Why Do Cruise Lines Do This?

kitty9

I just got home after getting pictures taken for my passport renewal, and I picked up a bunch of brochures for different cruise lines. I was just curious as to the amount and location of accessible cabins. The one common element I found was, so many of the cabins are right smack dab in the front of the ship, the farthest away from elevators and all the rest. Plus, everyone knows that the far forward cabins can be the roughest, even in relatively calm seas. Knowing that a vast majority of those booking those cabins will have mobility issues, it doesn't take an IQ of 200 to realize that accessible cabins in that location is pretty silly.

So, my question is, why do they do that?

I just got home after getting pictures taken for my passport renewal, and I picked up a bunch of brochures for different cruise lines. I was just curious as to the amount and location of accessible cabins. The one common element I found was, so many of the cabins are right smack dab in the front of the ship, the farthest away from elevators and all the rest. Plus, everyone knows that the far forward cabins can be the roughest, even in relatively calm seas. Knowing that a vast majority of those booking those cabins will have mobility issues, it doesn't take an IQ of 200 to realize that accessible cabins in that location is pretty silly.

Because those are the least desireable cabins for even able-bodied folks, and generally went unsold and unused. By modifying them and opening them to disabled folks, they make money on cabins otherwise unsold.

I wonder though about your analyisis? Every ship that I've been on -- and in an handicap accessible cabin or I wouldn't be there -- has had cabins near the elevators, and on my last cruise on Hurtigruten, on the main floor where all the main activity was held, so not inconvenient at all.

Darcie, you are correct that this is often the case on newer ships. Bigger ships with MUCH longer walks.

My husband can no longer use a bath tub. All he needs to make a ship's bedroom and bath work for him is a shower.

Likewise in hotels.

On land we have found that Holiday Inn Express and other express type hotels are often 100% showers in all rooms. Yippie!

It is sad that in order to cruise we either have to get a suite that has both a bath and a shower or take up an HC room from someone who needs it for more than one reason. The alternative is getting one of the least expensive inside rooms that nearly always have only a shower.

The last time we sailed on a Crystal ship, he could not get into the bath tub. A real awakening for us.

Because those are the least desireable cabins for even able-bodied folks, and generally went unsold and unused. By modifying them and opening them to disabled folks, they make money on cabins otherwise unsold.

I wonder though about your analyisis? Every ship that I've been on -- and in an handicap accessible cabin or I wouldn't be there -- has had cabins near the elevators, and on my last cruise on Hurtigruten, on the main floor where all the main activity was held, so not inconvenient at all.

I found this to be the case with a number of ships, including Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Crystal. I'm not saying that all HC cabins are there, but a very high percentage seem to have their HC cabins as the first two at the very front of the ship. I will say that on the newest builds, they seem to have attempted to put the HC cabins in better locations, but there are just a whole lot at the very front. I don't think that many Americans cruise on Hurtigruten, and I've never seen a brochure for them, so I have no idea how their ships are laid out.

Many of those cabins up front are odd shaped, so they were easily modified for HC. I'm sure it was seen as an easy way to get in the quota of HC cabins. I'm not HC, but most of the cabins I sail in do not have a tub...as a single, I can't afford the luxury of a cabin with a tub. EM

Because the people who design these ships are able bodied. They have no clue what handicapped people need nor do they care.

When I was on the Carnival Valor the accessable cabins were in the very front of the ship. Hated it. I was not confined to a chair as now and at that time used a walker. I was exhausted by the time I got to a show or dinner. Also had to leave 30 minutes early as I walked very slowly at that time.

I think we should consider ourselves lucky ships even have these cabins no matter where they are.

Lucky?

No having a reasonal accommodate is not something that people should have to hope for. It is not an option for cruise lines.

If they were smart they would have MORE h/c rooms on cruise ships as they do sell out and have a very loyal bunch of customers.

We no longer have to beg and plead for what we need. We have a right by law to demand it.

Lucky?

No having a reasonal accommodate is not something that people should have to hope for. It is not an option for cruise lines.

If they were smart they would have MORE h/c rooms on cruise ships as they do sell out and have a very loyal bunch of customers.

We no longer have to beg and plead for what we need. We have a right by law to demand it.

