Oosterdam Verandah Room w/ no plexiglass

SeaNStars4Me

Looking at Verandah cabin that doesn't have the plexiglass balcony...but rather a metal one and only has a shower. It's cheaper. Anybody been in one of those and how bad is it?

You could book this as a GUAR and hope to get out of that category on assignment.

We prefer showers so this is a plus for us, but the deal-breaker is not being able to sit down and see the ocean.

If you want to have a good view, these won't do. I would book a good outside to save costs rather than this type of balcony.

We had one on Oostersdam about year ago. Booked Guarantee and this was assigned. Rather disappointed at first, but actually didn't mind. Balcony was larger than one previously had with plexiglass. The main issue was we were right over the main showroom and definitely could hear that at night. Luckily I take earplugs. Anyway, don't think will book guarantee again because of this experience.

Looking at Verandah cabin that doesn't have the plexiglass balcony...but rather a metal one and only has a shower. It's cheaper. Anybody been in one of those and how bad is it?

Been in those rooms many times. Actually prefer the steel. When that sun is beating down on the verandah the steel offers some shade. Plus those balconies are a bit larger (deeper).

Our upcoming cruise has us in one and have no qualms about it.

Dan

IMO any balcony is better than an OV or Inside. At least you can stand at the rail to see things when arriving in or leavng ports, or rush outside if there's an announcement of something to see. At sea there isn't much to see usually, and when doing scenic cruising we don't stay in our cabin, even if it has a plexiglas railing, and see just one side. And booked as a guarantee you always have a chance at a free upgrade. The only time we booked a VH gty we were assigned a VB.

Your question made me consider the issue.

We have had two balconies and used them very little -- Panama Canal we were on the balcony IN the canal until the sun drove us in, and the rest of the cruise it was too hot and muggy to enjoy being outside. South America around the horn -- my mom and I did stand at the rail most of Glacier Alley. The rest of the time it was too cold!

BUT we did like the light of the floor to ceiling "windows" and we like the arrangement of the two balcony rooms we were in with the sofa and desk near the "window", instead of the bed under the window in an OV. (We also did have an OV on Main on the Nieuw Am. that had that arrangement, which was fine as well.) (And we have a Lanai on the Rotterdam booked!)

The steel veranda would be pretty much moot, for the factors above. So thank you for the tip of a new sub-category of stateroom for me to be looking out for!