Belize City Port Question

ScottC4746

We are going to have a port call at Belize City mid-week in December on RCCL. My travel agent said not to venture on our own but to get a shore excursion. I saw the list of excursions and nothing jumped out at us. I am sure when we dock there will be tons of cabs from safe approved cabs to unsafe unsavory unapproved cabs. Approved vs unapproved I mean government regulated. Any suggestions on taking a cab into town for lunch and back to the ship?

All taxis have green license plates in Belize. They have Taxi Unions, only members are allowed to wait or pick up at certain locations. Out in the streets it is all fair game.

As you exit the cruise port there will be lots of taxis. Be sure to tell him what you want to do and firm up the price in U.S or BZ.

If all you want to do is to "go into town" (where the port is anyway) to have lunch and you don't want to eat at the Wet Lizard on the tender pier, you don't need to catch a taxi for several places.

Neri's and Annie's Lunchbox are just a couple of blocks up Fort/Front Street. Both great inexpensive local Belizean cuisine spots. Bird's Isle is just around the corner to you left after you cross the swing bridge. Tourist oriented but reasonable with a nice patio looking out at the small boats and the tender pier across the way. Head right out of the cruise port and you're a block away from the Smokey Mermaid. I think there's a couple of places along Fort Street before the swing bridge or between the tender pier and the water taxi station too.

If, however, you want to see a bit of the city and you do want to have a very good local seafood lunch at a spot overlooking the ocean, tell the taxi driver you want to go to Admiral's Bay. It's on Seashore Drive near Buttonwood Park where the colorful Belize sign is. 10 minute taxi tops. You can google and find reviews and directions on TA.

• 5 weeks later...

If, however, you want to see a bit of the city and you do want to have a very good local seafood lunch at a spot overlooking the ocean, tell the taxi driver you want to go to Admiral's Bay. It's on Seashore Drive near Buttonwood Park where the colorful Belize sign is. 10 minute taxi tops. You can google and find reviews and directions on TA.

Is it safe to venture out of the port? I really want a picture with the belize sign. This is our 3rd visit and decided to not do an excursion this time. We're tired of the 3 hour round trip bus rides.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Belize twice, once with an excursion and once just stayed in port. Heading back in April. We took pictures with the Belize sign both times but just like any other place, travel with a group, be cautious of your surroundings and you will be fine.

After my last trip this past September, I found this article

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/09/articles/crime/carnival-passenger-robbed-at-port-in-belize/

We were there a few days later and when we went out of the port to take a picture, they did have a cop out there, but no gun. He told us it is fine to walk. There is actually a third Belize sign that we went to (1 in the port, 2 just outside the port, 3 a block or two after the second). The wives felt uneasy so we headed back, but no one was out and about, just taxi's passing by. You are a foreigner in their country, just be careful.

If what you want to do is have lunch at a place with a nice water view, The Wet Lizard is within the secured port complex and would meet your needs.

Fun place to hang-out and chat with others as well! :D

Edited by OCruisers

Outside the gates of the port, the city is nothing but industrial, businesses, and homes. It is not a tourist city. Tourist areas are ALL out on the islands or small towns inland near the Mayan ruins. It isn't like going to most ports where there is something to see or do in walking distance.

Port area has several restaurants, shopping, and not much else. If you really want to see Belize.... which I think is a beautiful country... then take an excursion, either to Mayan ruins with a lunch at a local restaurant, or to one of the outer islands beach/snorkel. Just my opinion. I love Belize.

• 3 weeks later...

We walked downtown and never felt ill at ease. Stopped for a beer in two separate small bars and enjoyed talking with the locals. Also had pineapple from one of the stands outside the port. No problem for us but some might find it intimidating. Going next month and will do the same. We have been many times to Belize so just enjoy hanging out both outside the port and inside also. The people are wonderful!