Making plans for a return-What should Mitsugirly do next?

mitsugirly

We have stayed at the "free" area on the beach and walked down to the conch graveyard, visited the pool area and so on, on our first trip there.

Next time, we rented a golf cart and had a great time exploring the island, going to the lighthouse, Bohio, and Governors and off a beaten path.

What next? Is there anything else to "see" that I might have missed when we were exploring on the golf cart? I know the island is really small and believe we covered anything of interest when we were there last time (not into shopping or visiting places to eat).

Last time we had really wanted to head the opposite direction as well (but ran out of time and wanted to spend a little time at the port and pool prior to getting back on the ship) and go down to the snorkeling (?) area.

Walking along the beach area and heading toward the conch graveyard, I know it's beyond that area. But I also remember there might be a path up above leading to it that makes it a little more easier to walk. I can't remember who showed pictures once....maybe Crew? :confused:

I thought I had saved maps and everything, but can't find them now.

Someone walk me through how to get down to the end where ever the snorkeling area is and how is the entry there? Rocky? Any beachy area? I assume it's just a place to snorkel only and not a place you would hang out most of the day right?

What about the area to the "right", when getting off the ship, as far as hanging out afterwards? I was thinking it was "maybe" a rocky area as well? (We gotta have a place for our little one to swim and play and not just snorkel).

Next...what about Discover Scuba? We have recently done this and absolutely LOVED it. Is this a good place to do Discover Scuba? Any vendors anyone would recommend? My daughter is a PADI Seal member and is scuba diving monthly, after completing her class, until she can get certified (at the age of 10). She has also done the Bubble Makers class in St Thomas. So this would be an option as well. So for us to do the Discover Scuba, we would need a vendor that would also offer the bubble maker class.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. :)

Hey there,

Snorkeling area around the point? It's been a while ago (May 2010) but we were down in that area hoping to snorkel, but we didn't have the best weather day and we didn't even try since we didn't think we'd see much. But I did get some pictures of that area that I can share.

I do think there is now a path that cuts through and saves time (quickest distance between two points is a straight line...lol!) instead of walking to the point and around. I also remember a post about that, think I also commented, and it may have been beshears, but not positive. I *think* the path may be near the Apollo statue they have, which was not there when we visited.

Snorkeling in that area...that is when I "accidentally" found CC, searching for information/snorkeling spots in GT. It was mentioned that is the area where some of the snorkeling excursions went. There was mention of two poles on that side. I remember seeing one, but whether it is still there or whether the snorkeling is decent or not, I have no clue. :p

But attaching those pictures.

If you walk the beach area, this is what you'll see around the point. Lots of shells and only a few others there. People just looking for shells or checking it out, didn't see anyone snorkeling. This was from the beach just beyond the point. The next pictures will be a little further down the beach:

100_7411.jpg

View from this area of the beach (faces south) and looking toward the west and back to the point:

100_7420.jpg

From that same spot (facing south), looking to my left (east). It appears there is a lot of rock, coral in this area but areas where you could snorkel:

100_7421.jpg

Zoomed view of that rocky/coral area. The water was pretty choppy, clarity probably wouldn't have been great and this is why we didn't bother trying to snorkel:

100_7422.jpg

Another view of that area:

100_7423.jpg

Hope this helps give you some idea. Again, this was almost seven years ago, so I don't know if this area has changed since then.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

MG...Looks like you've done everything except horseback riding or the helo tour. I'm hearing the vendors that do discover scuba are very expensive, more than other ports. But see what Grand Turk Diving offers. Go snorkeling out to the wall if you haven't. Blue Water Divers is the other non-cruise ship diving/snorkeling company. Oasis offer snuba through the cruise center.

If you go right there are loungers up to the excursion dock and whale statue but after that you'll need a towel and probably get all nearly all the way to Boaby Point before finding clear sand to layout on. One of the places between MV and Jack's has some water toys, iceberg etc..

We're in a similar situation and heading back in a month. We're doing golf carts again, but stopping at John's in Cockburn town versus Pillory Beach. Kinda a beach day sorta place. Most exciting thing happening is the name changes and business turnover of places in the cruise center area.:D

Hey there,

Snorkeling area around the point? It's been a while ago (May 2010) but we were down in that area hoping to snorkel, but we didn't have the best weather day and we didn't even try since we didn't think we'd see much. But I did get some pictures of that area that I can share.

