Samuel Cunard Key Club

Therapst

I've been reading the book just published titled Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2 - Around the World in 91 Days by Bernard M. Patten, M.D. The book is essentially a journal of the author and his wife's voyage on the 1996 World Cruise of QE2 and is a very interesting read.

Several times in the book, Patten has made reference to receiving gifts onboard from (or for) the "Samuel Cunard Key Club." I did a Google search and didn't find one hit on this phrase.

Can anyone tell me about the Samuel Cunard Key Club, or is it an inside joke that I just haven't caught onto yet?

Thanks for your feedback.

Randy

Can anyone tell me about the Samuel Cunard Key Club, or is it an inside joke that I just haven't caught onto yet?

Hi Randy - I've never heard of it either! I wonder if it wasn't the US version of the "Anne Bright" club - a club that you had to be told about to join (it wasn't advertised), had a very low membership fee and gave some wonderful on and off board benefits. For example as a club member at Southampton you checked in at the Polygon Hotel; you left your car there for the parking people to move; had a very good meal with as much to drink as you could manage and were then coached to the ship. A very pleasant way of starting your cruise. Likewise there were on board cocktail parties just for club members where you'd be given a gift - decent aftershave, perfume, that kind of thing.

"Anne Bright" club - a club that you had to be told about to join (it wasn't advertised), had a very low membership fee and gave some wonderful on and off board benefits. For example as a club member at Southampton you checked in at the Polygon Hotel; you left your car there for the parking people to move; had a very good meal with as much to drink as you could manage and were then coached to the ship. A very pleasant way of starting your cruise. Likewise there were on board cocktail parties just for club members where you'd be given a gift - decent aftershave, perfume, that kind of thing.

Pnhmrk

Those were the days!!!! What ever became of Anne Bright? l remember traveling down to Southampton with her years ago to join a cruise. Just one of the gifts we used to get was worth the membership fee alone.

And compared to the club of today, has anybody had their new memberships cards yet?

cheers

Myles

OK... here's a club related to QE2 only... has anyone heard of it and do you know its origin? It has been written about by a very famous author... the "No Character Club." I was inducted aboard QE2 many years ago. Hint: The chairman of the club, a long-time Cunard employee, is now retired.

From the 1995 World Cruise brochure (QE2 and Sagafjord):

Samuel Cunard Key Club:All passengers booking a QE2 World Cruise holiday of 50 sail nights or more are entitled to membership of the Samuel Cunard Key Club.

Benefits include special onboard amenities, services of a concierge, and an onboardcredit of $2,000per couple ($1,750 for singles). Club class flights to and from the ship are also included at no additional cost for passengers sailing 50 nights or more.

I knew I had some info somewhere I just had to find it.

Regards, Colin.

Well done Colin - I knew I'd heard the name but I just couldn't place it.

Myles - She let 3 of us join for the one membership fee - one of our gifts did pay for the membership, the rest were all added bonuses! (And, No, I haven't had my new WC card yet)

Bobby - I've no idea about the "No Character Club", Do tell:)

"No Character Club." I was inducted aboard QE2 many years ago

Bobby1119

Where did you dig that one up from!

I only met the founder of this club once on board, at a party, surprise surprise! but the memories are still there, He has brains,breeding,money, and position,everything except character,the main qualifaction

Now do tell, how did you become a member, this l would love to know;)

By the way, was there a prize:)

cheers

Myles

Bobby1119

Where did you dig that one up from!

I only met the founder of this club once on board, at a party, surprise surprise! but the memories are still there, He has brains,breeding,money, and position,everything except character,the main qualifaction

Now do tell, how did you become a member, this l would love to know;)

By the way, was there a prize:)

cheers

Myles

You have answered the challenge 99.9%. I will email you more so that others who may still be wondering (or care) can think a bit further. I was given a certificate that proves my mebership in the club. The founder is now retired and living near Southampton!

From the 1995 World Cruise brochure (QE2 and Sagafjord):

Samuel Cunard Key Club:All passengers booking a QE2 World Cruise holiday of 50 sail nights or more are entitled to membership of the Samuel Cunard Key Club.

Benefits include special onboard amenities, services of a concierge, and an onboardcredit of $2,000per couple ($1,750 for singles). Club class flights to and from the ship are also included at no additional cost for passengers sailing 50 nights or more.

I knew I had some info somewhere I just had to find it.

Regards, Colin.

Colin, thank you very much for answering this question. And thanks to all of you posters for adding to our store of information on Cunard's history.

I can remember the "Key Club" from the QE2 world cruises in the early nineties. It was actually in the boardroom on boat deck. It was a nice place to go for morning coffee and afternoon tea. They gave you a cute little pin shaped as a key with the the Cunard lion on it and the year.

The Boardroom is still reserved for full-cruise passengers, but as far as I know, this "club" no longer has a name.

As for the No Character Club, was this perchance founded by Commodore Warwick?

Nope.

Doug, Where o where is Herself going to dock tomorrow? There are conflicting reports. Cunard on the phone says Red Hook; the World Ship Society Port of New York Branch says Westside Manhattan. Thanks for the info. I am planning to leave work early and swing by to see the old gal.

Hi Myles,

I was contacted by a member of cunard staff the other day concerning my next voyage ,maybe because im in Queens Grill. She asked me if there was anything i needed ,i mentioned that even though i had become a Platinum member i hadnt received a new card. She contacted Sue West at the cwc for me and i received a temporary one the next day. The cards are produced in America so it may take a while to get my pernament one.

regards,

Gavin:cool:

Gavin !!!

was contacted by a member of cunard staff the other day concerning my next voyage ,maybe because im in Queens Grill. She asked me if there was anything i needed

CUNARD called you!!! were they offering you an upgrade,:eek: trying to bump you off:confused: or just a general we really appreciate your custom and thanks for travelling Cunard:rolleyes:

Seriously though, pleased you are now up there with the rest of us Plats;) If you can remember when we received word of our new membership nos and think how much time has passed and still no new membership cards, l wont be holding my breath for the new cards to arrive,Im still waiting on the world club mag to arrive, even though its online

Im counting the days till lm away, now if l can just corner that fairy who deals with the upgrades:D ....

Cheers

Myles

Hi Myles,

I received my Mag in August,why dont you give them a call ! :)

Are you planning to go on the QV and QE2 tandem crossing in 2008 ?

Also, are you still not going on the "40th Annivesary voyage" on QE2 ?

regards,

Gavin :cool:

Nope.

Doug, Where o where is Herself going to dock tomorrow? There are conflicting reports. Cunard on the phone says Red Hook; the World Ship Society Port of New York Branch says Westside Manhattan. Thanks for the info. I am planning to leave work early and swing by to see the old gal.

Its either Brooklyn or Bayonne. There is one QM2 cruise leaving out of Bayonne because the Crown Princess will be in Brooklyn. Not in Manhattan.

M632A disembarks in Bayonne. as does 634, 634A and 635....635 embarks in Bayonne.everthing else is Brooklyn

No' date=' that's only given out by the First Lady (on a 'West Wing' episode in season 4).:D[/quote']

By George you got it....It was made up by amy to give to an old bat who wanted to throw Mrs Bartlet out of the Daughters of the American Revolution because her ancestor was a Privateer(Pirate)...

The man who wrote the words for "The Star Spangled Banner"? That wasn't what I was thinking of as the Turtle club:confused:

It isn't real...see two postings above...just in a strange mood today...its sort of like the Brooklyn Bus Terminal that was asked about before. It may be real but its a storefront...Terminal is pushing it. If they called it the bus stop it would be more accurate...

Archived