Are scooters and bicycles safe in Key West?

Beachdude

To save from the parking hassle, we are thinking of renting a scooter or bicycles. Are they safe to ride in Key West?

Are they easier to find parking? Any local protocols we should know for bikes and scooters?

Thanks

Burt

I love Key West, been going there for nearly 50 years--and have ridden bicycles there--but it now has a LOT of tourists. They drive cars looking at the scenery. They sometimes drive cars while inebriated looking at the scenery. There are also feral chickens wandering around the streets. The main tourist area where you're going to be is really very small. Frankly, I'd rather walk, take the tour trams, or have a steel automobile surrounding me if I'm rear-ended by someone not paying attention to traffic. I suggest you take a look around when you get off the ship and see if you're comfortable with your plan. Is what you want to do safe? Well, everything is safe until it isn't.

Edited by Langoustine

If you go with bicycles, it is legal (and encouraged) to ride them on the sidewalks. You'll be ok riding them on the street around Duval St and the neighborhoods with little traffic, but you should use the sidewalks elsewhere.

Greetings

Also be sure that you know how to ride a bike or scooter. The roads and sidewalks can be busy, you need to be able to control your bike/scooter. I have seem far too many tourist who think just because they rode bikes when they were kids that they are competent bike riders as adults. Add a few adult beverages into the mix and some can barely keep balanced.

Good Sailing

Tom

I can tell you as a local that scooters are NOT safe in Key West. There are accidents all the time and people are hurt, sometimes seriously. Also, check your auto insurance. Most policies will not cover you on a rental scooter. Bikes are much safer if you are careful and avoid the busy streets without bike lanes such as Truman, Eaton and Simonton. Walking is the safest of all.

Also, be aware that riding a scooter or bike while drunk is illegal. You can get a DUI which will make for a very expensive day, and likely cause you to miss your departure.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister lived in Key West for 31 years and always rode a scooter. She was in several accidents during those years because so many people are driving while distracted or drunk or both. I have seen people on bikes, scooters, and even dogs get hit by cars because the driver is looking everywhere but the street in front of him. You'll be a lot safer is you walk everywhere.