Cunard Fare - That was Lucky

ToadOfToadHall

Until yesterday Mr and Mrs Toad were going on a 4 day cruise on the QM2 in October to Hamburg and back with friends. We both booked the Cunard Fare as opposed to the Saver Fare as of course we wanted to ensure we dined together.

Anyway, our friend's daughter has just found out she is in calf and it's due when we are on said cruise so today I changed it to another cruise. It cost £100 to change (plus a bit more because the new cruise is a bit more expensive) but I suppose if we'd had booked the saver fare the whole fare would have been lost (actually, we'd have been okay since we would have still gone).

So now it's New Year in Amsterdam instead.

Whereas if you were living in the US, and as we all know, you could have changed cruises with no charge.........

I hope you make it to Amsterdam :D

Why is that the case? Is it distinct to Cunard, or does it have to do with regulations in the UK? I've asked this several times in response to your frequent posting regarding the disparity - but yes, we all know that booking terms and conditions vary by where the booking is made, as has been frequently mentioned.

In regards to a four day cruise on a Cunard ship, that hasn't been on offer on this side of the pond for years. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't received any offers on a Trans-Atlantic with flights included, and other sweet deals from the UK including hotel stays in NY or children sail for free: further indications of disparity.

Do you really want to keep it up about the differences in booking fares and conditions, because I'm more than willing to discuss the topic. My personal option is that the fares and conditions of booking should be universal. Until such time, the Bottom Line is that conditions vary. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Obviously, it sticks in your craw that there is a difference in booking conditions. Please indicate the best way we can respond to make that change, otherwise we will all need to accept what can't be changed. -S.

Edited by Salacia

I'm actually just amazed that they can pinpoint a due date within 4 days, 8 months out. :)

I've no idea how these things work. Not having any children I wouldn't know which way up to hold one, never mind how they work out due dates or how accurate they are.

I suppose they could have waited until closer the time, but too close and it would have been too late to change. Either way, it will be around the time of our cruise but now it can't possibly be of course.

s it distinct to Cunard, or does it have to do with regulations in the UK?

It's nothing to do with regulations in the UK. Companies can charge whatever they like for changes/cancellations. Some can be quite flexible and use their discretion. For example, in the past I've cancelled the odd hotel booking that had a fee but they have not charged me because it was cancelled very shortly after booking or a long way off (they take the view that it's no problem for them). In my case, the was booked about 5 weeks ago and it's not for another 8 months but Cunard charged me £100 for 10 minutes on the phone. It's not cost them £100 but it's in the booking terms so there we are.

As with most things, companies charge whatever they can get away with. If they started to lose custom over the policy then no doubt they would change it.

As with most things, companies charge whatever they can get away with. If they started to lose custom over the policy then no doubt they would change it.

So does this mean that Cunard lost custom in US some time in the past and changed booking conditions just for there?

David.

Why is that the case? Is it distinct to Cunard, or does it have to do with regulations in the UK? ............-S.

It is distinct to Carnival owned lines in the UK and has no relationship to any regulations.

Celebrity and other RCCL owned lines have much more flexible policies including price drops. That's why I'm happy to book way in advance for Celebrity but I scout carefully for deals with Cunard.

......................Do you really want to keep it up about the differences in booking fares and conditions, because I'm more than willing to discuss the topic. .............

No, it's okay. I suspect it's a topic where we on the other side of the pond won't benefit from your insight.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I have just made final payment for an Oceania cruise in June.

If I had cancelled outside of 91 days the only loss I would have made would have been the TA's 'fine' of £50 pp. My deposit would have been returned.

So, it seems to me that it is the individual Cruise line that sets the different market terms and nothing to do with 'UK regulations'

I suppose they could have waited until closer the time, but too close and it would have been too late to change. Either way, it will be around the time of our cruise but now it can't possibly be of course.

Absolutely right. Anytime close is the time to stay home. Besides, NYE in Amsterdam sounds wonderful. :)

I have just made final payment for an Oceania cruise in June.

If I had cancelled outside of 91 days the only loss I would have made would have been the TA's 'fine' of £50 pp. My deposit would have been returned.

So, it seems to me that it is the individual Cruise line that sets the different market terms and nothing to do with 'UK regulations'

should have said 121 days, my mistake :)

So does this mean that Cunard lost custom in US some time in the past and changed booking conditions just for there?

David.

It's only my guess, but what I find is that all companies will try it on up until the point that they start to lose business. So people in some countries will stand for/accept some things and other's won't.

And in the UK, companies tend to try it on much more than other countries because they know people in the UK don't complain as much.

As an aside, my RAC renewal came last week (I've been with them 21 years) and they had increased it by 20% for the same level of service. I told them to shuve it. They asked if they could speak with me to see what they could do. I told then to shuve it again and told them if they were that bothered about my custom they would not have increased it by 20% in the first place. If enough people tell them the same thing as I just did they will soon stop.

It is distinct to Carnival owned lines in the UK and has no relationship to any regulations.

Celebrity and other RCCL owned lines have much more flexible policies including price drops. That's why I'm happy to book way in advance for Celebrity but I scout carefully for deals with Cunard.

No, it's okay. I suspect it's a topic where we on the other side of the pond won't benefit from your insight.

Chunky, thank you for your response. I had wondered for some time if it was a question of differences in governmental regulations.

