Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

Cruiseoholic000

I am looking for up to date information about the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. Is it worth it? Taking the bus there easy? Can I purchase breakfast food? Is the area a safe place for solo traveler? Thinking of going before my flight in the afternoon.

Speaking as a typically quite cautious female that does things alone, nearly everywhere on Oahu is safe for a solo traveler. The entire island is pretty darn safe. People don't mess with YOU, just keep an eye on your stuff.

The swap meet is a great place for getting inexpensive souvenirs. I can't really speak to the breakfast food, I've always been in the afternoon though there's someone who sells delicious banana bread and plenty of fresh fruit vendors so if that's your kind of breakfast you're all set!

It should be easily accessible by bus, however make sure to check The Bus website for the routes and schedule and see just how long it takes to get there (and back) via the bus, as you certainly will not want to miss your flight.

~Katy

Can't answer your question about using the bus, but the food vendors really didn't have much going until around 10:30 or so. However, there were a few vendors with fresh baked goods and such... check out the fresh honey & peanut butters.

We arrived (on a Wednesday) at around 9:00am and things were just getting going. We went all the way to one end and turned around, doing the majority of our purchasing on the way back. By the time we got back to our starting point (by now it was approaching noon) there were even more vendors set up in the opposite direction from where we started. By this time, we were hot, tired, and ready to head back to the hotel for a little pool, Jacuzzi, and Mai Tai time.

You will find many unique items for sale there, just do your homework... and remember... cheap t-shirts are exactly that; cheap! And... if it's made in China, it's not really from Hawaii.

But to answer your question... "Is it worth it"... Well... we're planning to return to Hawaii to spend a week on Maui, but not before spending a couple of days on Oahu so that we can get back to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet & Marketplace. So in our eyes... YES!

Edited by azappraiser

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for up to date information about the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. Is it worth it? Taking the bus there easy? Can I purchase breakfast food? Is the area a safe place for solo traveler? Thinking of going before my flight in the afternoon.

I'm, also, trying to figure out when is the best time to go.... I definitely will not miss shopping there... Not sure whether we can get on the ship and go from there, go the Wednesday before, or visit the Saturday when we get off the ship before our plane leaves in early evening. It is certainly an experience NOT to be missed. I know The Bus from Waikiki goes by there (I've taken it several times) and pretty sure the stadium is fairly close to the airport. There are shuttles in the parking area for a reasonable cost that will take you back to your hotel in Waikiki but I'm not sure if they will drop you at the airport or cruise terminal. I'd like to find that out, too.

If anyone has the answer, please post.

Can someone save me the work of looking it up and tell me which days of the week they hold the swap meet?

yes... Wednesday and Saturdays for sure ... I'm not sure about Sundays.

I did call Norwegian and asked if we boarded the ship early if we could get off and tour a bit (i.e. go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet) before sail-away. The answer was NO...no ships allow that since 9/11 for security reasons.

yes... Wednesday and Saturdays for sure ... I'm not sure about Sundays.

I did call Norwegian and asked if we boarded the ship early if we could get off and tour a bit (i.e. go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet) before sail-away. The answer was NO...no ships allow that since 9/11 for security reasons.

We are on Oahu for three days in May and Wednesday happens to be the day we will have a rental car. Thanks :)

Alohastadiumswapmeet.net

On Univ of Hawaii game days, the swap meet closes at noon.

The airport is fairly close. Check google maps for bus route info.

Just be careful you aren't buying stuff that was stolen, although I haven't heard of it being too much of a problem lately.

The Saturday Farmer's Market at Kapiolani Community College (aka "KCC") is a very fun spot to visit! You'll find food stalls there to satisfy your breakfast needs - several (including the college's culinary school) sell fresh pastries and you'll find several stalls selling quality coffee, smoothies, juices. You may find some unique items to buy and take home with you (local honey, jams, coffee beans, soaps, etc.). The Bus will get you there - I think it's a choice of the 3, 9, or 23.

We did the Swap Meet two weeks ago and didn't think it was anything to write home about. We spent about an hour browsing and did buy some things, but 90% of the items found there could also be found at any souvenir shop or ABC Store. I wouldn't say they were considerably cheaper at the Swap Meet either. We also found that about every 2-3 tents or so had the same kind of items. There were some food vendors around, but not a ton of options. Was a disappointment for us!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...