Who has been to Belize?

MaiTaiMary

My DH has always wanted to visit Belize. For our next cruise, we are strongly considering a Western Caribbean cruise, because of this.

I've been looking at reviews here off/on for the past couple of days and Belize sure doesn't get very high marks! :(

Can somebody tell me more about your stop at Belize? What are the popular things to do here?

ETA: If anybody has pictures they can post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Edited by MaiTaiMary

The two big things are snorkeling or cave tubing. I've only ever done the snorkeling. The port area is kind of a dump but a lot of them are. Be sure to check out the ports of call page for Belize.

I enjoyed the snorkeling trip.

I loved Belize, we were there for the first time in 2010 the day after tropical storm Richard hit, it looked like a total ghetto, but it was a great stop. We went to Altun Ha and spent the day there.

I had the best pour it yourself $5 Rum in the Coconut drink, made on the street by a local, friggen great rum.

Most of the time the people who have a problem with Belize are the people who don't take an excursion. We have been there twice, the first time we went cave tubing and the second time we went snorkeling and to Bannister Island. Loved both times. We are also going back in Feb.

It's been while (2009), but we did a Carnival excursion to Goff Caye in the morning and then checked out the port area and found a bar to have a couple of beers in the afternoon. Goff Caye is beautiful although I don't recommend the snorkeling part of the excursion. Way too many people in one big herd. Scared off anything alive under the water.

Belize is beautiful but the area around the port is not very nice. We did the cave tubing through an outside vendor (total hoot, would do again in a heartbeat but you do travel quite a distance and roads are not great), Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion through Carnival (one of the few ship sponsored ones we have done and it was excellent), and also snorkeling/island stop (arranged this after docking; weather was not nice so got quite a deal and of course, the weather cleared and we had a nice time at the beach).

We have been there twice, the first time we went cave tubing and the second time we went snorkeling and to Bannister Island. Loved both times. We are also going back in Feb.

Is this an accurate picture of Bannister Island?

P2170072.jpg

If so....

definitely not my cuppa tea. :(

I have been to Belize twice. First time I did a tour that included a snorkle/catamaran sail and an island stop, the second time I did the cave tubing. (Both were ship's tours). I really enjoyed both and thought the people running the tours were terrific. Did not feel in any way threatened or unsafe.

I'd go back to Belize long before I'd have any desire to go back to Jamaica.

We were in Belize 3 yrs ago went Zip-lining & Cave-tubing, lunch included with an outside vendor. We are doing this same excursion again in late October because our kids/grandkids want to do it -- can't wait. Good luck -

It all depends on what you want to do.

We enjoy walking off the ship and exploring the local area and town. We did this in Belize and would never do it again. Get 50 yards from the ship and you are confronted by some guy with a snake around his neck.

There is absolutely nothing to see in town except dirt and poverty (it's really quite sad). We did wind up buying something (I forget what) from a mother and small girl sitting by the side of the road.

Those that get off the tender, walk around..and get back onthe ship.....horrible! poor! NIGHTMARE!!! ETC,ETC,ETC

The other response is WOW!

Those that take tours to the ruins. Those that take snorkeling excursions. Those that visit the rain forest. Those that visit the Ruins.

Caution on your source...Ask very specific questions. Been to Belize more than half a dozen times, love it!

It all depends on what you want to do.

Nice beaches. Snorkeling. Nothing too packed with people. We don't need too many activities. Just like some R & R and we're definitely "beach people". I don't like crowds, though. I'm thinking Eastern Carib might have more secluded beaches (?)

Just can't decide between Western or Eastern...

We went to Belize this summer on the Dream. We did the snorkel and breach break from the ship. It was excellent! We were able to snorkel at the best place we have ever seen! The guides were wonderful. After the snorkel, we took a ride to a private beach. There was a free open bar on the way to the beach. Once on the beach, you could purchase lunch and drinks. There were plenty of lounge chairs, kayaks, and a beach to hang around on. They even supplied floats to float on. After the beach, it was once again open bar back to the ship. We took shower, then took the boat into the village. We went to the chocolate factory, made chocolate bars, had chocolate shots, and purchased several chocolate items. We walked in the village for about an hour, and went back to the ship. Looking forward to returning.

