Anyone been on Avalon's Siem Reap?

puzzums

Hi All,

I have stateroom 112 on the Siem Reap for my upcoming river cruise on the Mekong. That is the furthest aft room on the lower deck. Will I be inundated with engine noise and/or diesel fumes? Hoping the location of this room won't be a disappointment, though I'm sure I will have an all-around great time no matter what!

Thanks.

Can't help with your question since we have never been on Avalon or any river cruise before. We have been researching various lines (river and Ocean) to explore this part of the world. Would love to hear from you when you return. Why did you choose Avalon and why this time of the year? Many thanks.

It's actually a group tour being headed by the travel agent I've dealt with for many years so the time of year and riverboat company was his choice. I believe he picked January because it's the start of the dry season and temperatures are a little bit cooler. We have chartered the whole boat. I have read every review I can find on Avalon's "Siem Reap" and so far reviews have all been outstanding for 5* treatment, really good food, super friendly staff, and excellent tour guides. The ship itself also gets rave reviews. Looks like we made a really good choice with Avalon. I can hardly wait!

I'll try to submit a review when I return, in early February.

We did the Mekong river Cruise which included Viet Nam and Cambodia with Vantage on a chartered vessel, the Mekong Navigator. This ship and its crew were spectacular! My impression is that every group does pretty much the same things...which were remarkable. The land portions of our trip were very good. Sometimes the group was too large to thoroughly enjoy the venue but still very good. Guides make the trip......ours were all very good, a few exceptional. If possible do go to Halong Bay, it is truly a beautiful magical piece of this part of the world. Our time there was rushed, 22 hours on a lovely boat but really 2 days would have been better.

The Mekong is a wonderful trip. You will enjoy it. My favorite though remains the Irrawaddy and the wonderful people of Myanmar.

puzzums, we have done this trip with Avalon on the same ship. Actually we left for Hanoi one year ago today! I can't speak to any issues with your cabin location, we were in 109, however it's a small ship and small group and you get to know the other passengers well - I don't recall anyone complaining or mentioning any problems with their cabins so I'd not worry about it. We too chose January as we were told it was a dry and cooler time of year, that said after leaving Hanoi it was HOT and were from Texas, along the coast, and used to heat. Bring light weight clothing, you'll probably be showering and changing several times a day. Right before leaving I ran to Walmart and bought 5 short sleeved tee shirts which were life savers. I wish I had brought more light weight capris to wear during the day. I know you didn't ask this, sorry to micro manage your trip. This was a wonderful trip and Avalon did an excellent job. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we took the Vantage Irrawaddy trip. I really loved it. We were trying to get home for Christmas or I definitely would have done the extension to Inle Lake. We had a wonderful guide and it was truly an education. The ship that they used was fantastic.......inside corridor to the cabins which keeps insects down and gives you wonderful vistas of the river from either a veranda or french balcony room. The tours in small villages were well chosen and our days in Yangon and Mandalay used good use of time and energy!

Would love to read reviews of this Avalon tour since I will be going in July.

For those that have been to Vietnam and Cambodia, how did you handle visas (US citizens)? For Vietnam, it seems a visa approval letter (for visa on arrival) can be obtained at a greatly reduced cost over obtaining a visa in advance. Has anyone done this? Does a Cambodian visa have to be obtained in advance, or can one be obtained at the border crossing on the Mekong?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• 2 months later...

We got our Vietnam visa from the consulate in Washington DC. Took a week. Very efficient. Make sure to check if you will need a double entry visa or single. Chances are if you are going to Cambodia you will need a double entry.

We got our Cambodia visa on line.

psygist, you're correct, dress is casual, some did wear shorts but for the most part men wore long pants, lightweight, jeans, whatever is more comfortable for you. Believe me, with the heat you'll be showering and changing multiple times a day. Enjoy your travels, this was a favorite for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Avalon Angkor in June 2014 from Cambodia to Vietnam. It was a wonderful trip and I did put a review on trip advisor under the heading of Avalon Angkor Mekong River Cruise reviewed 5th July 2014. I know they now have a different ship but we really enjoyed our trip with only 32 passengers on board. Just magic. I am sure Avalon Siem Reap would be just as luxurious.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
psygist, you're correct, dress is casual, some did wear shorts but for the most part men wore long pants, lightweight, jeans, whatever is more comfortable for you. Believe me, with the heat you'll be showering and changing multiple times a day. Enjoy your travels, this was a favorite for us.

Appreciate this added info!! Would love to read any added details from your sailings and travels in these areas. Am getting ready for late January 2018 to be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia, with stops in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including Angkor Wat and Hue/Danang. This includes seven days on the Avalon ship sailing up the famed Mekong River. Looking for any and all recent postings from those doing these Mekong "adventures"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,008 views for this posting.