I don't get it?- Tunisia call still on?

bryce125

They have definitely cancelled it for the near future as our upcoming cruise has now diverted the stop in Tunisia to Cagliari, Italy. I think they have cancelled this port until the end of May at this point. I do not think they will go to any port where there are any safety concerns.

HAL is thinking very realistically actually.

it is not because of a single terrorist attack, that a country should be avoided at all cost.

I feel safe in Tunesia ( just been there actually, walked past the museum, which seems open. Security forces are there in masses and people really hope the tourists, and thus their source of income will return).

We had a museum terrorist attack here in Belgium last year, yet nobody would contemplate putting our country on the "avoid due security concerns" list.

In the USA, there are weekly mass shootings too, in public places like malls. That is also terrorism, but nobody seems to mind that as it is not religion motivated. ( neither are the ISIS attacks though, They only want to spread terror, not faith and have killed 100's times more Muslims than Christians)

HAL keeps up to date with State Dept warnings on terrorist activities. They issue cautions for certain countries and HAL takes precautions of their own. As the Belgian cruiser said, it can happen anywhere. We all need to take our personal precautions also. The museum attack could not have been anticipated. Did people stop going to NY after 9/11--for a little while.

HAL is thinking very realistically actually.

it is not because of a single terrorist attack, that a country should be avoided at all cost.

I feel safe in Tunesia ( just been there actually, walked past the museum, which seems open. Security forces are there in masses and people really hope the tourists, and thus their source of income will return).

We had a museum terrorist attack here in Belgium last year, yet nobody would contemplate putting our country on the "avoid due security concerns" list.

In the USA, there are weekly mass shootings too, in public places like malls. That is also terrorism, but nobody seems to mind that as it is not religion motivated. ( neither are the ISIS attacks though, They only want to spread terror, not faith and have killed 100's times more Muslims than Christians)

I dare say most people view Belgium quite differently than Tunisia. I have visited several times including the museum and it is sad and tragic what has happened but I would be somewhat reluctant to visit again right now.

Per the HAL website under Travel Advisory at the bottom of the web page:

March 21, 2015 — Holland America Line has made the decision to cancel upcoming port calls to La Goulette, Tunisia through the end of May, 2015.

This change affects the following three departures:

The April 19, 2015, 7-day Mediterranean Glamour on ms Eurodam will now call in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy on April 21, 2015 instead of the previously scheduled call in La Goulette, Tunis.

The May 6 2015, 11-day Mediterranean Explorer cruise on ms Zuiderdam will now have a day at sea on May 9 rather than calling in La Goulette, Tunisia, and a new port of call on May 10 in Olbia, Sardinia, Italy on a previously scheduled sea day.

The May 17, 2015, 11-day Mediterranean Explorer on ms Zuiderdam will now call in Olbia, Sardinia, Italy on May 24, a previously scheduled sea day. May 25 will now be a sea day, previously La Goulette, Tunis.

Booked guests on these sailings and their travel agents will be notified of the changes.

Scheduled calls to La Goulette, Tunisia beyond the end of May will be evaluated as the sailing dates get closer. At Holland America Line the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority.

We were on a Med. cruise 6 or 8 years ago and were supposed to call on Tunis, Tunisia. The stop was cancelled due to "unrest" and we went to Palermo, Sicily. This not a brand new thing, and it not just Americans who are in danger.

I would avoid Tunis and that was before the attacks. I felt very unsafe there personally. Would I avoid the cruise? No. Just stay on the ship at the port or maybe visit the port shops and ride a camel at the port or something.

If others feel safe that is their prerogative. This is just my opinion.