Flight times from UK

cuzzie

Have a read of the Cruise Air board here for up to date flight info and advice. You may want to consider an airline with a frequent flyer programme and the benefits of that programme. Compare prices of flights and whether you want to purchase your flights independently or via RCCL. Booking through RCCL you lose control over your booking but will have transfers included and some security should flights be delayed.

Hey,

Depends on where in Florida you want to get to!

Direct flights to Miami/Orlando from London as others have suggested.

If you want to fly into Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood Airport, (if wanting to get closer to Port Everglades) then you will need to go 'via' somewhere OR factor in travel time from the Miami International Airport.

What is certain is that you'll need to get to Florida at least a day before the cruise leaves.

For my next cruise, I am flying from LHR via Dallas Fort Worth to Fort Lauderdale as this flight was actually £100 cheaper (at time of booking) than flying direct to Miami - the cruise leaves from Port Everglades.

Hope this helps!

Hi

I used RCI for the flights for our upcoming Freedom trip and chose flights from Heathrow on my booking...when the flights were actually added to the booking they were via Philadelphia. I rang to query and I was told there were no direct flights from Heathrow with the carrier they were using (think this was United...but not sure :o)

I swapped to Gatwick and was able to directs with Vrgin :D

Agreed on the flight times from LHR to MIA, 9.5 / 8.5 hrs roughly.

Also, as an FYI, Fort Lauderdale FLL will soon start construction of a new, longer runway in the attempt to attract more international flights (think the ability to accommodate big wide body jets). They definitely want to take some international business away from MIA!

Finally, and though I understand how it is being used in this thread, a "direct" flight is not the same as a "non-stop" flight. A "direct" flight always includes a stop along the way but usually with the same plane / flight number.

:):) We have been on 5 Caribbean Cruises with RCI.

We have let them arrange our flights each time .

We have sailed out both of Miami and Fort Launderdale .

We fly from Manchester to Heathrow , then onwards

We have never had direct flights, we have changed at Chicago or Philadelphia .

The hotels that they allocate us for the night before the cruises are usually superb .

Finally, and though I understand how it is being used in this thread, a "direct" flight is not the same as a "non-stop" flight. A "direct" flight always includes a stop along the way but usually with the same plane / flight number.

My flight from Heathrow to Miami was direct and non-stop. Unless you looking to do a Heathrow to Miami to Heathrow as being a direct trip.

Check if the flights are cheaper booking yourself because what RCI was quoting me next August was laughable (even their representative commented on how expensive they were), especially as they won't guarantee a straight through flight without changing planes somewhere in the US. Going out of season, RCI may offer more reasonable flight costs but it's best to check what's on offer.

Do a flight search on one of the search engine sites and they will list all the options of carriers for you. Virgin and BA go from Gatwick to MCO (Orlando) and lots of other carriers go via hubs, even Canada Air flying via Toronto offers some very good prices from LHR. It depends if you want the security of flying with the cruise company or not. Always plan to fly in a few days early if you book your own flights. We think the hotel prices are very reasonable in the Orlando area compared to other big cities.

Flight times will obviously differ depending on whether you have connecting flights or direct without stops - minimum 9ish to anything up to 24 hrs.

My flight from Heathrow to Miami was direct and non-stop. Unless you looking to do a Heathrow to Miami to Heathrow as being a direct trip.

Techically you are correct, but the airline will label that flight as a non-stop because it doesn't. It goes without saying it is indeed a direct flight also.

Typically, flights that depart from one side of the ocean to the other side, will be on large long range aircraft. If your final destination is not the same as where you first land, you will have change to a smaller plane that is more suited to that particular route.

Thankyou all for your replies - I have just spoken to my TA and there are no direct flights from Heathrow to Orlando (I thought it was Miami!! lol), so we are now booked on to a flight out of Gatwick with BA and its saved us £210!! Glad I asked now this means more rum for me then!! :D Thanks to all once again xx

Techically you are correct, but the airline will label that flight as a non-stop because it doesn't. It goes without saying it is indeed a direct flight also.

Typically, flights that depart from one side of the ocean to the other side, will be on large long range aircraft. If your final destination is not the same as where you first land, you will have change to a smaller plane that is more suited to that particular route.

Not quite sure I have understood your post. I am flying LGW - SJU with a stop in Antigua. No change of plane. I get confused easily.....