Belize is a great country to visit and explore. Unfortunately, the shop stops at Belize City, which is a ghetto and not a true representation of the country as a whole. To enjoy Belize, you need to spend a week or two to really enjoy this beautiful country. 6 hours off a cruise ship doesn't do Belize justice.

Listen to the other posters. We were there last November, went on a private excursion to Lamanai Mayan ruins. Quite the trip! One of our group, without asking the group, landed our tour in downtown Belize City. No thank you, had we known he had pre-arranged this with the driver, without our consent, we would have created quite a fuss! So much poverty, etc. I would never go without a tour. Otherwise, there is nothing to go see.

we was suppost to go cave tubing and ziplinning but the water was to high to do cave tubing so out tour guid asked us if we wanted to go see the ruins. He also stoped and got us lunch at a local very good place. I loved the tour he gave us, very nice family. we booked threw. Major Tom and Minor Tom

We went to Belize this summer on the Dream. We did the snorkel and breach break from the ship. It was excellent! We were able to snorkel at the best place we have ever seen! The guides were wonderful. After the snorkel, we took a ride to a private beach. There was a free open bar on the way to the beach. Once on the beach, you could purchase lunch and drinks. There were plenty of lounge chairs, kayaks, and a beach to hang around on. They even supplied floats to float on. After the beach, it was once again open bar back to the ship. We took shower, then took the boat into the village. We went to the chocolate factory, made chocolate bars, had chocolate shots, and purchased several chocolate items. We walked in the village for about an hour, and went back to the ship. Looking forward to returning.

I really want to go to the chocolate factorynext time, but was wondering how to fit it in with an excursion. Do you remember the name of the excursion you took?

We loved Belize! DH went on the ship excursion to the ruins that start with an "X" (don't know how it is spelled). He had a terrific time .... all 8 hours of it. The ruins are right near the border with Guatemala and he said felt very safe. We just roamed about the port area and had a great time. Talked to some very nice people running some of the craft booths. Very cheap medications, if you want that kind of stuff. A friend from the ship went on a tour to the zoo to feed the baby leopards (or tigers, can't rememeber which)and they said it was the highlight of the trip. the tender ride into the port is almost an excursion itself.

We went to Belize last October (aboard the Dream), and while we wanted to go snorkeling or cave tubing, we opted for a Belize City Tour instead since we were traveling with our 23 month old son (who needless to say, was too young to participate in most excursions). We booked the Belize City Tour even after the shore excursion desk staff told us not to expect much.

Well, it's true that Belize is a poor and underpopulated country, and at first glance, many would turn around and go (more like run) back to the ship, but we absolutely LOVED the tour! From the beginning, the tour guide told us not to expect to be wowed by architectural landmarks or big monuments, but the tour would focus on how Belizeans lived. We drove all over the city, from the wealthier suburbs, to the most oppresed parts of the city. And while some of the sights were right down heartbreaking, the smiles and genuine hellos from everybody along the streets made us love Belize. We learned so much about this place!

True, we didn't get to go cave-tubing, or go snorkeling, but we took memories that will last us a lifetime. We agreed that this tour of Belize was the highlight of our cruise...!

Here are some photos:

Arriving by Tender to the Welcome Center in Belize

CD071.jpg

Our wonderful Tour guide

CD072.jpg

St. John's Cathedral

CD073.jpg

We even had a chance to sit during mass and were welcomed by the priest and congregation

CD075.jpg

Museum of Belize

CD079.jpg

Shops and restaurants along the water

CD083.jpg

Edited by Tapi

I've been to Belize City once....we skipped it another time due to a TS.. Going again in April 2013!

When I research Belize...there seemed to me two excursions that stood out to me as unavailable elsewhere....Cave tubing and visiting Altun Ha/Lamanai Mayan ruins/temples. Cave tubing seemed to me to be too commercialized...so it came down to Altun Ha or Lamanai. I picked the Lamanai ruins/New River tour. Really you get a lot of excursion for your money on the tour....basically it last all day but you do lots of different things along the way... I recommend it and it is DEFINITELY something off the beaten path....

PA200198.JPG

This sucker is really amazing as it the ride TO it that is available by BOAT ride on the New River....

Staying in port.....this really isn't the place to do that. Cozumel is best for that...Key West is great and Nassau is pretty good too. But Belize City, Freeport, Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan...really best to go DO something...