Is the Dunn's River Falls climb dangerous?

inncntman

An athletic woman in her 20's told me that the Dunn's River Falls climb is extremely dangerous, and that a person can slip and get seriously injured.

Can anyone who has made the climb tell me if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

It's a wonderful and beautiful climb, but yes you can get hurt even if you are being careful. I slipped and fell and busted open my face the day I climbed. Another person from my ship broke their hip, and another person dislocated their shoulder. That being said, lots of people climb without getting hurt. If you decide to do it, you definitely need water shoes.

4 of us, late 40 somethings, climbed the falls with a Princess tour. I wouldn't attempt it without a guide, at least the first time. Our guide, who was wonderful, told us exactly where to put our feet as we climbed. We also went up as a "rope" holding each other's hands. Man-Woman-Man-Woman-Man.........etc. We loved it!

There is a risk of getting hurt, but if you go up with a good guide, the chances of injury are less. It isn't for anyone with mobility problems.

My wife and I went to Dunn's and even though we are both physically fit we chickened out and took the stairs that run up along side the falls. You can still venture out into the water to cool off and also get some nice photos from stops along the stairway.

A number of people were injured and taken off in ambulances while we were there. A couple that was with us climbed the falls. The gentleman while climbing missed the step on one of the rocks and his foot fell into a whole about 3 feet deep. Originally he thought he turned an ankle. Upon returning to the ship the ships doctor told him he tore his achilles tendon. One week later it was surgery followed by six weeks of rehab.

Also the locals at the sight are a big pain in the butt. They actually get rude when you ignore them or refuse to buy the junk they are selling. The next time we stop in Jamaica I will enjoy my time on the ship while it is empty.

Injuries can and do happen when climbing on slippery rocks against rushing water. Be sure to have well fitting water shoes when doing the climb. I made it halfway without injuries, but my legs couldn't make it all the way up so I got off about midway. It was a lot of fun!

I agree, water shoes and a guide. I would also advise to get as close to the guide as possible, you can hear what he is saying and see where he is stepping. The guides do carry your camera(s) and of course, there is a photo stop. Well worth the effort so you can brag to your friends that you did it!

I found it very helpful to climb near a guide they know the climb inside and out and know exactly where to step. It also really helps to have someone holding your hand. We did this last September along with the river rafting and both were incredible.

We did this with our family. Had a guide and went up holding hands in a long group. I got about half-way, maybe not that far, and couldn't make it. The guide motioned to someone on the side and the two men hoisted me up and onto the walkway/stairway where I enjoyed watching everybody else make the climb. Everyone else seemed to do just fine. It's a beautiful place, and I felt quite content to "observe" and take in the scenery from the walkway. While climbing I was too busy looking down to make sure where I was stepping to enjoy the beautiful surroundings! It's a unique place - I have arthritis and was just not in good enough shape for it to be fun for me!

It is one of those situations where it doesn't necessairly matter how good of shape you are in - it has a lot to do with the people you are holding hands with. If they fall, you potentially could tumble with them. Sort of a chain effect.

I went a few years ago and after watching several people tumble - I didn't even bother to try it - it didn't seem worth it. I took the stairs. I also ran into people who broke their arms, or got pretty cut up on the trip.

You can do it for free if you arrive by boat to the beach.

Looks like they are up to $15/$12.

http://www.dunnsriverja.com/

The vendors waiting at the top can be a little pushy, but I just stayed focused on my mission to find the first vendor that was selling ice cold Red Stripe.

If on a ship's tour, admission would be included with the transportation.

The pace is pretty slow - take your time. If you need help, the guides will help. They climb it barefoot all day long, but do know what they are doing.

I agree with chasetf. After spending years scrambling over wet rocks in the Sierra Nevadas, even water shoes don't really minimize the risk. When you're depending on the balance of the person in front or in back of you, and just the force of the water can push your feet from under you, I'd hate to ruin my vacation with broken limbs when it could be avoided.:D

We did this tour last winter while in Jamaica. It was beautiful but it can for sure result in injury. We were in a big group with a guide....he was not overly attentive, but somehow we all made it to the top with no one getting hurt. All the guide did for the 50 min climb was tell us all to 'tip him well' He did not stop the whole way, and truthfully we were sick of it by the time we reached the top.

