Hot of the Press - the TRUE arrival times of Cunarders tomorrow in New York.

Kindlychap

The arrival times of the three ships tomorrow at Ambrose Light will be as follows:

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - 04.00

RMS Queen Mary 2 - 04.15

MV Queen Victoria - 04.30.

The ships will enter the harbour in that order.

The QM2 will lead the cavalcade in the evening, then QE2 and then QV.

At noon today we had 390 nautical miles to do, and 17 hours to do it in.

QV has done it!

Matthew

Thanks for the update Matthew - good to see Mrs Brown/Osborne House confound the doubters......to think some thought that the QE2 would go sprinting off and leave her in her wake. The QE2 is a lady, and her Captain and Officers gentlemen......

Actually, I think one could construct an argument that the laurels on this crossing belong to Osborne House - she has achieved the timetable against significant odds and will be there on time.

Of course QE2 can do it - it is a walk in the park for her - but I think we ought to give credit where credit is due.

I'm still glad I'm on QE2 though!

Matthew

Well done to QV indeed - It sounds like she's been running at right up to the maximum speed she achieved on trials, for considerable lengths of time. Must be fun for the engineers, they won't be allowed to do that very often!

The arrival times of the three ships tomorrow at Ambrose Light will be as follows:

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - 04.00

RMS Queen Mary 2 - 04.15

MV Queen Victoria - 04.30.

The ships will enter the harbour in that order. The QM2 will lead the cavalcade in the evening, then QE2 and then QV.

My apologies in advance if this was covered somewhere else, but how do these late arrivals translate to disembarkation times for the passengers? Are passengers from all three Queens disembarking at night? Or are they staying on board until Monday morning?

Paul

My apologies in advance if this was covered somewhere else, but how do these late arrivals translate to disembarkation times for the passengers? Are passengers from all three Queens disembarking at night? Or are they staying on board until Monday morning?

Paul

These times are for Ambrose light, not the docks. Amrose light is where they pick up the harbor pilot. It's farther out than you might expect. An hour? hour and a half? from there to the tip of Manhattan? Does someone know for sure, I cant remember.

Kathy

how do these late arrivals translate to disembarkation times for the passengers?

They are not late arrival times - arriving off Ambrose around 04.00 is perfectly normal for a Trans Atlantic - I expect once they sail into New York disembarkation will commence around the normal times - with ships' clearance being the usual hold up - oh dear - we've got 3 ships in today!

Are passengers from all three Queens disembarking at night? Or are they staying on board until Monday morning?

You are not mistaking 04.00 for 4.00 pm are you? That's 16.00.

Paul

The ships are NOT arriving late. The arrival times posted by Matthew are for tomorrow morning, not afternoon. All of the ships should be at their piers by at least 7:00 am I would assume. I hope they're not staying on board until Monday morning :eek: since I plan on boarding the QV around this time tomorrow afternoon! :D Looking forward to the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty in about 29 hours from right now! :)

Paul

These are not late arrivals (4:00 to 4:30 AM ). They might even be a little early.

So desembarkation should be the normal morning type.

I think Matthew's reference to "evening" in his message threw me off.

"The QM2 will lead the cavalcade in the evening, then QE2 and then QV."

The reference to evening then is the procession *out* of port then?

I think Matthew's reference to "evening" in his message threw me off.

"The QM2 will lead the cavalcade in the evening, then QE2 and then QV."

The reference to evening then is the procession *out* of port then?

You got it! :)

My apologies for the daft moment there. I read Matthew's email and did not separate arrival times from his subsequent evening reference. With all the earlier talk of the QV, I thought the whole event was being staggered.

I am trying to make up my mind if I want to drive 3 hours to NYC to witness the event. If all three Queens were at the mid town piers it would make my decision a little easier. But a 6 hour round trip sounds a couple of hours too steep. I will be keeping my eye on the weather forecast regarding the snow "showers."

Paul

Paul

I see you figured it out.:) The board threw me off for a while. When I was able to post again there were a bunch of posts. Grrr

My apologies for the daft moment there. I read Matthew's email and did not separate arrival times from his subsequent evening reference. With all the earlier talk of the QV, I thought the whole event was being staggered.

I am trying to make up my mind if I want to drive 3 hours to NYC to witness the event. If all three Queens were at the mid town piers it would make my decision a little easier. But a 6 hour round trip sounds a couple of hours too steep. I will be keeping my eye on the weather forecast regarding the snow "showers."

Paul

If you're 3 hours from NYC in New England, I don't think you'll be getting "showers." The last time I checked the Weather Channel site, NYC would get showers starting around 9 PM. I hope it doesn't start earlier than that.

Kathy

Paul

Paul,

Take the train down. Even if Springfield is the closest place where you can get on the train, it will be a sight to behold! Or if Amtrak times don't work out (I hadn't looked) you can drive into New Haven and take Metro North in. That's what Marc and I plan on doing. Metro north both cheaper and better timetables.

We will be on the Zephyr (out of South St Seaport)

Hope to see you there.

Karie

Paul,

Take the train down. Even if Springfield is the closest place where you can get on the train, it will be a sight to behold! Or if Amtrak times don't work out (I hadn't looked) you can drive into New Haven and take Metro North in. That's what Marc and I plan on doing. Metro north both cheaper and better timetables.

We will be on the Zephyr (out of South St Seaport)

Hope to see you there.

Karie

Karie,

If only I could take the train! I am in upstate NY right now with no train option unfortunately. Probably will drive if the weather holds out and take the Weehawken ferry over during the day, to midtown for a view of QE2 and QV, and then go to Lower Manhattan by evening for the big event. The Zephyr website reports that it is sold out. Too bad, it looks like a good setup. Ah, to have planned in advance! And ah, if only this event was not threatened with a snowstorm. The logistical plot thickens.

Paul

These times are for Ambrose light, not the docks. Amrose light is where they pick up the harbor pilot. It's farther out than you might expect. An hour? hour and a half? from there to the tip of Manhattan? Does someone know for sure, I cant remember.

All depends on maritime traffic in the Harbor. Usually you have heavy traffic this time of the year due to the heating oil demands in the region. From Ambrose light to RedHook is about 1 Hour 20 minutes with light traffic. From Ambrose to Manahattan Pier would be an additional 15 minutes. 0400-0430

is somehat early for a pilot pickup.

All depends on Maritime traffic for the Harbor and Bay. You will encounter an increase in maritime traffic this time of year due to the increase in fuel oil demands for this region. From Ambrose light to Red Hook Brooklyn would be

about a 75 min Journey with light traffic. Add an additional 20 minutes to the Piers in Manhattan. 0400-0430 is somewhat early for a pilot station arrival.

Paul, Hadn't realized you were in upstate NY. Though I suppose it would be self-defeating to swing over to Housatonic RR (Do they run on weekends? May only be commuter- not sure) or into New Haven.

Sorry.

Hope we see you there.

although, since Marc and I will be on the Zephyr, along with a number of folks getting off the various Queens tomorrow morning, we'll not likely see you. We'll be embarking South Street Seaport, then going over to the Lady and the Queens for the fireworks and presentation of the fleet! (so to speak!) I think Circle cruises and NY taxi had some rather cheap cruises going out. I have both bookmarked. NY Water Taxi had open bar- seems like around $60. Circle Line (not the Zephyr one) had a simple $30 or so with concession stand on board if you want to buy anything.

If you are interested I can post the urls.

Karie

P.S. Still have two kittens that need homes. Yours must need young playmates, no? <G> We could bring them! Just kidding! Wouldn't dare!

Archived