Wen

kayehall

I've been using WEN for about 4 yrs. I have thick, wavy hair and this is the best stuff I've used. Occasionally, I try using shampoo and conditioner and these don't work as well as WEN. My hair is more manageable and soft. My hair stays better between shampoos. I only do one cleansing and this seems to work for me.

Wen is based on the Co-washing method (conditioner only washing method). You can get the same results by using a basic silicone-free conditioner. You need silicone free because they (silicones) can cause buildup on the hair (making it look gunky and tangly eventually) depending on which kind it is. There are some water-soluble silicones, which can be removed by conditioner only washing, but most aren't. Personally I use Suave Naturals, super cheap, and silicone free. When you CO-wash you wash differently than shampoo since the surfectants in conditioners are much much milder than the detergents in shampoo. You have to put a LOT of conditioner in, (I have super thin hair and I use two palmfuls of conditioner) and you need to actually scrub your scalp and hair thoroughly, instead of just sloshing shampoo around. I usually scrub twice, and rinse in between. I've done this method for a whole year before, hair was clean, but it does feel slightly different since it isn't stripped completely (aka more moisturized, and shinier). While you can do this method for a long time, you might need to use a sulfate shampoo occasionally to clarify, in case you use styling products. The one downfall of this method is that the conditioner doesn't have strong enough surfectants to remove these extra styling products, I don't use them on a normal basis, so I didn't have that problem. The only reason I quit this method was because I got lazy and liked the convenience of shampoos saving a few minutes in the shower. TBH, don't waste your money on an expensive "cleansing" conditioner, regular conditioner is the exact same thing.

I've been using Wen for about 3 years now. I really like the job it does and especially like to take it on vacation since it saves time in the shower and space in my toiletry bag not having to bring conditioner. The travel packets are very convenient as well. I can get 3 uses from each packet, but only take them on longer trips when I'll be in one place for more than 2-3 nights since they'd leak in my luggage once opened.

At home, I tend to use it during the week and then switch off to less expensive shampoos and conditioners during the weekends since it's so darned expensive. My favorite year-round scent is the Sweet Almond Mint, but I like to treat myself from time to time to some of the seasonal scents offered. Last fall's Tuscan Pear smelled great and I just ordered the Gardenia Green Tea and Honey Lilac for the spring. This is the second year they're offering the Gardenia scent. It's my all-time favorite, so I'm splurging on a few bottles this time around.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

KK

I have been using Wen for over 3 years and love it. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It is also hi-lighted. My hair is softer, shinier, and more manageable than with shampoo and conditioner. I have switched from having the hi-lites done every two months to every three months because the color does not fade. It took a few tries to find which flavor worked for me. The pomegranate and sweet almond did not, even though they are billed as universal, for all hair types. The bamboo/green tea and the tea tree are the best for me. My hair dresser raves about the condition of my hair since I have been using Wen. There is a bit of a learning curve to determine how much cleanser to use. At first I had issues with my hair feeling greasy and heavy, so I used less and DID NOT use any as a leave in conditioner which, at the time, was recommended. I spent a little more time rinsing very thoroughly. Problem solved. Wen is one of those products people either love or hate.

The bamboo/green tea and the tea tree are the best for me. My hair dresser raves about the condition of my hair since I have been using Wen. There is a bit of a learning curve to determine how much cleanser to use. At first I had issues with my hair feeling greasy and heavy, so I used less and DID NOT use any as a leave in conditioner which, at the time, was recommended. I spent a little more time rinsing very thoroughly. Problem solved. Wen is one of those products people either love or hate.

I like the bamboo green tea variety as well. It works well for me and has a really nice scent.

When I first bought Wen, I got a sampler of the 5 year-round varieties to decide which I liked best. They all worked equally well on my hair, but I disliked all of the scents except for the sweet almond mint.

Since my hair is naturally oily, I've never used it as a leave-in conditioner. And it's never left my hair greasy-feeling when used as directed otherwise.

KK

• 2 weeks later...

It was a TSV on QVC back on the 21st. I ordered it, Mandarin Italian Fig. It is supposed to be delivered today.

I have always been intrigued by WEN, but also a little skeptical. My hair is very fine, and I fear that it will weigh my hair down. I guess I will find out soon enough!!!!

I feel really bad for the people who've had these problems with Wen. It's got to be awful to lose large amounts of hair from a hair cleansing product! But I can tell you from my own personal experience in using Wen for about 3 years now, I find that it's actually reduced my hair loss. My hair is thicker than it's ever been, and I think that's due to the good conditioning it's getting from the product. I find I lose much less hair on weekdays using Wen than I do on the weekends when I rotate between the store-bought and salon shampoos & conditioners I try out on a whim. The comb goes through my hair so much easier afterward and I don't get clumps of lost hair.

Believe me, considering Wen's high cost, I'd jump at any excuse of poor performance to stop using it. But for me at least, I've found it's worth the price. I love how my hair looks and feels now. And when traveling (of which I do a lot), you can't beat its convenience.

KK

non sulfate the way to go. i have very thick and dry long hair. this is gross but i can go a week plus and not wash and no one can tell at all. in fact it gets better looking. i just do a lot of brushing and that helps. but i think part of the reason is the sulfate free shampoos and conditioners. use loreal brand. i also have used wen with good results but mail order just doesent work for me.

• 3 months later...

There is a learning curve and the first time you use it, you will feel that it's greasy and goopy. I have very thick hair and I don't really "need" the Wen. my mom has fine, thinning hair and it works wonder for her. It is gentle on the hair and her hair is much softer, less brittle, less dried out with Wen. We both wash our hair only once or twice a week...more only if we worked out that day. I think it's only marginally better for my hair, since it's very thick (for now at least) but for mom it's really great and definitely worth the expense. You do need to experiment with how much to use.

We buy from QVC. Some scents are way too heavy...fig was too heavy. Sweet almond mint, tea tree are lighter. (I haven't tried the pomegranate and fig so that one might be great.)

Edited by misha227