece of baggage in Terminal 4 of Heathrow Airport.

Wake up!

Safety first!

Regards,

HeinBloed

What I do when travelling with the family is split clothes between suitcases, so if only one bag were to be lost it would not be a disaster for one person, only a quarter of their clothes would be lost.

They all grumble when unpacking because we have a mess. Last weekend the eldest flew with a group and one lost her bag, she has seen the point in action.

Doesn't work if you are travelling alone,

I have learned the following the hard way when flying overseas to make a cruise:

1) If at all possible, book a direct flight. Your body and your luggage will thank you on arrival.

2) If you cannot book a direct flight, allow plenty of time to make your connection. I usually double what the "recommended minimum" connection time is and use that as MY minimum. Allow longer if going thru CDG and PRAY to the airport gods that your luggage makes it.

3) I always carry at LEAST a change of clothes and underwear in my carry on, just in case; if I can fit an additional top in as well I'm quite happy.

If anyone is in this situaton and can get Internet access, then this page is worth reading. In particular, getting access to the WorldTracer system may help to get you some information, however vestigial.

Unfortunately, bags that misconnect at Heathrow have to go through extra security systems before they are allowed to fly unaccompanied. This means that when things are bad, the delays escalate and mushroom, and the backlog rapidly becomes unmanageable. This is, alas, largely caused by the airlines trying to run operations with few or no excess staff (so that when things go bad there are no reserves), and working at an airport that is handling huge volumes of people and operating way beyond its design capacity.

Sorry to hear that your luggage has not arrived.

I know what you mean about no communication with British Airways...as I have experienced it first hand! :mad:

I will pack a bit extra in my hand luggage to get me by. My flight goes into Heathrow T- 4 and then from T-4 to Copenhagen. Atleast I don't change terminals.

Thanks for the info.

dog

Now I'm worried, we have a flight booked mid August from Copenhagen to Heathrow that will arrive at 11. I don't know the terminal where we will arrive. At 1:40 pm we depart from Terminal 3. Does this seem like it would be a problem? I'm a nervous nilly and this seemed tight when I booked it before any problems.

Heathrow has always been an ill-managed airport, long before the security standards were raised because of terrorist attacks. I remember situations of confusion which I have never experienced on any other airport in the world.

In the European Union, we have currently a discussion on relaxing exaggerated and ineffective security measures (like restrictions of liquids in carry-on baggage), whereas the British seem to tighten them up.

We call this "symbolic politics": government does something which is clearly visible to the public although everybody knows that it is useless. It is like the old quack doctors: the more a therapy hurts the better it must be.

Changing planes in Heathrow will become increasingly risky. There are dozens of other opportunities to reach European destinations like Copenhagen: with SAS directly, with Lufthansa via Frankfurt, with Air France via Paris...

I have flown through Heathrow several times now and I allow myself 3 hours between flights. I have only had delayed luggage once last Dec. 2006 when flights were cancelled because of fog in London, Heathrow. Now with all the security measures, I imagine there will be many delays this summer.

Heathrow has been dreadfully disorganized long before last weekends events and British Airways is notorious for losing luggage. On one trip with them (the last, I might add!) they lost our luggage going to Europe and also on returning home. In addition, clothing was missing from our suitcases when they were finally delivered to our home. Communication with the airline was unsatisfactory! We always pack at least one change of clothes in our carry on "just in case". There are many other large airports in the world that do not suffer from the gross inefficiency for which Heathrow is renowned. How do they manage?

In the European Union, we have currently a discussion on relaxing exaggerated and ineffective security measures (like restrictions of liquids in carry-on baggage), whereas the British seem to tighten them up.

We call this "symbolic politics": government does something which is clearly visible to the public although everybody knows that it is useless. It is like the old quack doctors: the more a therapy hurts the better it must be.

Don't think European Union (Britain is not in the EU :confused: ) is free of silly restrictions. In Madrid last weekend DD had to throw away her eyeliner (really good one apparently) because they would not let her take it on the plane - she had been allowed it in a plastic bag in Manchester.

