Jet Blue cancelled my flight!

cocoabeana

Jet Blue has canceled my flight that I booked for my return trip home the day I disembark from my cruise.

They offered me an early flight 9 a.m. Has anyone taken a flight this early and made it with time to spare??? I know there are no guarantees, but I am curious if anyone has done this.

If I walk off with my own luggage is it a possibilty?

I am on the Allure and will be in Ft. Lauderdale, flying out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Again, I know customs can hold things up, but fortunately on my past 12 cruises, I have only had this happen once.

Input??

Thanks

Yes, if all the chips fall in right places like they are suppose to, It is definitely doable. I would suggest you go for it but have a plan B just in case it does not work out. 9 out of 10 times you should be ok.

Good luck.

Last Year JetBlue changed my flight home from 1:23PM to 10:25AM. Although flying out of FLL, my cruise was Majesty in Miami. They had a later flight around 8PM. Not wanting to wait around an airport all day, I called JetBlue and changed the flight to the next day. Because the change in my original flight was 3 hours difference, they did not charge me a fee to change flights to the next day.

Of course, I was on my own for the hotel post-cruise, however, I did not inquire about getting one from JetBlue.

Before you call JetBlue, look at all of your other options. All airlines move their schedules around, and prices could have gone up or down since you booked. Is there another airline with a better schedule for about the same price? If so, ask JetBlue to refund your entire ticket and book with the other airline - this might mean asking for a supervisor, as happened with me, to get all my 'nonrefundable fees' back. I just did that on a November cruise - went from US Air to Delta on a schedule change and saved $200.

Before you call JetBlue, look at all of your other options. All airlines move their schedules around, and prices could have gone up or down since you booked. Is there another airline with a better schedule for about the same price? If so, ask JetBlue to refund your entire ticket and book with the other airline - this might mean asking for a supervisor, as happened with me, to get all my 'nonrefundable fees' back. I just did that on a November cruise - went from US Air to Delta on a schedule change and saved $200.

I used this to get out of an air ticket for a cruise I no longer wanted to travel on. Very handy....

See if Jet Blue can endorse your ticket to another airline or have them pay for a hotel and fly the next day. If you need to be home the same day then Jet Blue should work with their partners that would accept their tickets in such situations. Otherwise have them refund the money for the one way and have them give you the difference for the new flight in writing and then have them cut you a check.

See if Jet Blue can endorse your ticket to another airline or have them pay for a hotel and fly the next day. If you need to be home the same day then Jet Blue should work with their partners that would accept their tickets in such situations.

JetBlue will not endorse one of their tickets to another airline. They don't have any US partners; they won't pay to put you on another airline's flights. Your only choice is to cancel and get a refund, or accept another JetBlue flight (which will not be at an additional charge if JetBlue cancelled your original flight). If you choose to cancel and rebook on another airline, the cost of the new ticket on the other airline is your responsibility. JetBlue won't pay for it.

They won't pay for the hotel either.

Edited by 6rugrats

See if Jet Blue can endorse your ticket to another airline or have them pay for a hotel and fly the next day. If you need to be home the same day then Jet Blue should work with their partners that would accept their tickets in such situations. Otherwise have them refund the money for the one way and have them give you the difference for the new flight in writing and then have them cut you a check.

This is a "non-starter". JetBlue does not interline or partner with any US domestic airline. The agreements are with international carriers so they can exchange international travelers at gateway airports such as JFK and LAX. Lack of viable interline options is something to consider with LCC's.

Hotel?? A long shot even when you're stranded enroute, and definitely not with advance notice where alternatives are available. (All airline CoC's obligate them to get you from A to B, but specifically waive getting you there at any specific time, or even a specific date!)

Canceling is an option but airlines will *not* cut a check to cover a more expensive ticket on another airline. The refund will not be the one-way fare, it will be the fare for the cancelled segment (about half the round trip fare, give or take). Be sure to get *in writing* that the refund will be a credit back to your card and *not* a voucher that expires.

Edited by kenish

Jet Blue did offer another flight, but unfortunately it went to a different airport that was a lot farther for me. They also offered the next day, but I need to be at work the next day.

They did say they would refund my money if I wanted to book with another airline.

