Cog Railway excursion on Canada/New England cruise

PreciousNate

We are interested in doing the Cog Railway tour to Mount Washington, NH. There will be 7 of us going so the cost would be $1176.00 and if we rented a car in Portland, Maine, we would be saving about $650.00 but I am concerned that time wise, we might be cutting it close. I am familiar with driving in Portland (daughter went to school in Boston so been to Portland many times) and would have no problem driving there but time wise, how long would it take to get from Portland to Bretton Woods to catch the train? I've been to Mt. Washington before when staying in New Hampshire and I am thinking that this is a one lane road up and down/

Anyone's help and advise would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

According to Google Maps, it's at least 2 hours from Portland to Bretton Woods. That's 4 hours plus, just for the drive there and back, on a good day. There is no highway, all back roads, so if there's traffic (leaf-peepers), you could easily add another hour or more. Just getting through Conway and North Conway could add that much.

Then you have the length of time for the actual ride on the railway and time to enjoy the summit.

I wouldn't chance it!

I wouldn't be comfortable doing it on my own with a rental car either. It is at least two hours each way plus time for picking up and returning the rental car. The North Conway/Bretton Woods area is a very busy tourist area so there could be traffic delays.

Have you checked the website for the train? It looks like the train ride is three hours and you must get to the station at least 30 minutes (forget exact amount of time) before boarding train.

There are some good options in the Portland, Maine area.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We enjoyed our Canada/New England cruise and our day in Portland.

No way would I try that. The traffic through North Conway can be paralyzingly slow and you've really got to go through it twice. As others have said it's undivided two lane roads. Mid September isn't really foliage season on the coast but it will be around Mt. Washington. If you really want to go, pony up for the ship's tour to get the protection for getting back to the ship. It definitely COULD work but I wouldn't tempt date.

sept 13 is post season. The only concern i would have would be getting the car and dropping it off, as that depends on 7 people working together in harmony and getting the car quick (sometimes has taken me an hour, but Im not gold member anywhere...

Also since you are renting a car...why not drive up mt w? Its insanely fun, and you wont be at the mercy of the train schedule (its half the price too).

I've done the Cog railway because we were at Mount Washington for a family reunion. It isn't especially fun or exciting. It's a beat up old train with hard wooden seats that spews black, choking smoke as it sputters up a steep incline towards the top of a mountain. A complete waste of time.

But to drive there and back in one day and spend $500 or $1,000 or more to clank up a hill in an ossified relic I'd say you have completely lost your mind.

Don't do it. You'll thank me.

I notice you're in Western Massachusetts. You can do the Cog at your leisure anytime. Why would you try to cram a round trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire during your 10 hour layover in Portland, Maine? Portland is a fantastic town with a ton of cool sites, attractions, bars and restaurants. If you really must be on the move hitch a ride on one of the Casco Bay Ferries. You can go to Peaks Island and rent golf carts for $50 for the day. Grab a great lunch at the Inn on Peaks and cruise around the island stopping wherever you please. Lots of little beaches and coves to explore. You'll save all the stress and hundreds of dollars. Or grab the bailey Island ferry if it's still in season (and a flask) and go have lunch at Cook's Lobster House. Casco Bay scenery both ways is free.

My bad. I have a warm spot in my heart for NE Pennsylvania as I went to college in scenic Easton, PA (home of Larry Holmes!).

Honestly, September is so beautiful in Portland. You've got 10 hours in port. I implore you not spend 4 or 5 hours racing in a car back and forth to New Hampshire.

If you tell me a little bit about your group and what you like to do I will plot out an awesome half or full day in and around Portland for you -- with or without rental car. Lobster rolls? Light houses? Scenic overlooks? Picnics? Working waterfront? Margaritas and lobster tacos? Children's museum? Playgrounds? Beach time? Caviar importer? Brewery tour? Water Park? Art? Chowder? Shopping? Brow shaping and Makeup? Massage? Doing shots with lobstermen? Whatever you want?

I play in a 45+ baseball league and that Saturday is the Championship Game at Hadlock Field (where the Red Sox' Double A affiliate plays). If we crap out and I'm not playing that day I'll even meet you at the dock and help get you organized and pointed in the right direction.

But for the love of Pete......don't blow the day trying to catch the Cog. It is anticlimactic a stone's throw from your condo. An all day drive....fuhgedaboutit. The only reason to go to New Hampshire is to save $5 on the big Tanqueray or Jameson at the State Liquor Store (tax free). And you've got better deals than that on board in duty free.

I love Portland. And I'm happy to hook you up with some local knowledge. No charge, my friend. Like I said, I've got a warm spot in my heart for Pennsylvania.

Edited by Seabourn Pearls

Actually the only reason that we were looking into the cog railroad is the fact that I have been to Portland, Freeport, Kennebunkport, Kittery, Rockland tons of times since my daughter went to Pharmacy school in Boston. We headed up to Maine many times over the last 6 years so we do have soft spots for many things in your great state.

You forgot to mention that Easton is also home to the Crayola factory!