Yes, at the "point" or around that area. I just recall seeing a review or a post or something from someone awhile back and it showed a "path" (that wasn't the beach) that took you there. I remember someone saying it was around a helicopter pad area too (or maybe that was by golf cart).

I do think there is now a path that cuts through and saves time (quickest distance between two points is a straight line...lol!) instead of walking to the point and around. I also remember a post about that, think I also commented, and it may have been beshears, but not positive. I *think* the path may be near the Apollo statue they have, which was not there when we visited.

Snorkeling in that area...that is when I "accidentally" found CC, searching for information/snorkeling spots in GT. It was mentioned that is the area where some of the snorkeling excursions went. There was mention of two poles on that side. I remember seeing one, but whether it is still there or whether the snorkeling is decent or not, I have no clue. :p

But attaching those pictures.

If you walk the beach area, this is what you'll see around the point. Lots of shells and only a few others there. People just looking for shells or checking it out, didn't see anyone snorkeling. This was from the beach just beyond the point. The next pictures will be a little further down the beach:

View from this area of the beach (faces south) and looking toward the west and back to the point:

From that same spot (facing south), looking to my left (east). It appears there is a lot of rock, coral in this area but areas where you could snorkel:

Zoomed view of that rocky/coral area. The water was pretty choppy, clarity probably wouldn't have been great and this is why we didn't bother trying to snorkel:

Another view of that area:

Hope this helps give you some idea. Again, this was almost seven years ago, so I don't know if this area has changed since then.

Hmmm, just looking at those pictures, it doesn't appeal to me as a snorkeling area. Maybe it's just because of all the waves or it could be the jagged rocks in the water. I don't know. Not exactly what I had pictured. Hopefully I can find more pictures and these poles that are supposed to be there. That might help me determine if it's what I'm looking for.

Is this the thread? There is a map that you posted on Page 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2162948

No, that's not the map I was referring to. This was a map of how to get to the point and the snorkeling area. That's just a map of the port area and where things are located.

MG...Looks like you've done everything except horseback riding or the helo tour. I'm hearing the vendors that do discover scuba are very expensive, more than other ports. But see what Grand Turk Diving offers. Go snorkeling out to the wall if you haven't. Blue Water Divers is the other non-cruise ship diving/snorkeling company. Oasis offer snuba through the cruise center.

If you go right there are loungers up to the excursion dock and whale statue but after that you'll need a towel and probably get all nearly all the way to Boaby Point before finding clear sand to layout on. One of the places between MV and Jack's has some water toys, iceberg etc..

We're in a similar situation and heading back in a month. We're doing golf carts again, but stopping at John's in Cockburn town versus Pillory Beach. Kinda a beach day sorta place. Most exciting thing happening is the name changes and business turnover of places in the cruise center area.:D

That's what I figured (about doing most of everything already). We haven't done the Helo Tour, but they did us. :p (We rented the golf cart, went off the beaten path, got stuck and had to push our way out...while the helicopters circled over us...over and over...how embarrassing). :cool:

I was thinking that the dive operators there were super expensive. I'll check out the places you referred just to see.

The wall...whew, I get scared at walls. The thought of a drop off to no end and what could be down there completely freaks me out. So, not sure that's the thing for me. Regular scuba from the beach with a steady decline it more of what I'm looking for.

BOABY POINT...yes, now I have a name to help search for that area. I couldn't remember what it was called. I don't have a problem just throwing down a towel on the beach. We do this a lot. Thanks so much. You didn't happen to be the one that had a review with pictures of the walk from Boaby Point back to the cruise point where you Crew?

So I must have saved some of the pictures of walking along the way that someone else had posted at some point. (Of course it doesn't help me determine how to find this path, but it's the review that I was referring to).

p172678687-5-M.jpg

p247659831-5-M.jpg

p482314373-5-M.jpg

These are the pictures I was referring to.

You mentioned the Helo tours. We were there the week before last. Not the first time did we see a helicopter. It was a beautiful day. I thought it was kinda odd, no buzzing overhead. I wonder if it's still running.........maybe it was down for maintenance?

Edited by satbeachbill

Hmmm, just looking at those pictures, it doesn't appeal to me as a snorkeling area. Maybe it's just because of all the waves or it could be the jagged rocks in the water. I don't know. Not exactly what I had pictured. Hopefully I can find more pictures and these poles that are supposed to be there. That might help me determine if it's what I'm looking for.

