Self-guided tour of St. Maarten in a rental car?

lunagirl

My husband and I will be visiting St. Maarten for the first time in May. We will only be in St. Maarten for the day as a port on our cruise. We are interested in visiting local shops and restaurants, as well as at least one beach and the airport at Maho.

How difficult would it be for us to rent a car and do this on our own? I am a seasoned traveler and have worked in the travel industry as a Group Tour Coordinator and a hotel General Manager for years. This is our last port on a port-intensive cruise and I just don't know if we will be up for another scheduled shore excursion, even though we typically book through independent operators.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a car rental company?

I saw several people say that it is relatively easy to navigate the island.

Would it be less expensive or have less headache to hire a cab driver for the day rather than rent a car?

My husband and I will be visiting St. Maarten for the first time in May. We will only be in St. Maarten for the day as a port on our cruise. We are interested in visiting local shops and restaurants, as well as at least one beach and the airport at Maho.

How difficult would it be for us to rent a car and do this on our own? I am a seasoned traveler and have worked in the travel industry as a Group Tour Coordinator and a hotel General Manager for years. This is our last port on a port-intensive cruise and I just don't know if we will be up for another scheduled shore excursion, even though we typically book through independent operators.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a car rental company?

I saw several people say that it is relatively easy to navigate the island.

Would it be less expensive or have less headache to hire a cab driver for the day rather than rent a car?

What is your port times and how many ships are in port on that day? Are there more than 2 people in your party? This info will help us help you plan your day.:)

A few taxi rides: port to beach, beach to Maho to watch planes, Maho to Phillipsburg for shopping, then walk or water taxi back to port --- will be less expensive than car rental - also it will save you the time it takes to sign up for rental, get taken to pick-up point, find parking space at your stops, and then to drop off car later. People ignore the fact that probably close to an hour of your in-port time is consumed by the mechanics of hiring/using a rental car. Including insurance, car rental is likely to come to $75 - $90.

We just returned from the Dream. We rented a jeep from Costal & were happy with the vehicle HOWEVER we were in port on a Weds. There were 6 ships in port including the behemoth Oasis of the Seas. The traffic was so bad between all the tourists & the road construction it was very stressful. There was absolutely no place to park in Marigot, Phillipsburg or at Maho Beach. We ended up circling the island in our car only getting out once to use the bathroom. It took 3 hours to do a 90 mins route around the island.

Last yr my sister & mom rented from Costal & had no problems at all driving & finding parking. There were only 2 ships in port that day. So take that into account

What is your port times and how many ships are in port on that day? Are there more than 2 people in your party? This info will help us help you plan your day.:)

There are just the two of us in our party. We will be in port from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm. According to everything I have seen, we will be the only cruise ship in port on that day. Thanks so much for your help!

A few taxi rides: port to beach, beach to Maho to watch planes, Maho to Phillipsburg for shopping, then walk or water taxi back to port --- will be less expensive than car rental - also it will save you the time it takes to sign up for rental, get taken to pick-up point, find parking space at your stops, and then to drop off car later. People ignore the fact that probably close to an hour of your in-port time is consumed by the mechanics of hiring/using a rental car. Including insurance, car rental is likely to come to $75 - $90.

Thanks! I was really curious about the hassle factor for renting a car. I can get a lot done in a port in an hour! That seems like a waste of a good hour!

• 4 months later...

Rented cars in St Maarten on 5 or 6 occasions and with the exception of 1 time we were in our van and off to explore in about 20-30 minutes. The one exception was we had booked a dune buggy trip and they had mechanical issues with the dune buggies and had to find a car with no reservation.

Will be renting again in 3 weeks when we are there.

Have you considered just getting a taxi for the day which would be so very much easier?

LuLu

Like the poster above we also rent a car on every visit. We love the indepenance this gives us.

PS the OP sailed in May.

Edited by Karysa

We rented a Jeep there a few years ago and had a great day - we got to see some absolutely stunning beaches. However, the traffic is HORRENDOUS. Be prepared for that and be flexible with your plans and you should have no problems.

Have you considered just getting a taxi for the day which would be so very much easier?

LuLu

I like this idea, since I'll be there all day and want to make a number of stops. I also want the freedom to spend as much or as little time in each spot as I feel like spending. How would I go about getting a taxi for the day? And what kind of money should I expect to spend to do so?

I like this idea, since I'll be there all day and want to make a number of stops. I also want the freedom to spend as much or as little time in each spot as I feel like spending. How would I go about getting a taxi for the day? And what kind of money should I expect to spend to do so?

$300 for 1-6 is the rate that St. Maarten tours and taxi charges for "all day" with a car and driver at your disposal.

http://www.stmaartentoursandtaxi.com/

Edited by Karysa