First time Oceania cruisers - any hints?

eroller

I've got 112 cruises under my belt on everything from Carnival to Silversea ... but finally getting around to trying out Oceania. Sailing on the RIVIERA in a couple months.

Any hints or suggestions from seasoned Oceania cruisers that will enhance the experience? We are booked in PH1 which looks like a nice category, but my only concern is that it's right under the pool deck which I usually avoid. Past experience has meant early morning noise as the chairs are moved and decks washed. Perhaps someone has experience with these cabins?

I have to say the recent reviews of RIVIERA I've been reading are not very reassuring, but I also realize how subjective the cruise experience is. I always make my own determinations and try not to let the reviews influence me too much.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by eroller

I pretty much ignore the reviews, try a new cruise line out and decide for myself. I do feel the recent reviews are an anomaly, while likely correct, are based on severe, out of the norm circumstances.

Edited by hondorner

I've got 112 cruises under my belt on everything from Carnival to Silversea ... but finally getting around to trying out Oceania. Sailing on the RIVIERA in a couple months.

Any hints or suggestions from seasoned Oceania cruisers that will enhance the experience? We are booked in PH1 which looks like a nice category, but my only concern is that it's right under the pool deck which I usually avoid. Past experience has meant early morning noise as the chairs are moved and decks washed. Perhaps someone has experience with these cabins?

I have to say the recent reviews of RIVIERA I've been reading are not very reassuring, but I also realize how subjective the cruise experience is. I always make my own determinations and try not to let the reviews influence me too much.

Thanks in advance.

My last trip on the Riviera was a B2B where I was in 11023 for half the trip and we never heard a sound from above. I will admit however that we tend to sleep very soundly, if you do not, you may feel better about shifting into one of the forward PH2's on Deck 11 which are under the Oceania Suites, or down to Deck 10.

Another Deck 11 "situation" involves the overhang of Deck 12 (the pool deck) which casts a shadow on Deck 11 verandas and can interfere with photography from the veranda.

b_102721.jpg

Happier suggestions include the Baby Lamb Chops at breakfast (you must try them!), and the chocolate layer cake on the Room Service menu!

As a guest in a Suite, you will also want to take advantage of the Canyon Ranch Spa Terrace :D

b_121030.jpg

It overlooks the bow, so it is wonderful for entering or leaving ports!

Edited by StanandJim

My last trip on the Riviera was a B2B where I was in 11023 for half the trip and we never heard a sound from above. I will admit however that we tend to sleep very soundly, if you do not, you may feel better about shifting into one of the forward PH2's on Deck 11 which are under the Oceania Suites, or down to Deck 10.

Another Deck 11 "situation" involves the overhang of Deck 12 (the pool deck) which casts a shadow on Deck 11 verandas and can interfere with photography from the veranda.

Happier suggestions include the Baby Lamb Chops at breakfast (you must try them!), and the chocolate layer cake on the Room Service menu!

As a guest in a Suite, you will also want to take advantage of the Canyon Ranch Spa Terrace :D

It overlooks the bow, so it is wonderful for entering or leaving ports!

Thanks so much! Great info and pics. Very beautiful. I did know about the overhang which I would prefer not to have, but it will be fine. PH1 was our only category choice, otherwise I would have gone down a deck. None of the more forward suites were available so we are right across from the Executive Lounge. We are on the port side, so not sure what side the entrance to the Executive Lounge is on, or maybe there is an entrance on both sides? Glad to hear there isn't too much noise from above. I would be much more concerned on a mass-market ship.

Can't wait to try out all the food. I've sailed on other upscale lines like Azamara, Silversea, Windstar, and the Grills on Cunard so it will be interesting to see how it all compares. I'm very impressed with the restaurant choices and I've read Oceania spends more per pax on food than any other line.

The Spa Terrace looks fantastic! Do you also have use of what many ships call a thermal suite area? It's usually steam & sauna and heated tile chairs. Sometimes a thermal pool as well.

Thanks again!

I pretty much ignore the reviews, try a new cruise line out and decide for myself. I do feel the recent reviews are an anomaly, while likely correct, are based on severe, out of the norm circumstances.

Yes I take all reviews with a grain of salt, especially those that all negative or 100% positive. Usually the reality is somewhere in the middle, at least for me. They do offer some insight though, and if the same issues are occurring within multiple reviews it might indicate a problem that needs addressing.

The Spa Terrace looks fantastic! Do you also have use of what many ships call a thermal suite area? It's usually steam & sauna and heated tile chairs. Sometimes a thermal pool as well.