Yeah, it didn't appeal to us either and it didn't look like we'd see much anyway if we tried. I don't know if it's always this choppy or not, but I do remember that it took the ship's captain three tries to dock in Grand Turk that day. Luckily he was able to dock on that third try because if not, we were informed that we'd have missed port. So it was definitely choppier that particular day but I've also heard that that side of the island is usually choppier anyway.

No, that's not the map I was referring to. This was a map of how to get to the point and the snorkeling area. That's just a map of the port area and where things are located.

OK. This is the map I saw, so I may have missed that other post you mentioned. I'm sure you'll find something different and fun to do. :)

OK. This is the map I saw, so I may have missed that other post you mentioned. I'm sure you'll find something different and fun to do. :)

I'm thinking I want to do THIS, but the only problem is that it's only a 2 hour excursion and that's just TOO short. I need a vendor that goes for longer.

(The other thing is...and I just found this out last night, the day we are here is Sakari's birthday :eek:)

I'm thinking I want to do THIS, but the only problem is that it's only a 2 hour excursion and that's just TOO short. I need a vendor that goes for longer.

(The other thing is...and I just found this out last night, the day we are here is Sakari's birthday :eek:)

Gibbs Cay...I think I'd like that one. I'd love to hit a deserted island, but I agree with 2 hours being short. I need more time than that when we visit a beach. I haven't seen too much about it recently though, but do remember it mentioned, and with pictures, either here or in past reviews.

Not 100% positive, but there is an island in the distance in the pictures I posted above...I *think* that is Gibbs Cay. Again, not 100% on that.

As for snorkeling in that spot, it didn't look great to me either, so that's why we blew that off and headed back. This may not have been that spot that I'd seen mentioned. We just may not have gone far enough. Of course, it wasn't the best weather when we got there. It took the ship's captain 3 times do finally dock due to the winds. They announced that if they didn't get it on the 3rd try, they would have had to miss port. I don't know if that played a factor in the water on the south side of GT that day or not.

Just be advised that there's nothing facilities wise on that east side of Boaby Rock. I've see dive inflatables there, but the water/current can be rough as it's the windward side of the island. So not sure how far out it is until the drop off to the reefs or how far under the surface the reefs are. So be careful.

• 4 weeks later...

Try going to bohio dive resort. You'll need to call them, as they don't advertise any cruise pax activities, but we send folks there every time we are on a cruise and they rave about the snorkeling. They take you in a boat out to the edge of the Wall.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have pictures on my shutterfly share site from my trip last week.

https://mycruisememories.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

The snorkeling there was ok but yes, the water was rough. Read the descriptions on the pix.

What camera do you use? Been looking for a waterproof one...

What camera do you use? Been looking for a waterproof one...

I got a basic Fuji at BJ's or something. Maybe $100 or a little more. It's good but not great - but does the job without the investment.

I have also had a Canon which was quite a bit more money and the quality really isn't that much different.

So I must have saved some of the pictures of walking along the way that someone else had posted at some point. (Of course it doesn't help me determine how to find this path, but it's the review that I was referring to).

These are the pictures I was referring to.

When you get off the pier head to the right. Cut through the cruise center's chairs until you hit the end of the property. You can continue along the beach - but it got a bit rocky so we cut inland a bit and walked along the road/path that you had pictured. It's maybe a 10-15 min walk at most.

I have added similar pictures here...

Try going to bohio dive resort. You'll need to call them, as they don't advertise any cruise pax activities, but we send folks there every time we are on a cruise and they rave about the snorkeling. They take you in a boat out to the edge of the Wall.

Well...honestly, that will never happen. We went to Bohio on our last trip to GT and honestly, didn't really care for it. The beach was pretty, but we really didn't find the staff to be very friendly. It had the type of sand that was really hard to walk in and you sunk everywhere. We found the water to have a lot of sea urchins and snorkeling wasn't good from the beach, as that's usually the snorkeling we like to do. The food was REALLY over priced ($20 for a plate, the chicken strips tasted like fish, a spoon of coleslaw and a few fries that wasn't the best).