We did the Cog railway last summer from a short vacation in northern New Hampshire and loved it. The train doesn't really belch that much smoke, the seats are more comfortable than previously discussed, and the view from atop Mount Washington is spectacular (unless there is fog, which is common). There's a new museum up top as well that is worth checking out.

The engine is downhill of the passenger car. It pushes up and breaks on the way down. It's Mt. Washington so the wind is always whipping around in unpredictable ways. The smoke can blow away harmlessly -- or it can be ghastly, blowing right on top of and into the car. Here's a picture from the official cog site. Good times.

http://www.thecog.com/images/gallery/full_head_of_steam.jpg

We did the Cog railway last summer from a short vacation in northern New Hampshire and loved it. The train doesn't really belch that much smoke, the seats are more comfortable than previously discussed, and the view from atop Mount Washington is spectacular (unless there is fog, which is common). There's a new museum up top as well that is worth checking out.

If you had friends in town would you drive to Mt. Washington in the morning, ride the Cog, and race home in the afternoon in time for dinner?

Actually the only reason that we were looking into the cog railroad is the fact that I have been to Portland, Freeport, Kennebunkport, Kittery, Rockland tons of times since my daughter went to Pharmacy school in Boston. We headed up to Maine many times over the last 6 years so we do have soft spots for many things in your great state.

You forgot to mention that Easton is also home to the Crayola factory!

Have you been to Fort Popham? Five Islands Lobster? Reid State Park? Wolfe Neck Woods? Peaks Island? Joshua Chamberlain Museum? Bradbury Mountain? Giant Staircase? Mackerel Cove? Scarborough Marsh? Scratch Bakery? Cold River Vodka? Willard Beach?

Again, tell me about your group...ages, activity levels, interests and anything else pertinent and I will guarantee that I can give you a great day in and around Portland that is fresh, interesting, entertaining and will save you hundreds of dollars.

Where would we be as parents without Crayola Crayons -- and why are they so much better than the crappy crayons from China we get at restaurants?

The engine is downhill of the passenger car. It pushes up and breaks on the way down. It's Mt. Washington so the wind is always whipping around in unpredictable ways. The smoke can blow away harmlessly -- or it can be ghastly, blowing right on top of and into the car. Here's a picture from the official cog site. Good times.

http://www.thecog.com/images/gallery/full_head_of_steam.jpg

The first train of the day (most days) is the old steam train with the black smoke. The rest of the runs are on much cleaner biodiesel trains.

If you had friends in town would you drive to Mt. Washington in the morning, ride the Cog, and race home in the afternoon in time for dinner?

I don't understand the question. We were in the area for a weekend, and this was our activity for one day. Next time we'll probably do the Conway Scenic Railroad.

The question is based upon the OPs schedule. He's in Portland from 8am-6pm on a Saturday. He has to drive to NH, ride the train and get back before final boarding.

So, what I'm asking is this: did you find the Cog so enjoyable that, if you had friends in town for just one day (like the OP), you would travel a minimum of 4 hours by car in order to share the experience? Do you regard the Cog Railway trip worth the schlep if you had to go there and back it in just one day?

I've done the COG (as a day trip to NH). Once was enough for me.

I think I missed that the cruise line does an excursion from Portland to the Cog. I can't believe it. It would have to be the first one to leave as soon as it docks to make it back and forth. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend that much time on a bus to go to the top of Mt. Washington.

The question is based upon the OPs schedule. He's in Portland from 8am-6pm on a Saturday. He has to drive to NH, ride the train and get back before final boarding.

So, what I'm asking is this: did you find the Cog so enjoyable that, if you had friends in town for just one day (like the OP), you would travel a minimum of 4 hours by car in order to share the experience? Do you regard the Cog Railway trip worth the schlep if you had to go there and back it in just one day?

I found it enjoyable enough that we decided to do that from our base about an hour north. If someone is really into training and/or wants a cool way to go to the top of the highest point in New England I'd strongly encourage them to take this trip. If they prefer more nautical outings, then there are dozens of shoreside alternatives.

• 3 weeks later...

No matter how you get there you have to figure at least 3 hours each way. I live in North Conway and the traffic during foliage season is awful! The railroad station is on the western side of Mt. Washington so that adds time from wherever you start. The actual time up and back with about 30 minutes at the top is another just a little under 3 hours. In October the famous Fryeburg Fair is also in full swing which adds another hour or two. Come up here and see us another time when you have time to appreciate the beautiful scenery.

• 2 weeks later...
We are interested in doing the Cog Railway tour to Mount Washington, NH. There will be 7 of us going so the cost would be $1176.00 and if we rented a car in Portland, Maine, we would be saving about $650.00 but I am concerned that time wise, we might be cutting it close. I am familiar with driving in Portland (daughter went to school in Boston so been to Portland many times) and would have no problem driving there but time wise, how long would it take to get from Portland to Bretton Woods to catch the train? I've been to Mt. Washington before when staying in New Hampshire and I am thinking that this is a one lane road up and down/

Anyone's help and advise would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I don't think I would take the chance and miss the ship. It is not exactly post season as one poster suggested, it's the beginning of leaf peeping and traffic could be unbearable.