Locked bathroom door in my cabin

LucyR.

I was cruising SOLO on the Ruby Princess and I always lock my bathroom door when I take a shower because I saw the movie "PSYCHO" many years ago. It is not necessary to lock my bathroom door because the cabin door is locked.

I took a shower at 3 p.m. and had locked the bathroom door. When I finished I wasn't able to unlock the door because it was kind of loose and would not open. I screamed for help and I banged the door with the metal trash can. But no one could hear me because my cabin was located way in the front of the ship and no body was around to hear me scream for help. My cabin neighbors were not around either.

There is NO Phone in the bathroom since it was not a hadicapped cabin.

I didn't have any tools to un-screw the screws. Plus, I had put the sign on my door to not disturb by my cabin steward. So I knew I was in trouble.

I kept trying and trying to unlock the bath room door until all of a sudden it did opened up.

I told my cabin steward about the problem. But when he checked it he said it was okay. I do know that there was something wrong with the lock because it would turn all around when I would try to open it myself when I was locked up. I had tried to open it in many different ways. So it is strange how it would not open for me until all of a sudden it opened up. It is a mystery for me. After my bad experience I decided to never lock the bathroom door again. I put some duck tape on the bathroom lock so I would NOT lock myself in the bathroom again by mistake.

What I have learned is to never lock my bathroom door on any cruise ship when I am cruising SOLO. I also learned to NEVER book a cabin that is too isolated where people can't hear me scream for help. I was on Emerald deck E226. Maybe the cabin is haunted. lol.

I plan to book a cabin near where lots of people have to walk by to get to their cabins. They will be able to hear me SCREAM for HELP.

I'll be traveling solo in November, so this is a great tip.

This happened to me shortly after I'd moved into my house 9 years ago. I stripped and went into the bathroom to take a shower, and the lock was broken. I live alone, and wasn't expecting any visitors for three days. I didn't have my phone with me, and obviously no clothes or shoes. Luckily the outside of the house was being painted at the time, so after wrapping myself in the shower curtain, I banged on the window (which was covered with paper on the outside- its too small and high for me to have gone out of, by the way). The painter was able to break a lock on my door and came inside and removed the doorknob. It's funny now, but I've never been so terrified in my life as those 40 minutes or so I was trapped in the bathroom. Nearly a decade later and I still carry my phone around with me in the house and never, ever close the bathroom door all the way.

I was on the Ocean Princess (only held 690 passengers).

I went up to one of the top decks to see the Library. I went to the single bathroom on that deck. I could not get out. After trying the handle many times, started to bang on the door and yelled for help. I knew very few passengers went up to that deck, I started to panic. I decided to pull the emergency bell, it seemed like a long time before someone came. He opened the door, I explained what happened and he walked away without evan looking at the inside handle, I hope it does not happen to someone else.