So on to now. I have decided to go to Gibbs Cay and swim with the rays that come there. I was told that Bohio offers a trip there (and snorkeling at the wall). So, I thought ok, I won't be actually STAYING at Bohio, so I'll give it a shot. I emailed them about it asking about the price for the trip there and how to book. I got an email back from them, not about ANY of the questions that I ask about, but instead encouraging me to come spend a day with them at the beach...the same beach I had already experienced with them. Then listed all their prices for rentals of items they had and a note about not bringing your own drinks/food.

Once again, I emailed them back, letting them know that I was not looking to come back to their beach "again" and ask my original questions about Gibbs. Their next reply was "We could not offer you a Gibbs Cay Excursion at this time as it is always subject to weather and availability . " :eek: :confused: Um ok. That would be the case for ANY excursion on ANY island. I don't think I have EVER come across a place that would not offer you the excursion, let you book, then if the weather is terrible the day you dock, cancel the excursion. BUT, they were willing to book if I wanted to do a private excursion there...for the price of $450.

Thanks, but no thanks. This correspondence from them this last time has completely turned me off from this vendor. I didn't care for them the first time, I definitely don't care for them now and will never use them for any excursions in the future now. :(

I have pictures on my shutterfly share site from my trip last week.

The snorkeling there was ok but yes, the water was rough. Read the descriptions on the pix.

Thanks for sharing. It sucks that the water was rough and it looks like it had the water stirred up. I think I'm going to skip this place for now. Maybe in the future.

Well...honestly, that will never happen. We went to Bohio on our last trip to GT and honestly, didn't really care for it. The beach was pretty, but we really didn't find the staff to be very friendly. It had the type of sand that was really hard to walk in and you sunk everywhere. We found the water to have a lot of sea urchins and snorkeling wasn't good from the beach, as that's usually the snorkeling we like to do. The food was REALLY over priced ($20 for a plate, the chicken strips tasted like fish, a spoon of coleslaw and a few fries that wasn't the best).

So on to now. I have decided to go to Gibbs Cay and swim with the rays that come there. I was told that Bohio offers a trip there (and snorkeling at the wall). So, I thought ok, I won't be actually STAYING at Bohio, so I'll give it a shot. I emailed them about it asking about the price for the trip there and how to book. I got an email back from them, not about ANY of the questions that I ask about, but instead encouraging me to come spend a day with them at the beach...the same beach I had already experienced with them. Then listed all their prices for rentals of items they had and a note about not bringing your own drinks/food.

Once again, I emailed them back, letting them know that I was not looking to come back to their beach "again" and ask my original questions about Gibbs. Their next reply was "We could not offer you a Gibbs Cay Excursion at this time as it is always subject to weather and availability . " :eek: :confused: Um ok. That would be the case for ANY excursion on ANY island. I don't think I have EVER come across a place that would not offer you the excursion, let you book, then if the weather is terrible the day you dock, cancel the excursion. BUT, they were willing to book if I wanted to do a private excursion there...for the price of $450.

Thanks, but no thanks. This correspondence from them this last time has completely turned me off from this vendor. I didn't care for them the first time, I definitely don't care for them now and will never use them for any excursions in the future now. :(

Thanks for sharing. It sucks that the water was rough and it looks like it had the water stirred up. I think I'm going to skip this place for now. Maybe in the future.

Ugh, that always makes me feel bad when service isn't what it used to be

:(

I can't imagine how much business they are missing out on if this is how they work.

Ugh, that always makes me feel bad when service isn't what it used to be

:(

I can't imagine how much business they are missing out on if this is how they work.

That was my thoughts exactly. They could potentially be losing out on a lot of money from cruisers that are interested in doing this excursion.

have you spent any time in Cockburn town? we have gone to a beach bar/restaurant in town called The Sandbar. the beach right in front of the bar and next door were great for beach glass hunting. good food, cold beer, beach glass :)

realistically every beach on the island is public, so you could always golf cart it until you find a stretch of beach that looks promising. :)

have you spent any time in Cockburn town? we have gone to a beach bar/restaurant in town called The Sandbar. the beach right in front of the bar and next door were great for beach glass hunting. good food, cold beer, beach glass :)

realistically every beach on the island is public, so you could always golf cart it until you find a stretch of beach that looks promising. :)

We rented a golf cart last time we were there and went around the whole island and stopped at the beaches along the way. But this time we have decided to go over to Gibbs Cay. :)

We rented a golf cart last time we were there and went around the whole island and stopped at the beaches along the way. But this time we have decided to go over to Gibbs Cay. :)

Good choice! I've heard excellent things about Gibbs!