Live from the Greatest Ship Afloat!

Kindlychap

Watching Queen Victoria speeding along...………..at nineteen knots……

I don’t really need to say who said this at noon today, do I?

Southampton was a nightmare for some. We arrived at about 12.45 and were directed to what appeared at first glance to be the normal queue, but was in fact the priority queue – with about half the check in desks allocated to it. Although there was a queue it wasn’t enough to be a problem, and we walked on once we were upstairs, found our cupboard, and then went for a bite to eat in the Lido. Yes. You read that right.

The hot buffet in the Lido was fine (so that is 100% for food quality from there in two visits) but I really cannot get to like the place. It still looks like the Watford Gap Services. We then went to afternoon tea, and before I’d had much of a chance to do anything, Kirsten had bumped into “CunardFirstTimer” and was nattering away. Frances (and her husband Brian) and us had a long chat and it was good to meet them. Over the next hour or so a number of Winter Crossers were seen, and the band began to play for tea. The band was, I gather, the Royal British Legion, and were playing in the embarkation hall when we boarded. Very much the same as last year.

I eventually telephoned Fabio to be told that he was in the queue shoreside, had been there for an hour and expected to be there for another hour. Poor chap – what an introduction to the greatest ship afloat. He made it on board just in time for the delayed emergency drill, and we found him in our muster station (Caronia). I didn’t give the tour I was planning, as it was quite clear that the priorities were to hang up his suit for the evening and (which was apparent from looking at him!) getting him a drink. We managed that, with champagne, and then went on deck for the (very impressive) fireworks and to watch Osborne House sail past us. She opened the whistle salute (and by this time we were on the Sun Deck forward observation deck) before we returned three wonderfully long blasts of our whistle. Talk about David and Goliath! The ship and the house exchanged whistle salutes again and again – against a background of Elgar. Very moving, especially when (as we all know) it was the last time that this will happen. Just one of many such final events of2008…..

Once we’d set sail we went inside, unpacked and went up to the Chart Room and met most of the Cruise Critic goup.

Turning to my personal observations. We’re in a Q4 cabin which is smaller than we are used to. Walk in wardrobe, which is nice, and the bathroom is fine. However it seems warm – and Bluey was a bit put out that the porthole was so far above the place he’d thought of sitting. Kirsten sorted him out a pillow, and he spent yesterday looking out at Osbourne House. I’m sure he was chucking to himself at one point…..

Queens Grill is superb. There is no question whatsoever that standards are falling. Everything has been done that one would expect – our sommelier (who we’d never met) had been briefed on our likes, and the waiter and waitress were known to us already. Dennis has been keeping an eye out for us, as indeed he has been for others. We’re next (table) to a couple we’ve been on a couple of trips with before, and this is great. It is obvious that there are a lot of regulars, and although I am getting the impression that we get special treatment, looking around I would imagine that everyone else in the restaurant would have the same idea too.

Reports via Fabio from the Caronia are encouraging. I haven’t spoken to Babette about standards there, but I’m guessing that we’d know if she wasn’t happy! It’s been great to meet her – and we’re enjoying her company greatly. She and Fabio are on the Chief Engineer’s table, which I’m really pleased about – it is nice to think that Fabio is being treated well. He’s actually taken to the liner life like a duck to water – it wouldn’t surprise me if he tries to book another crossing before the end is nigh.

We’ve had the odd service issue in the Chart Room – of all places. Kirsten and I had to ask for someone to take an order, which is unheard of. John has had the same difficulty as well. This seems to be one individual only however. Other than that, I cannot think of anything that I could complain of, even if I wanted to….. Apart from being given a red edged card on boarding….. However that has been sorted out now.

The ship has a happy feel about it, the crew seem to take a genuine pride in what they do and there is no impression whatsoever that this is a ship where the death warrant has already been signed. My feeling, having talked to a number of the senior crew (senior in terms of service, not rank) is that their innate pride in the greatest ship afloat will carry RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 to a glorious finale.

Matthew

Matthew, I really appreciate your taking the time to post. And I am truly sorry that I am not onboard! Watching the webcam earlier this a.m. the waves looked wonderful! It is a shame that QE2 isn't able to run full speed ahead. Can you suggest to the captain that he run ahead a bit and then come back to make sure that Osbourne House is still chugging along? :rolleyes:

And it sounds like Fabio is settling in nicely and that he is able to dine with Babette.

Keep the updates coming.

Bettie

Matthew,

Delighted to hear that the trip has started so well. From our Christmas experience, I can echo much of what you say about the Queen's Grill - although watch out for cold plates and thus cold food - and about the Chart Room - stangely out of sorts during our voyage, inconsistent and occasionally disinterested service. Other that that we found that standards remain high and commitment to - and pride in - the ship remains high amongst the wonderful staff.