Sorry, but I have no insights to offer regarding Cunard's variable booking policies regardless of whether or not you would find them beneficial. But as I have indicated a number of times, I'd prefer that the terms and conditions be universal and not dependent on where the booking is made, and I am struggling to understand why that is not the case. However, if support from fellow passengers and stockholders from outside the UK is undesirable, then so be it. -Salacia

Cunard do have a completely different set of rules for different Countries. Example I have a booking on a Cunard fare that I booked last November. Last week I saw that Club Cabins prices had gone down, So I phoned Cunard to see if I could pay the extra $2400 to upgrade to Club, The reply was that it would cost me $ 4050 I asked why it was $1650 more than the current price & the reason is that that you have to pay the price of the original booking, Now in the States you can cancel with out any lose of deposit & rebook at the New price in the uk you can not, That's NOT good business practise as I have not upgraded & Cunard have lost the $2400 that I would have willingly paid to upgrade but!! I am not paying to be ripped off.

Cunard do have a completely different set of rules for different Countries. Example I have a booking on a Cunard fare that I booked last November. Last week I saw that Club Cabins prices had gone down, So I phoned Cunard to see if I could pay the extra $2400 to upgrade to Club, The reply was that it would cost me $ 4050 I asked why it was $1650 more than the current price & the reason is that that you have to pay the price of the original booking, Now in the States you can cancel with out any lose of deposit & rebook at the New price in the uk you can not, That's NOT good business practise as I have not upgraded & Cunard have lost the $2400 that I would have willingly paid to upgrade but!! I am not paying to be ripped off.

Zider, good for you for resisting an apparent rip-off.

As you mentioned, it is true that deposits will be refunded if Cunard cruises booked in the US are cancelled within 91 days of sail date (exceptions being different cancelations dates for longer voyages, and some special fares offered by travel agents require full payment at the time of booking which is non-refundable).

Similar to the situation you related, prior to final payment, I once offered to pay for a higher grade category after a price decrease on Britannia Club Category for a QM2 cruise that I booked months in advance. I was told that I could cancel my booking and my deposit would be refunded since the sail date was months in the future, but that the OBC would not carry over to the new booking because that offer had expired. Since the OBC was approximately 1,600USD, I decided it was simply not worth it to cancel and rebook a more expensive category.

Are more passengers waiting until closer to sail date to book? If so, from what I've read, there is increasing evidence to indicate it is partly a reaction to inflexible policies regarding price adjustments and paid upgrades. No doubt political unrest and economic uncertainly also plays a part in late bookings, so many more are not booking in advance. The effect this will have on cruise line policies regarding paid upgrades and non-refundable deposits/fares, I have no idea. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Why is that the case? Is it distinct to Cunard, or does it have to do with regulations in the UK? I've asked this several times in response to your frequent posting regarding the disparity - but yes, we all know that booking terms and conditions vary by where the booking is made, as has been frequently mentioned.

In regards to a four day cruise on a Cunard ship, that hasn't been on offer on this side of the pond for years. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't received any offers on a Trans-Atlantic with flights included, and other sweet deals from the UK including hotel stays in NY or children sail for free: further indications of disparity.

Do you really want to keep it up about the differences in booking fares and conditions, because I'm more than willing to discuss the topic. My personal option is that the fares and conditions of booking should be universal. Until such time, the Bottom Line is that conditions vary. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Obviously, it sticks in your craw that there is a difference in booking conditions. Please indicate the best way we can respond to make that change, otherwise we will all need to accept what can't be changed. -S.

Good morning Salacia.

I too would be interested in joining such a debate.

I just love the way these disparities in booking conditions are often utilised as a stick with which to beat the cruise lines. Strange how we never hear of them when there is an advantage already placed under the belt.

Perhaps we should take a look at German & Australian fares on Cunard. The moaning Brits would think they are in Utopia by comparison.

Still, as a Carnival shareholder, I'm very grateful to Mr Toad for the additional contributions to my cruise fund.

Edited by Solent Richard

Good morning Zider. I'm sure we have chatted about Cunard in the past via a different medium.

Could I possibly suggest that in order to place your case with a little more credence you should indicate the rate at which the 'Britannia Club' fare was discounted and whether or not your 'original' fare was also subject to a drop in price.

I don't see it as rocket science to understand that all cruise lines have 'flexi' pricing as demand rises or falls. It's called the market.

It's only my guess, but what I find is that all companies will try it on up until the point that they start to lose business. So people in some countries will stand for/accept some things and other's won't.

And in the UK, companies tend to try it on much more than other countries because they know people in the UK don't complain as much.

As an aside, my RAC renewal came last week (I've been with them 21 years) and they had increased it by 20% for the same level of service. I told them to shuve it. They asked if they could speak with me to see what they could do. I told then to shuve it again and told them if they were that bothered about my custom they would not have increased it by 20% in the first place. If enough people tell them the same thing as I just did they will soon stop.

Ha ha. The problem with telling them to 'shuv' it is that you don't get what you originally wanted.

In the case of cruising that speaks for itself.

Personally I decide what cruise I want to take and look at the prices on offer at the time. If that price is acceptable then I agree to pay it.

Searching the internet at later stages to check-out prices on what I had originally agreed to sounds pretty self defeating to me.

There is also another draw back - certainly if you let it get to you - your frame of mind when you get to do that cruise.

Not if you live in US it isn't

David.

David, you're right: anyone booking in the US should check for reductions in price and request an adjustment provided the reduction in cost is prior to final payment date, and in accordance with terms and conditions of initial booking arrangements. Just to mention that it might not be as easy as it seems: there are special sales that require full non-refundable payment at the time of booking, some travel agents charge for changes in bookings, and there are also terms and conditions such as OBC that are cancelled if a lower fare is applied.

My personal observation is that the price for unsold cabins declines 90 days or less prior to sail date - which is after final payment date in the US. For US passengers who require flight arrangements to meet the ship (and most Cunard voyages sail from Europe), the cost savings is a challenge to compute. -S.

Edited by Salacia