Post Cruise Port of Miami Car Rental?

dwnlowbro

Hello, I would like to rent a car just for the day after my cruise ends on 1.2.17. I would need to return the car to FLL late that evening. Does anyone know the specific name and location of a rental car agency that has a free shuttle to their pick-up location. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I would like to rent a car just for the day after my cruise ends on 1.2.17. I would need to return the car to FLL late that evening. Does anyone know the specific name and location of a rental car agency that has a free shuttle to their pick-up location. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I always use Alamo. Pick up the shuttle at the port to MIA and return the rental at FLL. Just be aware that there are cashless toll roads on the way! There is usually a Sunpass in the car, but the rental agencies gouge you with additional fees to use theirs! I've learned how to go without hitting a toll road but I honestly can't tell you as I go by landmarks - or visual cues if you will! A couple cruises ago I picked up a portable Sunpass at Publix and carry it with me just in case.

Someone from that area will be able to give you more clear information. I'm really good with directions....but only in the north!! :eek:

National, Alamo and Thrifty offer a free shuttle to their MIA airport location - show the driver your reservation papers to board the shuttle. If you get a deal from another provider a taxi to MIA from POM is $27

Hertz & Avis have downtown locations that sometimes offer free shuttles (mixed reports on this board); if not a taxi will be about $12. The downtown locations sometimes get overwhelmed with cruisers - some complaints of LONG waits. :(

There are quite a few rental locations right in downtown and if they don't offer a shuttle, you can grab an uber from the port for $5.

Alamo has a desk in the Intercontinental. Budget, Avis, Hertz and Sixt are right there. Enterprise has a desk in the Hyatt.

There are times when the lines can be longer. Last time my son rented at Hertz, we did wait a bit and noticed many cruisers but I have waited longer at airports so it wasn't bad.

National, Alamo and Thrifty offer a free shuttle to their MIA airport location - show the driver your reservation papers to board the shuttle. If you get a deal from another provider a taxi to MIA from POM is $27

Hertz & Avis have downtown locations that sometimes offer free shuttles (mixed reports on this board); if not a taxi will be about $12. The downtown locations sometimes get overwhelmed with cruisers - some complaints of LONG waits. :(

Are the shuttles just parked outside the cruise terminal or do you have to call them?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am asking if you can rent a car at POM & drop it off the next day at MIA. Possible? If so what companies?

National, Alamo, thrifty and Enterprise will shuttle you from POM to MIA, where you can rent and return the car. If you get a better deal from someone else the cab fare from POM to MIA is $27+tip and Uber will be closer to $16 or so.

Avis, Hertz and others have offices in downtown Miami - close to POM, maybe a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle - and then you can drop the car at MIA.