Here is something you might enjoy...

Silver Sweethearts

As southerngirl528 notes on the Duke's thread, "Certainly agree as to the special occasion meals. And just to be clear though DH and I definitely enjoy indulging in some fabulous meals while in Hawaii, much of what we love and long for from here on the mainland is far more reasonable fare. Like great poke from either the Lahaina Farms Foodland or Tamura's. Or the AMAZING Hot and Sour soup at Star Noodle. Or a wonderful breakfast at the Gazebo or Sea House. Delicious shave ice at Ululani's. A lunch special at Roy's. Coconut shrimp ordered from the pool servers while sitting in our casabella at our TS at Maui Ocean Club. *sigh* Those are just a few of the things we love about food in Hawaii.

Last trip Costco had some great discounted gift cards to a couple of our favorite restaurants and we scooped several of those up! Yay!!"

She has given everyone a lot of good tips that aren't run-of-the-mill things. It would be interesting if everyone would add one or two current favorite tips of their own. We'll start out with one we mentioned before - "A Class Act" restaurant at the University of Hawaii Maui Campus. Google it for an explanation. It should start accepting reservations for lunch (only) any day now, and the place does sell out quickly. This won't work for cruise ship passengers, but if you are here and can be free Wednesdays and Fridays, it is an idea.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention this, but there's an awesome science and science fiction convention on the big island in the middle of September called HawaiiCon. Last year was their inaugural year, and my first experience in Hawaii. It is my reason for going back this year, and probably for years to come. If there are any fans of science fiction...it is BY FAR the best convention I've ever been to :)

As southerngirl528 notes on the Duke's thread, "Certainly agree as to the special occasion meals. And just to be clear though DH and I definitely enjoy indulging in some fabulous meals while in Hawaii, much of what we love and long for from here on the mainland is far more reasonable fare. Like great poke from either the Lahaina Farms Foodland or Tamura's. Or the AMAZING Hot and Sour soup at Star Noodle. Or a wonderful breakfast at the Gazebo or Sea House. Delicious shave ice at Ululani's. A lunch special at Roy's. Coconut shrimp ordered from the pool servers while sitting in our casabella at our TS at Maui Ocean Club. *sigh* Those are just a few of the things we love about food in Hawaii.

Last trip Costco had some great discounted gift cards to a couple of our favorite restaurants and we scooped several of those up! Yay!!"

She has given everyone a lot of good tips that aren't run-of-the-mill things. It would be interesting if everyone would add one or two current favorite tips of their own. We'll start out with one we mentioned before - "A Class Act" restaurant at the University of Hawaii Maui Campus. Google it for an explanation. It should start accepting reservations for lunch (only) any day now, and the place does sell out quickly. This won't work for cruise ship passengers, but if you are here and can be free Wednesdays and Fridays, it is an idea.

I commented on southerngirl's thread elsewhere that I would love to know the locations of the restaurants she mentioned and also how to get the Costco Restaurant Gift cards.

I'll mention our favorite Oahu restaurant here. It has both great food, a lovely setting and is very inexpensive, especially compared to Hawaii's usual high prices.

It is Lei Lei's on the golf course at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore. Open for 3 meals daily. The dinner servings are more than enough for two to share and they do not frown on sharing entres. We fell in love with the Double Cut Pork Loin Chops, slow roasted then grilled, with Rum Cherry Glaze and served two to the plate. A huge serving! After DH was stumped on cleaning his plate the first outing, next visit we asked to share and still had one huge chop each. At about $15 pp if sharing, this is a real bargain for Hawaii. Ask to sit on the outdoor patio next to the golf course.

Aloha Silver Sweethearts,

First, what a lovely compliment coming from an experienced traveler like yourself! Mahalo! And secondly, I LOVE the idea of this thread! Let's see if I can add one or 2 more for "our" beloved Maui:

Paia Fish Market has already been mentioned in the other thread but we LOVE it. Definitely in the "un-fancy" realm. :D Lulu's in Lahaina at the Cannery Mall has very good breakfast with amazing cinnamon rolls we have had some really bad service there a couple of times. Leoda's Pie Kitchen in Oluwalu (which is mauka/toward the mountains on the highway into Lahaina) is quite yummy. Especially their little pies and au gratin potatoes! And their fried brussel sprouts salad! I know, sounds weird and I LOATHE brussels sprouts, but that salad is pretty good!

ANd the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts right across from the Maui Coscto, right on your way leaving the OGG airport, has some very fun local tee shirts you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. Pretty cute. And those evil doughnuts…. mmmmm.