No. We do NOT "by law have a right to demand it". All we have the "right" to "demand" is reasonable accommodation. And the cabins they provide fit the letter -- if not the intent -- of the law.

Actually the cruise lines are immune to the ADA 'reasonable accommodation' requirement as they are not American run lines. It's a shame really. It's such a great way to travel and having to book (in our case) 9 months to a year in advance, in order to secure a cabin is really taxing. We are never able to snag a 'last minute' deal. Oh well, I suppose we should feel lucky we're not sent to a small island somewhere to wither away.

Last Fall we went through the Panama Canal on the Celebrity Infinity. We were in the very front of the ship, but LOVED it. Of course I use a scooter when I go out so the distance wasn't so much of an issue. We were in room 6005, which is HUGE (385 sq. ft.). I could even turn it around in the bathroom-carefully. One neat thing was that when we arrived at the canal early in the morning, I looked out the window and directly into the lock we were entering.

We encountered heavy weather (a tropical storm/ almost hurricane) on the way home. The only problem I had was needing to walk very carefully from the bed to the bathroom on my crutches. Part of the reason for that was the fact that the room was so large.

Distance to the elevators would definitely be a problem for others, though.

With all things handicap, you can not please everyone. The Carnival rooms near the front of the ship, is great, since, it is "assumed" that a wheelchair is being used, so distance is not an issue, plus, the rooms are huge. We loved them.

Of course, others want less walking space, etc. It really depends on what each person's needs are, and no room will fit everyone's.

Actually the cruise lines are immune to the ADA 'reasonable accommodation' requirement as they are not American run lines. It's a shame really. It's such a great way to travel and having to book (in our case) 9 months to a year in advance, in order to secure a cabin is really taxing. We are never able to snag a 'last minute' deal. Oh well, I suppose we should feel lucky we're not sent to a small island somewhere to wither away.

Actually, that is NOT true. The US Supreme Court ruled over 8 years ago that the ADA DOES apply to all cruise ships that have US ports of call. So if you disembark or embark in Miami or LA or San Diego or Galveston, etc. it applies to that cruise regardless of the registry of the ship.

Unfortunately, the Access Board, which writes the REGULATIONS that enforce the ADA have still, 6 years after holding their first hearings on the proposed cruise ship regulations, not finalized or published the regulations. Both my father and I gave testimony at the two sets of hearings about the regulations, as did about 40 other individuals in the entire country (vs. many more cruise ship and boat excursion companies who testified against the regulations for the most part). My father has since passed away without seeing the fruits of his labors related to this. Maybe this will happen in my lifetime, but as the years go by, I have my doubts.

I am a lifetime member of the PVA. I am a service connected paralyzed veteran. The PVA initiated the suit against the cruise lines to make them follow the ADA guide lines. We need more advocates like Splinter to get involved because we have a long way to go. Such as a way to verify that the people booking ada rooms really need them. Passengers that are confined to a w/c have to book a year in advance to get an accessible room.

RCCL has gone the extra mile as far as accessibility goes including room location. They are close to the elevators. It is tough rolling a manual wheelchair on those carpeted hallways. If your on the wrong RCCL ship even power chairs have problems getting around the carts. The newest Carnival Ships still havea long way to go. The others are getting better.

If you have an opportunity check out the June PN Magazine. Page 19. You will find a very informative article about the Oasis of the Seas.It was written by a certified accessible travel agent. You can probably gert it on line at PVA.COM or PN magazine.com. If you join the PVA you will get the monthly magazine free. There is a lot that is Veteran specific but it has a lolt of info on spinal chord injuries and MS. as well. They also have info on the latest mobility devices. You don't have to be a veteran to join.

With all things handicap, you can not please everyone. The Carnival rooms near the front of the ship, is great, since, it is "assumed" that a wheelchair is being used, so distance is not an issue, plus, the rooms are huge. We loved them.

Of course, others want less walking space, etc. It really depends on what each person's needs are, and no room will fit everyone's.