Yes, Yes and Yes. The Thermal pool is on the Spa deck, while the Steam, Sauna and tile chairs are within the spa itself, all gratis.

b_153010.jpg

Yes, Yes and Yes. The Thermal pool is on the Spa deck, while the Steam, Sauna and tile chairs are within the spa itself, all gratis.

Wonderful and thank you for the graphics as well! It looks like a wonderful facility. Last question and more for future reference if I sail on Oceania again. I know the Spa Terrace is available to suite guests and the Thermal Suite & pool as well. How about the rest of the passengers? Do they have access to the Thermal Suite but perhaps not the Spa Terrace for free? Or perhaps they have to pay to use it all? The reason I ask is because the suite amenities listed in the brochure mention the Spa Terrace access but nothing about the sauna/steam, so I figured perhaps that area was available to everyone for free, or that everyone had to pay. One or the other?

The spa deck & T- pool is free for Concierge cabins & above

The heated tile beds are open to all

It's a very generous policy. On QM2 which is also Canyon Ranch, everyone has to pay for use of the Thermal Suite (including steam/sauna) even when you're in the Grills. Celebrity also uses Canyon Ranch (fairly recently) and if you're in a suite or Aqua Class you can use the Thermal Suite at no charge.

I like the idea of the Spa Terrace. Azamara had this as of course they use R-Class ships like Oceania does.

Don't forget about in-suite dining from any specialty restaurant - if you wish to do so

Wow my biggest concern is that I won't have enough time to enjoy all the amazing cuisine options! I've already reserved each of the four specialty dining venues but everything sounds so delectable!

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if Oceania still mails out paper docs and baggage tags, or is everything electronic? I have to admit I'm a lover of old fashioned paper documents. So few cruise lines do it these days and it's a really nice touch. It's all about attention to detail.

I've filled everything out on the website and I'm paid in full. Sailing in mid-March. When can I expect anything?

Just curious if Oceania still mails out paper docs and baggage tags, or is everything electronic? I have to admit I'm a lover of old fashioned paper documents. So few cruise lines do it these days and it's a really nice touch. It's all about attention to detail.

I've filled everything out on the website and I'm paid in full. Sailing in mid-March. When can I expect anything?

They send out a booklet called Cruise vacation Guide it has your names on the front & gives the location of your cabin & other information

Plus lists all the excursions available

The bag tags are in the back

Some TA's will get them & then pass onto their clients

My TA has them sent direct to us ...got mine today YIPPEE :D

At about eight weeks before sailing, they send out a gorgeous Brochure, customized with your cruise particulars, which is one of the very nicest which we have ever seen. Specialty Restaurant Reservations which you have made will be noted in it, as are any Shore Excursions which you've booked. You will be thrilled.

Luggage tags, which now resemble a segment of a roll of self stick tape, arrive with the brochure.

Specialty Restaurant Reservations which you have made will be noted in it,

Only if you can book the reservations before the booklet is printed

About 3 weeks prior you should get an email from oceania TA with Final cruise summary where everything you have booked will be noted

Just a note the booklet may look like another brochure so do not toss it in recycle before looking at it closely ;)

Edited by LHT28

They send out a booklet called Cruise vacation Guide it has your names on the front & gives the location of your cabin & other information

Plus lists all the excursions available

The bag tags are in the back

Some TA's will get them & then pass onto their clients

My TA has them sent direct to us ...got mine today YIPPEE :D

That is awesome! My agent is in Canada and I'm in South Florida, so hopefully that doesn't derail it.

At about eight weeks before sailing, they send out a gorgeous Brochure, customized with your cruise particulars, which is one of the very nicest which we have ever seen. Specialty Restaurant Reservations which you have made will be noted in it, as are any Shore Excursions which you've booked. You will be thrilled.

Luggage tags, which now resemble a segment of a roll of self stick tape, arrive with the brochure.

Thank you! Can't wait to receive it. I actually save these types of things and have tickets from cruises all the way back to the late 70's when I was a kid.

Only if you can book the reservations before the booklet is printed

About 3 weeks prior you should get an email from oceania TA with Final cruise summary where everything you have booked will be noted

Just a note the booklet may look like another brochure so do not toss it in recycle before looking at it closely ;)

I've already booked all the specialty restaurants along with a cooking class and shore excursion, so hopefully they will all be included.

The Oceania brochures are some of the most beautiful in the cruise industry, so if this booklet is anything like them what a nice treat!