Not quite sure I have understood your post. I am flying LGW - SJU with a stop in Antigua. No change of plane. I get confused easily.....

We are flying to SJ for our cruise on Brilliance in Febuary but our flights are via Miami outbound and NY return! It's making for very long travel times! We asked about changing to Gatwick or getting better flights a few months ago but was told there were no flights available. Did you book flights through RCI? We flew to Antigua a few years ago and our Virgin plane went on to SJ so I assumed our flights would be the same route.

I'm really hoping we can change!

I knew someone would find a flaw in my post. I was referring to typical transatlantic flights that land in large mainland airports,many being airline hubs, which may or maynot be cruise ports also. Certainly your post makes sense as to being an exception.

Hi does anyone know what the flight time is from Heathrow to Florida ? Also is it a straight through flight or will we have to change planes??

Thanks for any info x

Heathrow is one of the London airports, but Florida is a large state containing a number of international gateway airports as well as an even larger number of domestic airports.

Most US airlines are "Hub and spoke" carriers that use a small number of gateway hub airports for both domestic and international flights, and most flights from the UK to the US would utilize one of these hubs. The hub will depend on the airline (carrier) that is utilized.

As well as various charter airlines (that tend to use Sanford airport North of Orlando) the principal UK carriers to Florida are British airways with direct (non-stop) service to Orlando (MCO,) and Tampa from London Gatwick, and Miami from London Heathrow. Similarly Virgin Atlantic operate (non-stop) to Orlando (MCO) from London Gatwick, and Miami from London Heathrow. Both airlines have multiple daily service.

American airlines (which operates its own aircraft and codeshares with British airways as well,) also has direct (non-stop services) from London Heathrow to Miami as well as indirect service through other hubs such as New York (JFK) and Dallas Fort Worth (DFW).

Most US carriers will "hub" through one of their main bases. For example (and depending on the airline,) New York (JFK), Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte. All of these hubs are also "ports of entry," so it will be necessary to comply with normal immigration and customs clearance, for which you (or the airline) should sensibly allow at least 2 hours for any onward connection. The subsequent sector(s) are ordinary domestic flights.

As has already been mentioned the normal non-stop block times for UK-Florida (non-stop) services are broadly 9h:30m Westbound, and 8h:00m Eastbound. The difference is due to the average of prevailing high level winds (Jetstreams). The winds vary every day and sometimes the actual flight times are significantly shorter or longer than these baseline figures. Airlines try and take advantage of tailwinds and avoid strong headwinds for reasons of fuel cost. However there are other considerations (such as possible turbulence en-route) that often results in longer routings.

Some of the "Hub" carriers utilize hubs that do not lie on the great circle tracks (shortest distance over the Earths surface) between the Uk and Florida, and obviously that adds to the total flying time and block time from origin to destination. Then there is the ground time at the hub which (at best) probably adds another 3 hours at least. Hubs such as Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis and Toronto are likely to add the greatest time as a function of distance, but there are also other considerations such as timings and the frequency of onward connections, that also come into play.

So that said, it really depends on where you are flying to, and with which airline, in order to give you any sort of meaningful answer to your question.

@lou

Also, as an FYI, Fort Lauderdale FLL will soon start construction of a new, longer runway in the attempt to attract more international flights (think the ability to accommodate big wide body jets). They definitely want to take some international business away from MIA!

Thanks, this is good to know, would love to fly non stop to FLL!

That's what's called a "double drop". You will almost certainly find there are people getting off at Antigua, that being their ultimate destination. You may also pick up other passengers doing the Antigua-SJU leg.

It's a way for the airlines to maximise occupancy on routes where they might not be able to fill the plane.

Yes, you're right that there's a difference, but a direct flight can be non-stop too, and a lot of people think they're just two different names for the same thing. And then of course, there are connecting flights, each of which may in itself be direct or non-stop, but when you put them together they're neither. :eek:

Isn't air travel fun. :D

What you describe in your last statement to me is an indirect flight and not a direct flight. Sorry if I am nit picking.

That's what's called a "double drop". You will almost certainly find there are people getting off at Antigua, that being their ultimate destination. You may also pick up other passengers doing the Antigua-SJU leg.

It's a way for the airlines to maximise occupancy on routes where they might not be able to fill the plane.

Ooooh ok.... this will be a first for me.... bizarrely looking forward to it...... thanks.

Archived