Da Kitchen is very popular with locals for typical plate lunches...large portions of Ono-licious grindz! :D They have table service at Triangle Square near the airport in Kahului & order at the counter to eat at tables in Kihei.

The Maui Costco has a good selection of gift cards for restaurants & activities on the Valley Isle and their deli area has several types of poke.

Punkincc, I did another post on that thread to let you know where those restaurants are.

Gazebo and Sea House are in Napili, Maui, which is north of the Ka'anapali resort area, pretty close to Kapalua. Views from both of these restaurants are truly fabulous with Gazebo being more oriented toward Moloka'i. These are both great breakfast places but with the Gazebo you need to get there early and line up as it is a very tiny place.

Star Noodle and Tamura's are mauka (toward the mtns) across from the Cannery Mall. Both are pretty close to the top of that industrial type area. And the Lahaina Farms Foodland is right across Honoapi'ilani Hwy from the Cannery Mall.

Da Kitchen is very popular with locals for typical plate lunches...large portions of Ono-licious grindz! :D They have table service at Triangle Square near the airport in Kahului & order at the counter to eat at tables in Kihei.

The Maui Costco has a good selection of gift cards for restaurants & activities on the Valley Isle and their deli area has several types of poke.

Remember when Andrew Zimmern from "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel went to Da Kitchen in Wailuku and had to admit there are two foods in the world that he WON'T eat - walnuts and Spam? The chef made up some dishes with Spam and he could hardly do one bite. Go figure. We ate there and it was a good local experience.

Has anyone been to Aria's on Vineyard in Wailuku for lunch? Seems sort of trendy and perhaps a little much for what it is. Oh, just remembered the question about what resort the Gazebo is in. It is the Napili Shores Resort. We never tried it because we don't live in the area.

We were on a quest for a while for a great Reuben sandwich, and happened by the restaurant in the Kahili Golf Course clubhouse in Waikapu. The food and the inside of the place itself is not special, but a sandwich and a glass of wine or a cold beer while dining on their patio is very pleasant and the view across the valley to Haleakala is quite nice. A late lunch might be best, as it was crowded between 1 and 2 p.m.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Remember when Andrew Zimmern from "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel went to Da Kitchen in Wailuku and had to admit there are two foods in the world that he WON'T eat - walnuts and Spam? The chef made up some dishes with Spam and he could hardly do one bite. Go figure. We ate there and it was a good local experience.

Could you be thinking of Anthony Bourdain at Tasty Crust in Wailuku? Da Kitchen is only in Kihei & Kahului. :)

Anthony Bourdain recently had a program at Tasty Crust and I confirmed my memory by looking at Da Kitchen's menu and the only Spam option at both locations was Musubi.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Could you be thinking of Anthony Bourdain at Tasty Crust in Wailuku? Da Kitchen is only in Kihei & Kahului. :)

Anthony Bourdain recently had a program at Tasty Crust and I confirmed my memory by looking at Da Kitchen's menu and the only Spam option at both locations was Musubi.

We can't figure out why we said Wailuku (probably thinking about Aria's). We go past Da Kitchen in Triangle Square in KAHULUI all the time.

As to Andrew Zimmern and Bizarre Foods, we had to confirm our memory too and found this on a TV website:

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern Season 3 Episode 8

Hawaii

AIRED: 10/28/08

"Andrew explores all of the wonderful local cuisine that Hawaii has to offer. He certainly looks beyond the typical tourist fare. Some of Andrew's dishes include: poi, octopus, raw bonefish, roasted pig, spam salad, spam sushi, pinapple spam upside down cake, wild boar na'au (organs and blood), lavender seasonings on lamb and fish, raw Maui onions, roasted goat, snails and fermented soy beans, and goat intestine soup."

As noted, that was in 2008. The underlined part came from Da Kitchen. Guess the items didn't do well enough to be offered these days.

Speaking of Anthony Bourdain he seemed to like Grandma's Coffee House, A place we intend to stop at in April.

1601483_890710194283469_8469909514076074965_n.jpg?oh=38016f5f1c9adeed28a941046686187a&oe=563ABAD2

We can't figure out why we said Wailuku (probably thinking about Aria's). We go past Da Kitchen in Triangle Square in KAHULUI all the time.