It was lovely, I'm glad I did it once in my life, but I would not do it again and these are the reasons why:

1) Hubbie and my legs were very sore the next day, and we are in our 30's and fit....it is a challenge to reach the top

2) The overly pushy guide, and rude vendors at the end.

3) It is dangerous.....areas with high steps up, and then down again. If there has been alot of rain, like there was when we were there, the current is very strong coming down the falls, and your fighting it to get up the falls.

So, that is just my opinion on Dunn's Falls:)

- Thanks to everyone for your help!

- Apologies if I have placed this on the wrong board; I just realized that there is a 'locations' board.

- From what I've read here and elsewhere, it appears that the violence/danger of the falls is directly related to the amount of rain that the region gets that week. The more rain that falls, the more water rushing down the falls, and the more violent the water is, increasing the chance of slipping and/or falling.

Thanks again!

I was 64 when I climbed the falls 2 years ago. I am not an athletic person, but with the help of the guides and fellow climbers, did not find it overly difficult. It's exhilarating and a fabulous experience. I saw no "plastic rocks." I don't know what that is about. There were several pauses along the way, and the guides gave us historical and other information about the Falls.

That said, My foot slipped into a hole between the very real rocks and I sprained my ankle, and sustained a few abrasions on my ankles and knees from the rough surfaces of the rocks. The sprain occured about 2/3 of the way up the Falls, and with the assistance of the guides, I made it all the way to the top.

After I got back onboard the Coral Princess, I went to the medical clinic and received very appropriate medical care for my sprain and abrasions by the very nice, caring physician and nurse. And at a surprisingly reasonable cost.

Would I do it again? Well I'd like to, but would be a bit leary now that I am 2 years older. It really was fun.

We climbed the falls and will do it again if we get the chance. Take your own water shoes with good gripping bottoms. Look over the group you're climbing with and try to get stong people on both sides of you. Take your time, your waterproof camera and have fun. Take some extra dollars to tip the guide and he will take your picture while you're climbing. The water is cold but the guides are friendly and fun. The vendorsyou have to walk through at the end are a bit pushy but just keep walking. Dunn River Falls is a great experience.

Dangerous? In my opinion, not at all! My 4 mo. pregnant friend did it. You just have to be cautious.

Water shoes are a must but you can rent them there. I did and I think I had an easier time that my DH who brought his own water shoes.

You go SO SLOWLY that I'm not sure anyone could have fallen and gotten seriously hurt. As the picture shows that zydecocruiser posted, there are so many people there that you literally take one baby step at a time.

I thought is was a lot of fun and I would do it again. The water was clean, but I'm sure it gets murky if you go at different times of the year or right after a hurricane, etc.

Go for it!!! You only live once....

I was 64 when I climbed the falls 2 years ago. I am not an athletic person, but with the help of the guides and fellow climbers, did not find it overly difficult. It's exhilarating and a fabulous experience. ... It really was fun.

This last summer my mother (65 at the time) and her sister (67, I think) did the falls with my daughter and me. Mom had had foot surgery in January and still managed to do it. There were a couple of very handsome men who were helping them along. They weren't in our group but Aunt Pat and Mom didn't mind the assistance.

The falls can be dangerous. I've now climbed them twice. No issues both times. However you do have to watch the time if you are on a tour. This second time our tour group was split up with the falls guides. Our group was slower to organize. We were watching the time and decided it would be better if we didn't climb all the way up. We found a place to step out and climb the steps. Good thing we did as our driver was ready to leave.

As others noted, be sure to have your water shoes!

OK, questions, please.

So, you are in a hoard at the bottom and you climb holding hands single file. What do you do when you get to the top, take in the scenery and then climb back down, single file & holding hands?

How long does the whole process take?

Having a hard time finding this a desirable thing to do. It's not the "danger" that I'm questioning. Is the major point of the climb to view the vista?

Thanks! ;)

...Having a hard time finding this a desirable thing to do. It's not the "danger" that I'm questioning. Is the major point of the climb to view the vista?

Thanks! ;)

Good question, Karen. I've pondered that myself. I think the objective is like that of mountain climbing. It's to say you made it to the top after surmounting some obstacles and having fun along the way.

In actuality, you start out at the top of the falls and walk down the stairs to the beach. There really isn't a good view downwards because there are lots of trees and vegetation blocking any view to the sea. Once you are down on the beach, then you make your trek through the falls back to the top. At the top, you just stroll through the park back to the bus.