TIPs - PoA Staterooms - Things I would have like to know beforehand

1st time in Hawaii

The cruise was great and we had a fantastic time. NCL makes an effort to please their guest, but there is still room for improvement.

These are just a few minor things that I would have liked to know so that I could have prepared accordingly. Many people have written reviews, but there are a few things I never saw mentioned.

Interior staterooms are small but adequate, nicely decorated. We had a large mirror in the shape of a port hole over the bed. Room can get dark. so

Tip #1 – you might want to bring a night light. I prefer the flat LCD type with no bulb to break. Someone mentioned leaving the TV on to the Bridge camera. You can then see when you pull into port, etc.

The bathroom outlet (found overhead) only works when bathroom light is on.

Tip #2 – There are no clocks in the room. Yes, you are on vacation, but you might need to know when it is time to get up, especially if you have a shore excursion, etc

Tip #3 – if you want to use the mini refrigerator, ask the cabin steward to empty the mini bar and note that you didn’t use anything, so you won’t be charged.

Tip #4 – bring your own toiletries (soap, shampoo) if you need to know what you are using (i.e. in the case of allergies). They have dispensers for soap, shower gel, & shampoo). This may not be the case in all cabins like suites.

Tip #5 – turn your cell phone to Airplane mode when cruising away from port.

While in port (and close to the port), you should be able to access your own carrier without any additional charge. Hard to get a signal in the staterooms, so you need to go up on deck or to the cafe. No electrical outlets near the nightstands. They are located in the desk area. The only reason I mention this is if you want to leave your phone on to check the time, your battery may run down overnight.

Tip # 6 - We had no problems with the shower, plenty of water. It is small so if you are a larger person, you might want to upgrade to a cabin that has a larger bath.

Hair dryer, beach towels are provided.

Tip #7 – The interior staterooms have a fold down bunk bed so that you can sleep 3 or 4. I would find it difficult to sleep with the bunk over my head. So if there are more than 2, consider a larger stateroom.

Tip # 8 – If you have a problem, let them know. In most cases, NCL will try to rectify it.

Some background - this is my first cruise with NCL but have cruised on another line, and first time with an interior stateroom.

I have spent up to 3 weeks traveling in a Class B RV so I am used to small places. I am someone who loves the sun & seeing daylight, but found no problem with an interior stateroom.

One I read in other posts was if you need a power outlet near the bed (for CPAP or whatever else), bring an extension cord.

The nearest one is on the wall opposite of the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A couple more tips if I may:

1. Pack one of those "over-the-door" shoe holders with pockets and hang it on the outside of the closet door. Secure the hooks with duct tape to keep it from moving back and forth. Use the pockets for sunglasses, flip-flops, sunscreen, lotion, whatever... just reduce the clutter.

2. Pack a small roll of duct tape. Amazing stuff, don't leave home without it.

3. Bring a small pad of post-its. Great for leaving notes to cabin-mates or your steward.

4. Bring an extension cord & small power strip so you can charge more than one thing at a time.

5. Send a package or two home during the cruise. You'll have less to carry and may also avoid any overweight baggage fees (if any) on your flight home after the cruise.

Although this isn't really a cabin tip, it can make or break your cruise... always plan on arriving in your departure port city at least a day ahead of time. Even the most reliable airline flights experience delays and/or cancellations from time to time.

Edited by azappraiser

We travel everywhere with a power strip, to keep all items plugged into one location as to not forget one! Like the camera battery charger we left in Mexico years ago!

For the POA, I brought with me in my luggage a USPS Priority flat rate shipping box. It lays flat in your suitcase and I filled it full of flyers, ship info, post cards and non breakable souvenirs and we had no problem finding a post office to ship it back!

I bring one of these boxes on all trips now, even if I don't ship it back home it keeps papers and things safe and neat.

Refillable water bottles, Hawaii is not cheap and bringing water with us was a help!

I always bring extra hangers from the dry cleaners, those metal ones as there usually aren't enough hangers in the cabin.

wooden clothes pins to keep items secured to balcony chairs

maps of the Islands to help us plan the next day!

You guys carry some extra stuff. I usually find that there are enough outlets so I have never carried a power strip or extension cord.

We try to travel as light as possible, and do carry a small electronic suitcase scale to make sure we don't go over weight at airline counter.

One thing I do for clothing organization is to use clear zipper bags (quart or gallon freezer bag type) for different types of clean clothing. One each for lingerie, socks, tops, etc. - this way you just put the bags in the room's drawers. You can also squeeze out extra air for packing suitcase. Doesn't add any additional weight.

You guys carry some extra stuff. I usually find that there are enough outlets so I have never carried a power strip or extension cord.

I'm sure there are, but I said that there aren't any near the bed.

Some people need an outlet for things like a CPAP, so they will need to bring an extension cord

I'm onboard now. I read that the staterooms were small....but they are REALLY small.

There's enough room to get around, but not much. It's probably still OK since this is so port intensive, but I would never cruise this ship on any other itinerary unless I was in a suite.

I'm onboard now. I read that the staterooms were small....but they are REALLY small.

There's enough room to get around, but not much. It's probably still OK since this is so port intensive, but I would never cruise this ship on any other itinerary unless I was in a suite.

Are you in a balcony stateroom? We sailed in a balcony on Oasis and that room was really small can you compare? We are sailing in April in a B1 stateroom and we do spend some time in our cabin I hope I can live with the sitting area and balcony. I really wanted to book a suite but it was way out of our price range.

Edited by Lorey2007

We are in the best balcony class room you can get, just not the suite. Unfortunately I haven't been on the Oasis so can't compare.

There is a couch, but it's like sitting on a board it's so hard. The balcony is fine, bigger than expected.

The room just sucks though, lol. There is just barely room enough to walk between the foot of the bed and the wall, one person at a time.

The showers are very small as well. I can't imagine trying to shower there if I were really tall, big-framed, or really overweight.

We are in the best balcony class room you can get, just not the suite. Unfortunately I haven't been on the Oasis so can't compare.

There is a couch, but it's like sitting on a board it's so hard. The balcony is fine, bigger than expected.

The room just sucks though, lol. There is just barely room enough to walk between the foot of the bed and the wall, one person at a time.

The showers are very small as well. I can't imagine trying to shower there if I were really tall, big-framed, or really overweight.

Thanks again the balcony room we had on Oasis was very small and one person had to walk sideways between the bed and wall to get to the sitting area. I will be ok with the hard couch it will be better for my back then sitting on the bed.:) Also the closet was next to the bed and you had to just about sit on the bed to get into the closet. Since that cruise we have always gotten a Jr Suite and now we are very spoiled since POA doesn't have any we are stuck with the small balcony cabin.

I keep telling myself it will be ok.:eek:

Where is the closet in your room? Is there a shower curtain or a door on the shower?

The closet is right across from the bathroom. Small, but functional.

There is a shower curtain on the shower. Again, it's usable but soooo small. Imagine taking a shower in an old phone booth; that's what it's like.

Were you in a B1 (aft) balcony? The ship pic of the cabin shows a door, not a shower curtain. Can you please confirm the type of cabin you were in? Thanks.