Is the Dunn's River Falls climb dangerous?

inncntman

If show up on a land tour you start at the top and walk down a walkway with stairs to the bottom.....then climb back UP the falls. If your on a boat tour you arrive at the bottom of the falls and climb UP the falls, then use the walkway and stairs back down.....you don't climb DOWN the falls at all:) Now that would be dangerous;)

I can't believe the crowd in that picture! When I went to the falls there might have been 50 people in the entire area. A friend and myself were the only ones' with our guide and we had no problem what so ever. I would hesitate to walk up them in that huge line, one person goes down and there goes everybody.:eek:

Thanks so much, DonLou. ;)

Good question, Karen. I've pondered that myself. I think the objective is like that of mountain climbing. It's to say you made it to the top after surmounting some obstacles and having fun along the way.

In actuality, you start out at the top of the falls and walk down the stairs to the beach. There really isn't a good view downwards because there are lots of trees and vegetation blocking any view to the sea. Once you are down on the beach, then you make your trek through the falls back to the top. At the top, you just stroll through the park back to the bus.

We did the tour last Feb. Even being physically fit and with swim shoes on --my heart was pounding and I was scared ****less. I think the climb can be very subjective depending on your guide. Our guide "filled" in for another that had "disappeared" from our group and the pace was lickity split. Yes, going up was beautiful, but I could hardly take in the scenery we were going so fast plus I was concentrating on not breaking something and ruining my vacation. I opted to quit halfway up and was never so thankful. Would I do it again--HECK NO!! :)

My husband & I did the climb as part of a Carnival excursion. My hubby is strong and athletic and went ahead of me in the chain. I was lucky to have a young athletic man behind me who also helped me (I was 53 when we did the climb) . I didn't see anyone get hurt, but I was very cautious after seeing more than one pair of broken eyeglasses lying on the rocks in the falls! They took our photo in the falls and it was well worth the $7. I have a fear of heights and was very proud that I made it about 3/4 of the way to the top. I had no regrets when I left the line to finish the climb by way of the wooden stairs. I'm glad I tried and I don't need to do that again! We finished the excursion with a catamaran ride back to our ship - we bounced over the waves and were totally drenched! Lots of fun!

My vote is not dangerous but there is some risk in any activity. My DW and myself, both 51 and not in great physical shape climbed with no problems. The rocks are uneven but if you trail hike or such neither are those rocks. I really think it would be better to not hold hands, then if someone fell only they would fall, not the people holding onto them.

We went with Phil Lafeyette and he told us to leave the falls area through the entrance, then you miss the obnoxious pushy venders, worked great, didn't see any venders except the couple selling cokes in the parking lot.

Go for it, you will have a good time.

I did the falls as part of a vacation in Jamaica 9-10 years ago, not a cruise. I was late 20's, and somewhat fit, at the time and it was challenging for me but I could not 'hold hands' as was recommended. I felt better being able to use my hands as leverage climbing up. I remember it as a very positive experience and only after we were finished was I able to take in the beauty of the falls looking down. I had good water shoes, too. I would do again even now, 10 years older and not fit at all :-)

We did the falls with no problems. We were at the back or end of the line. No one from the whole group got hurt. Several did slip but said they were fine. I would highly recommend water shoes.

Another fun excurison that is offered is river raft tubing. We had a blast & no one has to claimb rocks. It was so much fun and well worth it.

Well..our family did it four years ago..and...I was forty in pretty good shape fell and hurt my arm...Hubby did fine..sixteen year old let go of my hand..that is how i fell...and my nine year old fell and busted open her knee..the lady two behind her broke her ankle and she was a runner..excellent shape..yes it is dangerous...beautiful...but dangerous!

I found the first 3/4 of the climb not too difficult for a 48 year old female who was a few months post major surgery, but that last 1/4 of the climb is pretty steep so I opted out and took the stairs the rest of the way. It was an OK experience but would likely never choose to do it again. After the climb we were taken to a beautiful little private beach to swim not to far by boat which was wonderful as it was so hot that day.

We climbed the falls in 1989. It was nowhere as crowded as the photos posted previously.

I climbed it barefooted. My DH wore old sneakers. I've read suggestions that say to bring an old pair that you plan to throw away.

We climbed the falls several years ago when I was 50. We were in pretty good shape then. I was the first person behind the guide and my DH was behind me. I had the advantage of the guide being so close and my DH supporting me. It seemed that the closer to the guide you were, the easier it was as the folks farther down the line had more problems. We were tired at the top, but didn't feel that it had been too strenuous. Now that we're older, we wouldn't do it again - so we are very glad that we got to experience it.

