Lodging near Civitavecchia

CrankySailor

Hi all.

Going on a cruise departing from Rome (Civitavecchia) and am interested in staying close to the port area, rather than in Rome itself, since the Port is in the opposite direction from FCO than Rome (plus spent several days in Rome recently). I have to think there is a charming seaside town somewhere along the coast...but can't find much info.

Of course, I can still stay in Rome if that really is the best option, but the transportation to the City from FCO then to the port from the city will be expensive (unless there is good train availability).

Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Hi all.

Going on a cruise departing from Rome (Civitavecchia) and am interested in staying close to the port area, rather than in Rome itself, since the Port is in the opposite direction from FCO than Rome (plus spent several days in Rome recently). I have to think there is a charming seaside town somewhere along the coast...but can't find much info.

Of course, I can still stay in Rome if that really is the best option, but the transportation to the City from FCO then to the port from the city will be expensive (unless there is good train availability).

There are several places to stay near the port. Use Kayak or some hotel website and it will show many. We stayed at 5 rooms, right above the train station because we took the train from Milan and arrived late. It was convient and inexpensive. I mean, it is not the best, but it was clean and safe, plus, free breakfast.

Then, the next morning, we slept in (jetlag) and walked to the ship, and were one of the first on.

So, check the options in Civitavecchia, it certainly made it easier for us.

If you so stay in Rome, there is an easy regional train that only costs about 6 euros and gets you there in about 1 1/2 hours. It runs almost every hour.

As for a charming coast town, don't know about that.

Have fun.

Edited by Level six

I did a google search for Civitavecchia, and there are quite a few hotels and 29 B&Bs located there.

Only OP can determine which is a best fit for what they are looking for.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194743-c2-Civitavecchia_Province_of_Rome_Lazio-Hotels.html

I was going to stay in a small place called Casamica, but decided to stay in Rome rather than travel in by train the 3 days we were there pre-cruise.

Hi all.

We stayed in the Hotel Miramare in Civi and it was quite nice and right on the boardwalk. 5 euro pp taxi to the port

Edited by softail

I stayed in Rome and took the train for 5 euros. I was not staying near the train so I had to take the local train to the main station which added 1.50. They also have a faster train that is twice the price but only saves about 15 minutes. It takes right at about an hour from Rome. I believe you have to go almost as far as the Vatican area if you take the train from the airport then switch to the port area train . I only took it to Rome and back so not 100% on the airport train to port option.

I thought the port area looked nice. There was a lovely looking park on the waterfront and several shops/ restaurants to keep you entertained. I would stay there to avoid the chaos of Rome if you wanted a more low key vacation for one night precruise.

Happy planning

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by bearette

Hi all.

Charm is in the eye of the beholder, and actually, Civitavecchia is not bad. You could do a lot worse than staying there the night before the cruise. Check Tripadvisor for the sort of hotel or B&B that will suit you. We've stayed in three different ones over the years, and all have been fine.

Hotel Miramare close to railway station on waterfront excellent location well run family concern . Restaurants nearby on waterfront promenade. Short taxi ride to port entry . Book on line direct via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions .

+1 to above posts. We stayed in Civitavecchia the night before the TA cruise in October 2011. I don't remember the hotel name, but it could have been the one mentioned above. I do know it was just a block down from the train station. The port is another block or 2, easy walking distance. There was a free shuttle from the port entry to the pier where the ship was. The port area is a busy cargo port area and not safe to walk through.

We stayed in the Hotel Miramare in Civi and it was quite nice and right on the boardwalk. 5 euro pp taxi to the port

Another vote for Hotel Miramare. Have used it before and will do so again this fall. There are good, reasonable restaurants along the seaside walk as well.
And yet another vote for Hotel Miramare. Stayed for two nights and enjoyed the whole area. We ended up walking to the port. About a 10 to 15 minute walk from the hotel with each of us pulling a 25 inch suitcase with wheels. When we walked, once we were inside the gate, there was a free shuttle waiting to take us the rest of the way to the ship. I assume the taxi probably drops you off right at the ship.

Tim

If you decide to stay in Rome, you can take the Leonardo Express train

directly from FCO to Rome Termini, and from there a cab to your hotel.

From Rome to Civitavecchia for the cruise you can also take the train but I believe you have to change trains. They run frequently so this should be relatively easy to do.