London to Dover Transfers

Have been researching transfers from our (central) London hotel to Dover and finding quite varied pricing. Would be interested in any feedback from anyone who has used 247 Airport Transfers or Silver Fleet... their prices seem a bit more reasonable... :) TIA!

Have you tried a quote from Smiths for Airports?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smiths for Airports are based in Portsmouth (75 miles in the wrong direction) so would not be competitive on this route, if they would quote at all.

- best value is by National Express coach, usually from as little as £5 pp. Coaches leave from London Victoria coach station, which may or may not be convenient to your hotel.

Altho there's no official diversion to the cruise terminal (book to "town centre"), drivers usually offer to drop cruise passengers there after the town centre and x-channel ferry stops "as a favour". Saves a £10 taxi fare, so a £5 per party tip means driver and passengers are happy.;)

- frequent direct train services to Dover (Dover Priory station) from several London train stations, including Victoria, St Pancras, Waterloo East, and London Bridge. Fares from £11 pp upwards depending on departure station and time, there are trains at £11 that suit a cruiser. The train is quicker, and might be best value depending on the location of your central London hotel. Add a £10 taxi fare from Dover Priory station to the cruise terminal.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

- if you prefer a private transfer, both 247 and Silver Fleet are respectable, though like most transfer services - esp those based in London - reviews range from brilliant to awful.

As mentioned, Smiths are based at the Southampton end, so no good for London to Dover.

But try an operator based at the Dover end rather than the London end:

http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/fares.html

http://www.premiertaxisfolkestone.co.uk/

http://www.dovertaxis.com/

http://doverwhitecliffstaxi.com/

I'd expect a fare of about £140 for a sedan, incl London congestion charge

No personal experience, not my corner of England.

Most cruise lines offer their own coach transfers, usually from Victoria coach station. Simple, but poor value.

International Friends offer two coach options for cruise passengers. Both include pick-up from your central London hotel (or a nearby hotel) for £67 pp and you can choose either direct or via a stop at Leeds Castle (entry fee not included). I'm guessing the cost is about the same as ship's transfer but it's more convenient.

Details and booking at https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_from_london_bus.html

(lots of logistics and other info about London, Dover, and transport options on other pages of that excellent website. But their private transfer offerings are usually over-priced).

JB :)

We did the International Friends transfer/tour in the opposite direction last year ..... Southampton to London hotel via Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and Windsor Castle .... and were very pleased. When we got to our hotel, both the driver and the guide hopped off the bus and toted our heavy luggage into the hotel lobby for us!! Great guys!

Based on our experience, if I were doing London to Southampton, it would definitely be it with them.

I suggest you avoid Folkestone Taxis. They were extremely late picking us up at Dover, the car's air conditioning wasn't working on the hottest day of the year and the car was far too small for the four adult passengers I had told them to expect. A very poor experience all round!

I suggest you avoid Folkestone Taxis. They were extremely late picking us up at Dover, the car's air conditioning wasn't working on the hottest day of the year and the car was far too small for the four adult passengers I had told them to expect. A very poor experience all round!

I'm sorry to hear that as we had a very good experience with Folkestone Taxis. The driver waited for us at the airport even though our flight had been delayed. Then when we encountered traffic issues on the way to Dover, due to the same weather conditions that caused our flight delay, he was able to detour us. The same driver picked us up at the end of the cruise to take us back to Heathrow. We were only two, plus the driver, with lots of luggage. Four, plus the driver, would have been impossible in the car that we were in.

I'm sorry to hear that as we had a very good experience with Folkestone Taxis. The driver waited for us at the airport even though our flight had been delayed. Then when we encountered traffic issues on the way to Dover, due to the same weather conditions that caused our flight delay, he was able to detour us. The same driver picked us up at the end of the cruise to take us back to Heathrow. We were only two, plus the driver, with lots of luggage. Four, plus the driver, would have been impossible in the car that we were in.

You were obviously luckier than us! However I do feel that three problems is really too many to overlook! So I think people should be warned that they are unreliable, so better to try one of the other firms. The driver wasn't even apologetic for any of the issues!