I fully support the security measures - how does zeitgeist know they have been "ineffective"? What does he want to do - go back to pre 9/11 and let people take whatever they want on planes? I use UK airports regularly and prefer not to use Heathrow as it is just so busy. However, its problems are really a symptom of its success - it has the largest number of international passengers per annum of any airport. Also it would be nice if our overseas friends could show some support at the moment - the problems yesterday were due to a bomb scare, I understand (unattended luggage). We didn't abandon going to or via the US when the US was the target - and according to the front page of the Times today, this current campaign is likely to be against US as well as UK. And for zeitgeist to recommend going via Paris, surely he must be joking...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=584858

I have just read through the above blog and sighed - there is someone who wants to sue because he was taken to Paris. I think we can be pretty sure that it is not any particular airport that is giving trouble and losing bags, causing delays etc - it is the fact that we are flying at all that is the problem.

Maybe we should all just go on boats instead. :D

Hope you and your bags are not parted for long.

Changing planes in Heathrow will become increasingly risky. There are dozens of other opportunities to reach European destinations like Copenhagen: with SAS directly, with Lufthansa via Frankfurt, with Air France via Paris...

We have had no problem with Heathrow as a destination, but because of several previous negative experiences flying through Heathrow, we booked our homeward flight (to Virginia) from Copenhagen through Brussels a few weeks ago. We had no problem making the connection in Brussels--but the bags never made it. Two bags were delivered within 2 days, but the 3rd never left Copenhagen...and finally arrived (miracle of miracles) 6 days later. So--Heathrow is a nightmare, but there are problems everywhere!

I guess the important thing is to concentrate on having a great time..and let the rest of the "stuff" go!

The weather has been terrific and the ports well worth seeing. Our bags did not show up in Helsinki, at at this time, we are not expecting to see them until we get home (hopefully!). I did want to get the word out, so that future baltic travellers would have a heads up and appropriate warning if flying on BA through London!

Like I said before, Princess has taken very good care of us without luggage (and there are quite a few of us). Still no communication with British Airways and it remains unclear how we may be compensated. IF anyone ends up in Copenhagen without luggage, my advice would be to purchase an extra set of clothes or 2 in Copenhagen. Formal wear can be loaned to your from the ship (with Princess, at no cost). Just don't peek under my long black skirt -- you just might see my white socks and athletic shoes!

I will be happy to answer any port questions back on my original thread (July 1 - Star Princess).

We are going tomorrow Morning by BA from Frankfurt via London-Heathrow to Glasgow for Greenock to board BLACK PRINCE of Fred Olsen Line.

Transit time 1.25 hrs but no change of Terminal.

We cross our fingers and should be quite optimistic to made it.

It could happen with ANY Airline on ANY Airport of the World.

So if you check the Lufthansa-Frankfurt Thread...

so if you check the Air France-Paris CDG Thread...

Nobody will write how good it works if it worked well (some exceptions...).

But everybody will write if something is bad. And it appeared as others confirm these experience that it is bad.

It's the minority!!!

Without fear and the knowledge that the British Airways, BAA and British Authorities will do their very best to let us have a safe trip we are looking forward for tomorrows cruise.

So anybody who is travelling far to a cruise: No risk - no fun!

If you want to make a Baltic Cruise you have five options:

- you are lucky that you have a direct flight to the port of embarkment

- you accept that you have a transfer with ANY airline on ANY airport of the world and the risk of loss baggage

- you take a Transatlantic crossing to get to Europe

- you take a cruise from your next port

- you stay home

But why are you going by BA via London? You can also go with SAS via a US-hub - was it cheaper??? You wanted to save money - then accept the fact that there is an additional risk while you are transferring.

It could happen and I am feeling sorry for all who had to experience it.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Unless you work in anti-terrorism, you know nothing.

I have friends who have been pointedly telling me over the last 12 months that the risk of terrorism in the UK is non-existent, and that the government has been hyping all this up just to keep us in a cowed state of fear.

I am sure that they will next be trying to convince me that both the July 2005 bombings and the July 2007 attempted bombings were the work of government agents, desperate to give some credence to the warnings that they have been pumping out.

Archived