So confusing

Grammyluvs

We are traveling home from CPH to B'ham, Al. We are traveling on SAS from CPH to Newark, two and half hour layover, then United from Newark to Reagan International and US airways from Newark to B'ham. We booked this thru Princess EZAire. My question is do SAS, United and USAir codeshare or partners? Will I be ticketed from CPH thru to B'ham? I know I have to go thru immigration and security in Newark and will have to go thru transit desk to check my luggage to B'ham. I hope I have all the terminology right. Really new at this:(

It doesn't matter if they codeshare (which they do) but it does matter if they interline bagagge, which they do.

You MUST claim your bagagge and go thru Immigration and Customs at the first place you touch US soil. Then you recheck your bags, and won't see them again until B'ham.

They are ALL part of Star Alliance -- meaning sharing of flight numbers, baggage, lounges etc.

If you have a FF number with any of them you can earn points on the entire flight (all segments).

Yeah I highly recommend signing up for a frequent flier account with one of them if you haven't already. That's a lot of miles to not claim.

We are traveling home from CPH to B'ham, Al. We are traveling on SAS from CPH to Newark, two and half hour layover, then United from Newark to Reagan International and US airways from Newark to B'ham.
Might want to double check that....:)

Yes, they are all part of Star Alliance and you should have your bags interline checked. You will retrieve prior to customs at EWR, then drop them off one you pass out of the customs zone.

In re: DL SkyMiles account. No, you cannot credit any of those flights to DL SM. Pick either US Dividend Miles or UA Mileage Plus as your Star Alliance account, then have them credited to that account.

Fine-tuning Zach's reply- decide which airline in the Alliance you will fly the most in the future. It doesn't even need to be an airline you will fly on the upcoming trip. Focus your miles, hotel stays, car rentals, etc. on that airline's FF program. You sometimes get better mileage credit if the points are with the same airline you actually fly (codeshares included), but if the miles end up "stranded" and expire in a mileage program you will never use again, then they have gone to waste. Also, points in most programs expire after a period of inactivity, so focusing everything on one or two programs resets the "shot clock" more often.

One caveat...if US Airways (Star Alliance) merges with American (OneWorld), they will probably switch to OW. The probability of a merger depends on who you ask. If you're more likely to fly SA in the future, then you may want to put your miles into United Mileage Plus so you can keep your focus there. Hope this is informative and not bewildering!

Be sure to include your FF# for your Delta flight to FLL. You might earn miles depending on the fare class. If you booked that ticket through Princess you may be on an E or S code, which may, or may not, be eligible. And it also depends on when you are sailing because Delta has changed their rules on mileage rewards a number of times over the last six months or so.

If you are flying out of BHM after the middle of March or so, be aware that the new concourse/security should be open with disruption to services once again. Be alert to the flashing signs. There will be parking deck issues as well continuing on, probably forever.

Thanks for the info regarding Delta and the BHM airport. We are flying out April 25th, so will definitely be in the disruption phase.

Also, Kenish thanks for your info to carefully look at benefits from different airlines. We signed up for the United card but haven't added our flights to it yet.

i wonder how people who don't travel a lot get by without boards like this to help them. Especially we older citizens who travel by our RV's. LOL It is a whole new world. I read just about every post trying to educate myself. Problem is remembering it. SMH

Archived