As to Andrew Zimmern and Bizarre Foods, we had to confirm our memory too and found this on a TV website:

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern Season 3 Episode 8

Hawaii

AIRED: 10/28/08

"Andrew explores all of the wonderful local cuisine that Hawaii has to offer. He certainly looks beyond the typical tourist fare. Some of Andrew's dishes include: poi, octopus, raw bonefish, roasted pig, spam salad, spam sushi, pinapple spam upside down cake, wild boar na'au (organs and blood), lavender seasonings on lamb and fish, raw Maui onions, roasted goat, snails and fermented soy beans, and goat intestine soup."

As noted, that was in 2008. The underlined part came from Da Kitchen. Guess the items didn't do well enough to be offered these days.

Mahalo...someone at Da Kitchen must have really liked Spam or they knew he didn't like Spam & wanted to mess with him. ;)

I appreciate you posting about "A Class Act" restaurant & plan to try it in the fall. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Any suggestions for Kauai? We keep it casual so we have been to places like Hanalei Dolphin, Shrimp Shack, Feral Pig. Many years ago we went to House of Noodles but recent reviews make it sound hit or miss. It would be nice if someone had a recent review for that one. :)

We try to stay away from the eateries in the big hotels for no better reason than we don't want to hassle stopping at a hotel. :p

Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar located oceanfront at Ka'anapali's Whaler Village is a fun place we go when having visitors.

You're seated on umbrella covered tables in the sand across from the beach & they often have live entertainment. The menu is mostly items in the $15-$20 price range & are tasty to us and Ohana. If going to there, like many Whalers Village restaurants they provide a couple of hours of validated parking.

http://www.hulagrillkaanapali.com/menus/barefoot-bar

Edited by Astro Flyer

Any suggestions for Kauai? We keep it casual so we have been to places like Hanalei Dolphin, Shrimp Shack, Feral Pig. Many years ago we went to House of Noodles but recent reviews make it sound hit or miss. It would be nice if someone had a recent review for that one. :)

We try to stay away from the eateries in the big hotels for no better reason than we don't want to hassle stopping at a hotel. :p

You might check out the listings on Trip Advisor. In the Poipu area, which we are thinking of exploring next trip, Tidepools at the Hyatt ( surrounded by Koi ponds ) sounds interesting but it may be a little more expensive.

When we planned our last trip, there was a Poipu area restaurant with a great beach bar which was very popular for casual dining and watching the sunsets, but I would have to research to find it again. Maybe someone here knows?

You might check out the listings on Trip Advisor. In the Poipu area, which we are thinking of exploring next trip, Tidepools at the Hyatt ( surrounded by Koi ponds ) sounds interesting but it may be a little more expensive.

When we planned our last trip, there was a Poipu area restaurant with a great beach bar which was very popular for casual dining and watching the sunsets, but I would have to research to find it again. Maybe someone here knows?

Thanks but as I kind of said that is the type of l place we tend to avoid, restaurants in the big hotels. But thanks for the suggestion. [emoji3]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
For those who were interested, luncheon reservations for A Class Act restaurant at UHMC just opened this afternoon. Go through Open Table to see the menus and such.

Mahalo :)

Hopefully you didn't get flooded from the storm in Upcountry.

Hopefully you didn't get flooded from the storm in Upcountry.

We got less than two inches of rain yesterday, and it was gentle. It looks like rain any minute though this afternoon, but it probably won't last long.

As to A Class Act, we were a bit disappointed to see the menu is quite similar to what they served last semester. We had hoped for something new. At least we know which dishes to order or avoid, and the prices have remained the same. It is an interesting experience.

We got less than two inches of rain yesterday, and it was gentle. It looks like rain any minute though this afternoon, but it probably won't last long.

As to A Class Act, we were a bit disappointed to see the menu is quite similar to what they served last semester. We had hoped for something new. At least we know which dishes to order or avoid, and the prices have remained the same. It is an interesting experience.

That's good that the storm wasn't too bad...any recommendations for the meal?

That's good that the storm wasn't too bad...any recommendations for the meal?

As a side note, the meal starts with an amuse bouche. The appetizer is a given, but you have your choice of salad or soup and then the entree. We have tried all of the menus except Moroccan, which was not offered last semester. We cannot agree with some of the reviews claiming a fantastic, flawless meal, but it is something different. Google "A Class Act Open Table" and read the three reviews written by "Upcountrians" for our recommendations or lack thereof.

As a side note, the meal starts with an amuse bouche. The appetizer is a given, but you have your choice of salad or soup and then the entree. We have tried all of the menus except Moroccan, which was not offered last semester. We cannot agree with some of the reviews claiming a fantastic, flawless meal, but it is something different. Google "A Class Act Open Table" and read the three reviews written by "Upcountrians" for our recommendations or lack thereof.