That is what I am considering. Southwest has a 9:50 am flight. I think I am going to go for it.

Worse case scenerio I have to go on standby for the rest of the day.

Pending no problems, it should work. I will walk off with my luggage also.

Thanks for all your input!

Worse case scenerio I have to go on standby for the rest of the day.

Pending no problems, it should work. I will walk off with my luggage also

What is your destination from FLL? I would not rely on standby if you absolutely need to be at work the next day. The next flight with an available seat may not be the same day...especially with thousands of other cruise passengers flying out from your ship and maybe others. Keep in mind while you're pondering whether or not to go for the 9am, the other passengers on the cancelled flight are rebooking and closing the door on your options.

Depending on your cost sensitivity, I'd either get a refund and book on another airline (might be a lot more expensive) or go for the 9am. Based on comments in this thread, making the 9am sounds like a much better bet than getting on a standby flight later that day.

Edited by kenish

The flight is to Providence, they wanted to switch me to a later flight into Boston, which doesn't work for me. Jet Blue only does one flight per day now to Providence.

I am going to book the Southwest flight and hope for the best. Jet Blue has refunded my money.

Fingers Crossed!

The 9:50 flight makes more sense to me. Out of curiosity, what was the fare difference? If you have insurance you might ask your insurer to cover it. If you don't have insurance, find out if your credit card gives you any travel protection if you miss your Southwest flight.

Also - have some alternate plans in mind, if there is a problem. As an example - Southwest won't put you on another airline, but they should put you on another flight where you can connect. Does Baltimore to Providence work? Or Boston and a bus or train to Providence? It might be a hassle, but I feel it is better to know your options in advance, rather than figure it out under pressure later. Good luck.

The 9:50 flight makes more sense to me. Out of curiosity, what was the fare difference? If you have insurance you might ask your insurer to cover it. If you don't have insurance, find out if your credit card gives you any travel protection if you miss your Southwest flight.

It's unclear why you think insurance would cover this. The OP got a refund.

If the new ticket was more expensive than the original, the insurer might consider the additional cost a prudent covered expense rather than a same day new ticket if the insured missed the original flight.

Edited by JFontaine

If the new ticket was more expensive than the original, the insurer might consider the additional cost a prudent covered expense rather than a same day new ticket if the insured missed the original flight.

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but I've never had an insurance policy that would cover this. OP was notified in advance that the flight was cancelled, and they received all their money back. Therefore, no loss incurred. No loss = no insurance payment.

If I had to buy a new ticket because my original carrier changed the time of my flight, I would file a claim for the difference in the ticket price, if the difference was significant. I buy full coverage, expensive insurance. I don't know if the claim would be covered, but I would give it a try.

If I had to buy a new ticket because my original carrier changed the time of my flight, I would file a claim for the difference in the ticket price, if the difference was significant. I buy full coverage, expensive insurance. I don't know if the claim would be covered, but I would give it a try.

I still don't understand why you think you would be entitled to money in this situation. You would not.

Grandma - this is off topic, but my suggestion stands - if you have a good policy check the "itinerary Change" provisions. thank you.

I've never had a trip insurance policy that would cover this. If the airline refunds your fare in full you have no loss. No loss = no insurance payment.

Let me use an easier to understand example of how the Itinerary Change section of a GOOD insurance policy works.

Passenger books Saturday flight for $400 on Southwest to FLL for a Saturday cruise.

Southwest cancels Saturday flights. Southwest offers a Friday flight, passenger says no and Southwest refunds $400.

Passenger buys a new plane ticket from Delta for $600 for a Saturday flight.

Passenger's additional cost is $200.

The $200 would be an insured loss under the Itinerary Change section of the policy.

I already understood what you meant; I just have never seen an insurance policy that would cover this. Can you provide a link to a policy that has such coverage?

Go to "insuremytrip" or "theinsurancestore" both websites deal with that issue and many others important to travelers and cruisers. They have really knowledgable and helpful agents. And no I don't work for either or sell insurance.

Another place to look for additional info is the Travel Insurance boards on Cruise Critic (think its under Cruise Discussion Topics) I'll go look and edit this post. Really great and informative info on that board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541