I am the most clumsy, ackward, 2 leftfooted person around and I thought there was no way I could do this climb. The guide had one look at me and grabbed my arm to be first in line... it was tough going at first, you are climbing up rocks with cool, fresh water rushing against you. But then I got used to it and did much better, still he never let go of me for a second!

dunns_river_s.jpg

IMO this is a cool thing to try, definately strenuous, but if someone like me can do it - anyone can.

Also the locals at the sight are a big pain in the butt. They actually get rude when you ignore them or refuse to buy the junk they are selling. The next time we stop in Jamaica I will enjoy my time on the ship while it is empty.

I agree...that part is enough to make me NEVER want to go back to Ocho Rios again!!!

My family of 8 (ranging in age from late 50s to twins of 5) visited the falls in April 2005 and did just fine. Yes, there were some hairy spots, but otherwise it was all good. After dealing w/the salt water in the ocean and on the ship, it was nice that the falls were fresh water. I also agree w/another poster stating that the water was "filthy".

I hope this helps, Deanna

While the climb can be dangerous, so can walking the streets of LA. I have walked the falls 13 times with 13 different women and have never even seen anyone get hurt. I / we ALWAYS wear water shoes and always pay attention. I would recommend walking the falls to ANYONE from age 5 to 65 who can walk and reason. If your afraid to walk alone there are ALWAYS guides at the beginning to walk with you and take your pic's for a tip of a few dollars. Good luck.

I just returned from the Coral Panama Transit. I viewed the falls from the stairway. I had no desire to join the walkers in the water. There were no big crowds and I did witness people falling but they got up and kept going so I must assume they were not injured.

The worst is attempting to leave. We ran the gauntlet of vendors on the way out. They hounded us every step of the way. I just kept staring straight ahead and shaking my head.

• 8 years later...

My wife and I just returned from a Panama Canal cruise during which we successfully climbed Dunn's River Falls. I am 69 and she is 64. Our main guide told me that I was the oldest person to climb the Falls in his experience, and successfully doing so is not a matter of physical conditioning and skill but rather determination and effort. I have pronounced arthritis in the lower back but do 63 minute walks on a treadmill three times a week. It was an arduous 1-hour task to complete the climb, but I did it with only a small bruise on a knee to show for it. Without the helpful assistance and guidance of two guides, I doubt that I would have been as successful and injury free. Now I wish I had taken some time to enjoy the scenery during the climb, but when in the midst of the Falls it is important to concentrate on the placement of each next step.

I saw no major injuries occur when I was climbing the Falls holding hands and in the proximity of scores of others. So, while there are no guarantees, serious injuries are likely uncommon. And there is a definite sense of accomplishment in successfully climbing the Falls.

My first time on the falls, DH and I were on our 40's, he is athletic, I am a sedentary reader.

We were staying at Rose Hall, so took a land tour. No one told us not to go barefoot. The good thing is, you can't fall off the falls because they're not straight up and down. By forming a chain, and putting your feet where you're told, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're barefoot, if you step between rocks, where it looks safe, it feels like marbles and razor blades..... just ground up rock, but it hurts. We made it to the top with no problem.

The 2nd time I was with women friends on a shore ex. A local guide wanted to take us and punched our official guide. Big fight started, right on the beach. One of my brilliant friends got another local guide to take us for $10. Halfway up, he abandoned us. Six middle-aged women managed to get the rest of the way up to the top. At one point, when we took the wrong path up, we inched along from rock to rock holding onto a narrow ledge.

We wore sneakers, probably with slick bottoms, but we didn't fall, scrape off any skin, or sprain anything. I've done the falls twice and I'm done with the falls!

Great experience, though, to look back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it is very dangerous, sprain type ankle Injuries for both of us. I cannot imagine what possessed us to even try it. I cannot imagine what possessed us to get off the ship in the creepiest port. The town is creepy but the area at Dunns River falls between the falls and parking lot was downright scary. We had to navigate up and down endless rows of vendors, it was like a big maze. Creepy vendors were trash talking to the people walking by. Someone in our group had money pickpocketed.

An athletic woman in her 20's told me that the Dunn's River Falls climb is extremely dangerous, and that a person can slip and get seriously injured.

Can anyone who has made the climb tell me if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it can be very dangerous if you are not sure on your feet...or if someone grabs you when they are slipping or falling. I loved it, but wouldn't do it again.