Despite having only just left, I wish I was back on board with you all!

Gavin

PS Could I ask you to be so kind as to tell Chuck in the QG bar that Sandra (Mrs Adam to her) is continuing to improve and is almost fully recovered? Many thanks.

Watching Queen Victoria speeding along...………..at nineteen knots……

I don’t really need to say who said this at noon today, do I?

Has he done the line about the passengers on QV having the better view? :D

The hot buffet in the Lido was fine (so that is 100% for food quality from there in two visits) but I really cannot get to like the place. It still looks like the Watford Gap Services.

Matthew

Oh, now that's an exaggeration. We had lunch at the Watford Gap on our drive to Yorkshire in November, and I have to say the Lido is better than that!

Thanks for posting, look forward to more. Regards to Bluey, I know that a porthole isn't quite as good as a deck chair, but he'll get used to it.

Kathy

Matthew

Live from the Greatest Ship Afloat!

When I read that I thought you were in Long Beach! :p Just teasing!;)

Enjoy your time on your beautiful Elizabeth. I'm very excited to see her on Sunday.

Have a fabulous time!

Betsy

Thank you for posting Matthew; I'm almost back on board in my mind, and wish I were in reality. In August, service in the Chart Room was very patchy but excellent in the Lido (which I like considerably better than Watford Gap, and King's Court for that matter).

Continue to have a wonderful trip,

Mary

Okay.

The Lido isn't as bad as a real motorway service station. However it isn't a particularly nice area.

Bluey was horrified (and a little scared) when the stewardess closed the curtains on him, and left him behind the curtains looking out into the inky blackness.....

Maureen (Penthouse butler) wouldn't have done that.... He's already nostalgic about Signal Deck, and - if anything - is complaining more than Kirsten.

Our Virgin flight is okay now, as they have settled, and Bluey tells me that he intends to sit on the ottoman, and that I can put my feet elsewhere. He's beginning to really like the high life.

Matthew

Matthew,

Delighted to read that all is going well and that you even have a source of amusement close by.

Please pass my regards to Thomas. I believe that he was due to rejoin the ship for the beginning of the World Cruise.

Thank you,

David

QV's bridge is alarmingly close to the waterline...

Brilliant! It looks like that Carnival ship in a Hurricane that people claim is faked......this one certainly isn't!

Matthew,

Delighted to hear things are going well - do keep us posted - any chance you'll be on the 8 nighter next year?

Peter

Hi Matthew

Glad to hear things seem to be improving service wise - as you know was very disappointed on my last Oct 2007 QE2 cruise - & certainly had many issues re staff's attitude to guests & an effort to serve them in the bars & as for the Queens Grill - even a simple request to dine in the Princess Grill caused issues!!!!

Is Arnulfo still in the QG bar lounge behind the bar? If so please say hello to him from me, just say it's 'Mr Smith from Med Sojourn Oct 07, Fjords July 2006 & Autumn Colour 06' - on all these cruises he was serving in either the QG lounge bar or the Golden Lion.

have a great crossing & please say hello to Kirsten for me,

Kind Regards,

Richard

There are absolutely STUNNING photos of QE2 and QV tackling the seas yesterday on the Linerslist. They are definitely the best photos of QE2 I've ever seen.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/photos/browse/3e43

QV's bridge is alarmingly close to the waterline...

Wow! Great photos. Wonder if they're closing the deadlights?

Kathy

Of course there are many other CC contributors on board who are also having a great time despite never having reached the elevated heights of Kindlychap, and who are quite happy to use the Lido, or the Pavilion.

While we are over here and the floating brick is over there all is right with the world!!

Hi Dad (Can't be bothered signing in as me, Lexxity for other users) how's the ice cream? :D

Weather here is grim, grim, grim. Wet and windy, but all holding up well. Animals all ok, except our stupid cat knocked a cup of tea on her today. She's ok though.

See you on Sunday. Call me as you disembark.

"Live from the Greatest Ship Afloat!"

You're on Queen Mary 2?

:D :D :D :D :

Sorry Matthew...the evil twin made me do that!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC

"Live from the Greatest Ship Afloat!"

You're on Queen Mary 2?

Pepper, you're naughty!

:D :D :D :D :

Sorry Matthew...the evil twin made me do that!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC

Penny! I'm SHOCKED!

You two are incorrigible.

When is your twin book deal being inked?

KP

Is Arnulfo still in the QG bar lounge behind the bar? If so please say hello to him from me, just say it's 'Mr Smith from Med Sojourn Oct 07, Fjords July 2006 & Autumn Colour 06' - on all these cruises he was serving in either the QG lounge bar or the Golden Lion.

Richard,

He's off at the moment - due back in April at the end of the World Cruise.

Gavin

Archived