Is 12 days in an inside room enough to curl your hair?

barbaraanne

Hi, we will be on Breakaway in February for a 12 day down to southern Caribbean. I have an inside gty booked, but am hoping to upgrade it to a balcony maybe if prices drop, or maybe I'll get an upgrade?? I have cruised 9 times on Carnival and Princess, always with a balcony, but to afford the 12 day had to do an inside. I am really into trying all the restaurants and shows on the Breakaway, but had to cut corners somewhere.

Will I freak out on a 12 day in an inside room, if I am not claustrophobic? Is there enough room in an inside to survive 12 days and enjoy yourself?

thanks!

Size wise an inside is almost identical to an outside or balcony room. I spent 3 weeks on NCL Epic in a studio(which is a bit smaller), and didn't have any problems.

How much time(beside sleep), are you really in the room? For most people it's not much. :)

The one time we had an inside was on a 9 day cruise with 4 sea days. The size of the room was fine. It was the lack of light that was difficult to adjust to. We had the TV channel set to the outside bow camera 24x7 and used the spa every day. Hopefully you will be able to get an upgrade close to sailing date.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Hi there again! I posted on your parking thread

You are so right about the price and the inside guarantee plus the kids sail free and Obc promo is allowing the 3 of us to cruise for $2150 including port fee and taxes. Add $432 tips and still not bad. Sign and sail if $1000 and for $3500 3 of us have 12 days during January college break!! Approx $100 per day per person is very good IMHO

And the best part is I am only paying for me!!! The kids pay for themselves. They have a great work ethic and have the cash!!

New York Times had a travel article today that suggested that all parents should have their kids kick in for travel expenses. They weren't just talking about souvenirs either. They said airfare is a good place to start

Heck I have been doing that for years.

In 2012 I took $500 from the 3 older ones for excursions on the med cruise

And in 2016 for the Baltic I am billing them $1000 each toward airfare. The youngest will be included this time too

They all work and 3 are of legal age. They all get 8 semesters of college and thankfully they earn scholarships but having them kick in for travel is a good thing and they don't complain

They all pay for their cells too. Even the 13 yo. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Hi, we will be on Breakaway in February for a 12 day down to southern Caribbean. I have an inside gty booked, but am hoping to upgrade it to a balcony maybe if prices drop, or maybe I'll get an upgrade?? I have cruised 9 times on Carnival and Princess, always with a balcony, but to afford the 12 day had to do an inside. I am really into trying all the restaurants and shows on the Breakaway, but had to cut corners somewhere.

Will I freak out on a 12 day in an inside room, if I am not claustrophobic? Is there enough room in an inside to survive 12 days and enjoy yourself?

thanks!

That really depends on you.

We don't like it. For a 3 or 4 nighter, OK, but longer,no way. We always get a balcony even if its a cheap one. On our 21 nighter coming up we only have a cove, which is the lowest catagory there is for a balcony up fornt near the water level,but we don't care.:)

You'll just be in there to sleep, shower, change and nap. The rest of the time you have the entire ship. As someone else suggested, turn the TV to the bow cam channel. The gradual change from full dark to daylight will awaken you naturally, and you'll be able to check the weather, be alerted if there's land ahoy and that type of thing.

I hope it works out for you. 2 nights in an inside cabin would curl my hair. I have booked inside cabins 3 times but after a week of cold sweats upgraded the bookings to balconies. Unlike others I like to spend a lot of time in my cabin usually relaxing on the balcony.

Interesting thread for me. We've had a balcony cabin on the Epic and enjoyed the room size although smaller than OV on Carnival Liberty. We did have a problem with smoke above and next to us. Because we are eyeing a repositioning cruise in the spring, we wondered about an inside cabin on the Epic. They appear nice but small. We booked a 7 day cruise, inside cabin, for Nov. as that's the only way to know for sure. I'm wondering if there would be room to open a standard-sized quad chair in the room. Hubby spends a lot more time in the room than I do. This will be the first cabin we've had with no in-room seating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This has been fun reading all the different answers! I do believe that it will be the lack of natural light that will be curl my hair, not the size of the cabin. And not having a chair or couch in the room is a little bit of a drag too. I am really starting to wonder if I ought to consider a different, shorter cruise.

Between the $400 for the parking garage and the cost to buy thermal suite passes for the cruise when leaving in mid-winter from NYC, we could buy air somewhere else...sigh. However, I really do like the idea of the thermal suite!

Although mine was a 5 day cruise we did get a free upgrade to an obstructed view from inside. Not a balcony but all the ocean views we were grouped with got upgraded to balconies.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

For me personally, I could not do an inside for that many days. I need the natural light plus I like sitting on the balcony watching the ocean. We thought that we could do an inside (told ourselves no big deal) so I booked a 10 day (2 5 day B2B). When we got off the ship, we decided never again. It has to be at least an ocean view or we are not booking.

After the Concordia accident, we always get a balcony. Never to be stuck in a room with only 1 exit.

Really? You would jump off the balcony? From a listing ship? Wouldn't matter which way it was listing either. You would either slide under the ship or die jumping into the water if you were listing toward the water or drown if the balcony was listing away from the water and that would be after you slide down the side of the ship and got caught in the underneath equipment.

If you had said after the carnival triumph towing disaster you might have a point as you would have had fresh air and light

Do you travel with several yards of sturdy rope? You know just in case you want to escape via your balcony. Lol.

Edited by luvtheships

Do you travel with several yards of sturdy rope? You know just in case you want to escape via your balcony. Lol.

Always choose a ship with a rock climbing wall, that way you have time to practice your repelling in case of emergency. :D

After the Concordia accident, we always get a balcony. Never to be stuck in a room with only 1 exit.

After seeing all the film footage of the Concordia, I wouldn't want to be on the side of the ship that was listing, if I had a balcony. (Oops, just read the rest of the thread and realized my point had already been covered.)

Edited by Windy56

Of course we love to have a balcony, but we prefer to cruise more often and by cruising in an inside or oceanview, we have been able to do that. We are booked on the Dawn 14 night repo 11/7/14 on deck 8. Also in an inside for 12 nights on our Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to New Zealand. (room is a nice size on this ship). We would rather be in an inside and cruise more often. Our RC Rhapsody (older ship, small rooms) we have a Panoramic cabin, and our RC Freedom has a balcony. Depends on price.

I was more referring to the inside doors that were bent and could not open. I would rather at least have 2 ways to get out if anything happened :)

I didn't know inside doors were bent due to the impact. How did that happen? I guess they were thrown off kilter? They could not have been impacted could they?

Edited by luvtheships

It really is a personal preference and you need to ask yourself honestly what you are prepared to accept. For me it doesn't matter how much time I spend in my room. I still want to be able to look out a window and better yet open the door and immediately get some fresh air.

I love the natural light coming into the room when I am in the room during the day and I don't want to get fully dressed so that I can walk up a couple of decks just to find an outside promenade deck to get some fresh air.

Natural light and fresh air are so important to me that I am fully prepared to pay the price for a balcony. If I can't afford the balcony then I don't cruise. Period.