Was just recently on Carnival Dream - a 2009 ship. Sure enough, the only 2 handicapped balconies were all the way forward (6208). The room was adequate -- not huge and lacking some storage space and no loveseat. The balcony was a little deeper -- but not deep enough for a scooter and because of the structure of the ship -- brand new -- there was a solid white wall so that if an able-bodied person sat down on the balcony, they could not see the water at all. The next room (non-handicapped) had plexiglass. What were they thinking? But, in the alternative-- happy to have it at all. Vicki:)

Was just recently on Carnival Dream - a 2009 ship. Sure enough, the only 2 handicapped balconies were all the way forward (6208). The room was adequate -- not huge and lacking some storage space and no loveseat. The balcony was a little deeper -- but not deep enough for a scooter and because of the structure of the ship -- brand new -- there was a solid white wall so that if an able-bodied person sat down on the balcony, they could not see the water at all. The next room (non-handicapped) had plexiglass. What were they thinking? But, in the alternative-- happy to have it at all. Vicki:)

For me, the alternative is, cruise lines that pay more attention to wheelchair users such as RCI. I think Carnival is the least accessible cruise line and I doubt I will ever sail with them.

We ALWAYS book a handicap cabin in the aft of the ship. Diamond/Golden/Sapphire Princess. These cabins are lovely. Near elevators and wonderful access to the Horizon Court/Dining Rooms and other lounges.

They are far from the entertainment but the walk or wheel is always welcomed. It gives us a chance to explor the ship and get some exercise!

Because Princess has such large Promenade decks on most occasions we love to take them instead of the inside walkways.

Holland America has the automatic doors to the outside.....so convenient when you're in a wheelchair.

Carnival Splendor was very accessible for us.

I just inquired of CruiseWest...which is an *American* cruise line...about their accessibility, to be told that no, the ships that go to Alaska cannot accommodate a wheelchair, as there are no elevators, lips into the cabins and doorways, and the access to the ship is via steps...

so complaining about ships that *do* accommodate wheelchairs..just not to your exact specifications .. seems...well...we take what we get and keep working for better.

Here's something nobody ever thinks about: people with disabilities that are not related to leg and foot movement.

Every time we hear or read "disabled travelers" or "handicap accessible," we only know about the people who have crutches, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Why does "handicap accessibility" have to be limited to larger cabins with no bathtubs, less furnture, etc.? I want to know what cruise lines do about the deaf and hearing-impaired. I want to know what they are doing for the blind and vision-impaired. I want to know if a deaf or blind person can use a regular cabin or must settle for an accessible one and if cruise lines offer any other type of assistance to those people. Also, what about people who suffer cerebral palsy or arthritis and have problems with their upper bodies, not the legs and feet? There are countless disabilities that nobody talks about when they claim to accommodate for disabled travelers. :mad:

Here's something nobody ever thinks about: people with disabilities that are not related to leg and foot movement.

Every time we hear or read "disabled travelers" or "handicap accessible," we only know about the people who have crutches, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Why does "handicap accessibility" have to be limited to larger cabins with no bathtubs, less furnture, etc.? I want to know what cruise lines do about the deaf and hearing-impaired.most cruise lines have equipment that is portable, that can be taken to any cabin (including the high-end suites, none of which are accessible for someone in a wheelchair or with other mobility problems) and attached, and used by people with hearing impairments. These are a light over the door to indicate there is someone at the door, a phone set up for hearing impairments, closed-captioning on the television, and other things. There is also equipment for hearing impaired people to better hear at shows and in the lecture rooms. I want to know what they are doing for the blind and vision-impaired. I want to know if a deaf or blind person can use a regular cabin Yes, a deaf or blind person can use a regular cabin. Why not? They don't have to "settle" for an accessible one. For that matter, no person with a disability has to "settle" for an accessible cabin unless the features of that cabin are such that they will be of help to the person with a disability -- like wider doorways, no lips in the toilet, more grab bars, etc. Many of us do have to "settle" for an accessible cabin or not cruise, however. or must settle for an accessible one and if cruise lines offer any other type of assistance to those people. Also, what about people who suffer cerebral palsy or arthritis and have problems with their upper bodies, not the legs and feet? There are countless disabilities that nobody talks about when they claim to accommodate for disabled travelers. People with cerebral palsy, arthritis, any sort of disability can ask for and be booked in an accessible cabin. As can people with cognitive disabilities, autism, other disabilities that require assistance. Handicap accessible cabins are not only useful for persons with lower limb problems, and are used by others with other sorts of disabilities, all the time. :mad:

So maybe YOU don't think about all these other sorts of disabilities and how they benefit from accessibility devices (including those offered to folks in regular cabins, like the equipment for hearing impaired people, menus in braille for vision impaired people, translators for deaf people, etc.,). Maybe YOU only know about people with disabilities you can SEE, like people on crutches, in wheelchairs, etc.

