Explorer propulsion problem....

Just heard that the Explorer is having propulsion problems and will be leaving Bermuda earlier than expected because of Cristobal. Hope it isn't too rough for them coming back to NJ.

They were about 1 hr. late getting into Bermuda and I noticed when they docked this morning, that a tug was used to push it to the dock.

Anybody else hear anything? We leave on the Explorer on Thursday.

Gwen :)

Let me know if I need to pack my oars. LOL I may have room for them in my carry on but the suitcases are pretty full. Packing for the B2B has been fun. Cool in one direction and warm in the other. I hope they have a safe trip back and are able to miss Christobal.

I hope they have a safe trip back and are able to miss Christobal.

That is the most important thing. Might be a little rough for them.

I think, if anything, we might just miss a port or two. Just don't know which ones. I seriously doubt they would cancel our whole cruise.

Noticed the weather in Bermuda is pretty nasty. :(

Gwen

My daughter is on board right now. Last update I heard from her was earlier this afternoon. Captain announced they may be leaving Bermuda at 7 a.m Tuesday morning. She also told me that she spoke to a passenger currently on the Dawn and they may be leaving at 6 a.m.

Propulsion problem caused the late arrival this morning. Hopefully they were able to fix the problem.

Edited by trvlmil

My daughter is onboard and she says they were just floating with no power before pulling into Bermuda late. She was told the propeller was broke. Then they arrived late and have to leave early to stay ahead of the storm. I would think they will head north to be near port for Thursday instead of staying in warmer waters. Just a bad situation all around for people who wait and wait for a cruise and this happens. My daughter has cruised before but her husband hasn't. Can't be a pleasing time I am sure, but she did write and say she is making the best of a bad situation!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

My daughter is onboard and she says they were just floating with no power before pulling into Bermuda late. She was told the propeller was broke. Then they arrived late and have to leave early to stay ahead of the storm. I would think they will head north to be near port for Thursday instead of staying in warmer waters. Just a bad situation all around for people who wait and wait for a cruise and this happens. My daughter has cruised before but her husband hasn't. Can't be a pleasing time I am sure, but she did write and say she is making the best of a bad situation!

Thanks for the info. I wonder how soon we will hear about what effect it will have, if any, on future cruises. We leave tomorrow for our journey to NJ for our cruise on the Explorer on Thursday. I'd really hate for it to be cancelled, since it is our granddaughters graduation gift.:(

I'll be watching it leave Bermuda this morning on the webcam.

Please come back with an update, if you hear anything. Thanks.

As soon as I get any updates I will post.

I'm watching the Bermuda webcam now. The Norwegian Dawn just left port. Waiting on the Explorer to leave. Here's the link:

Port Bermuda Webcam - Cruise Ship Web Cam at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda

Explorer has left Bermuda @6:00 our time.

Looks like she is under her own power.

Hi Dick,

I should be hearing from Dana soon.

When we were in Bayonne on Saturday for sail away there were two dive company trucks on the pier. :eek: I thought that was a little odd and sure enough shortly after sail away Dana contacted me to tell me about the announcement the captain made.

Say hello to Mari!

We were on the Explorer several years ago when they had a problem with one of the pods. We left port in NJ at 10:30 in the evening on the way north again. They had divers working in the dark, under water, to try to fix it, then had the divers on board the ship and they finished the job in one of the other ports. We still made our first port of Portland an hour early after leaving the home port 6 hrs. late. At least the ports are pretty close together on the northern route. There is a port everyday, once we reach Portland and thru to Halifax. If the ship is slowed in any way, it should not make a big difference between those ports.

Just watched Ex leave - does not seem to have any problems

Being able to get up enough speed to sail normally through the channel out to sea doesn't mean the is no issue to keep the ship from getting up to normal cruising speed. Explorer has three pods.

Explorer has actually done well over the years. I don't remember past propulsion issues but I may have forgotten. Some of the other ships have not been so fortunate.

Edit: I just read the post above mine. I guess Expoler has had a past issue.

Edited by Ocean Boy

When we were in Bayonne on Saturday for sail away there were two dive company trucks on the pier. :eek: I thought that was a little odd and sure enough shortly after sail away Dana contacted me to tell me about the announcement the captain made.

More than likely the dive trucks were there to do some work for the new terminal.