Believe me, those of us in the disabilities community are quite aware of, and sensitive to, the needs of all our brothers and sisters with disabilities, regardless of whether they are visible or not visible, and we advocate for all sorts of accessibility features.

We are sailing 7-25-10 on the Carnival Splendor. We are in Cabin 1002, one of only two accessible cabins on the ship that accommodates more than two passengers. The cruise lines, at least on the West Coast, never considered that the disabled person would be a minor accompanied by his parents.

My wife, 11-yr old son, and I are very much looking forward to this cruise. Until now, we've always had to book more than we needed, i.e. suite or something, just to get the 3-person occupancy. However, Princess actually changed the occupancy on our deck for the 14-day to Hawaii and we got a nice accessible cabin. But the cruise was awful because it was the last before the "Golden" went in for dry dock. No one told us and we're never sailing Princess again.

We are really hoping for the Carnival Splendor to rejuvenate our love of cruising. I hope the rear/aft accessible tender area is truly what some bloggers have said and that we will be able to take our son into Cabo.

And oh, Cabin 1002 is all the forward and on deck 10. It is near elevators, Camp Carnival, and is technically part of the Spa Deck so we may get some amenities. We shall see.

I think we should consider ourselves lucky ships even have these cabins no matter where they are.

I had to re-read that sentence, I thought I'd mi-read it! Able bodied or disabled it shouldn't matter. Everyone deserves the same standard of comfort. I would dearly love for us not to need an adapted cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time we hear or read "disabled travelers" or "handicap accessible," we only know about the people who have crutches, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Why does "handicap accessibility" have to be limited to larger cabins with no bathtubs, less furnture, etc.? I want to know what cruise lines do about the deaf and hearing-impaired. I want to know what they are doing for the blind and vision-impaired. I want to know if a deaf or blind person can use a regular cabin or must settle for an accessible one and if cruise lines offer any other type of assistance to those people. Also, what about people who suffer cerebral palsy or arthritis and have problems with their upper bodies, not the legs and feet? There are countless disabilities that nobody talks about when they claim to accommodate for disabled travelers. :mad:

I am deaf and we can use a regular cabin. Cabins are not the problem. It's interpreters and captions for us. The only cruise lines that will provide interpreters at the moment are Carnival and Royal Caribbean. they also provide ADA compliance kits for the room with a TDD, Bed shaker alarm, smoke detector, phone flasher and door flasher. all other lines that we have sailed or wanted to sail have refused all of our requests. Carnival provides subtitles on their safety videos but neither carnival or any other lines provide captions on any of their other programming. Carnival also provided a crew member whose duty was to come to our cabin and escort us out in case of an emergency. Most other lines wouldn't even know we were aboard. It could be worse. It wasn't that long ago that deaf people were not allowed to cruise at all unless someone who could hear also traveled with them :eek:

Glad to know that I'm not the only one looking for information about access for disabilities that are not mobility related. I'm deaf and use a cochlear implant. I've used all of the equipment described above but I always have to make a big issue of it with the cruise line and often the staff does not how to use it or how to set it up. They need more practice so I wish all passengers with significant hearing loss would speak up and ask for access. The cruise lines would be amazed at how many of their passengers have a hearing loss. Actually I think they probably already know. Staff on HAL told me that they estimate that at least 33% of their passengers have a hearing loss which may explain why the music in the show lounge is so loud - my husband had to use ear plugs to protect his hearing.

I'd love to know what's available on each ship and how to ask for it in advance.

Please be aware that Royal Caribbean is changing its practice of having interpreters for deaf people.

I think it is cost cutting but they claim it is due to a shortage of qualified interpreters for their huge ships.

There was a whole thread on this over the winter.

Archived