Luggage on New York busses and the subway

FSRoberts

I will be taking a Sept. 27 departure on the Splendor to New England and Canada. However, we are flying in to LGA on Sept 25th, and also staying one extra night.

To save money, we are planning on staying in Queens in an as of yet undetermined hotel. Heck, it may be hotels as we might switch it up on the return night.

We are both young and can lug our luggage with no issues, including stairs. However, we will likely have a fair amount (a good size suitcase, a smaller suitcase, and 2 backpacks between us). How much is this a problem transporting on public transit, including both the subway and the bus (as many Queens hotels you need to take a bus to get to a subway stop)?

Will will have our luggage on at least 4 trips. LGA to the hotel, the hotel to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, then both in reverse. I'm curious if I am being too foolhardy thinking, with some extra time and inconvenience, I can stick with much cheaper MTA over pricey cabs.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean you can't.

You certainly don't want to do it during rush hours where the subways and buses are too crowded to handle the people they have to carry, much less luggage.

At any time of the day your luggage will be occupying aisle space and could easily be in someone's way.

Of the three NY City area airports, LGA has the least passenger-friendly mass transit options. EWR and JFK have easy-to-use rail options that LGA doesn't.

Everyone has their own sense of what money they're willing to spend and what they're not, but given the cost of a couple of taxi rides relative to the cost of the cruise and a couple of nights in a hotel, the cost of the taxis is relatively small.

It definitely can be done and there are folks on this forum that can help you with specific strategies for the subways stations and bus routes involved. However, it would be helpful to know your exact dates (there can be transit interruptions on the weekends) as well as where you are going to stay.

I know you're young and can haul all that stuff around, but have you considered limiting yourself to an airplane carryon bag and a backpack each? I've done that three times this last year for 14+ day transatlantic repo cruises. Saved a ton of money with no luggage fees and the ability to easily use public transit in Paris, Rome, and London.

It definitely can be done and there are folks on this forum that can help you with specific strategies for the subways stations and bus routes involved. However, it would be helpful to know your exact dates (there can be transit interruptions on the weekends) as well as where you are going to stay.

I know you're young and can haul all that stuff around, but have you considered limiting yourself to an airplane carryon bag and a backpack each? I've done that three times this last year for 14+ day transatlantic repo cruises. Saved a ton of money with no luggage fees and the ability to easily use public transit in Paris, Rome, and London.

Thanks for the reply. With google and the iTrans app, I think I can figure out the best MTA routings. I'm more worried that I'll roll my suitcase up and be denied entry. We will be boarding on Saturday, Sept. 27th, and returning the following Saturday. Perhaps I'll post the routes when I decide where we will stay.

Limiting luggage is a challenge for us. It is a late September New England cruise, so we need plenty of layers and rain gear. This isn't a "grab some swim trunks and shorts" Caribbean itinerary where there is predictable weather. Plus, neither of us are small people. Our clothes are just plain big, too. We might be able to make it with one large suitcase, but needing jackets and cruise elegant wear (mens suits are darn hard to pack), I just don't think a carryon will do.

I had 2 mitigating plans. First is getting an LGA area hotel that has a shuttle. That eliminates 2 trips. The second possibility is taking a cab to a subway stop rather than the bus. That way I can keep cab fare under $20 rather than $70 when you count tolls and tip.

I know for many of you a big cab bill is nothing, but that money has to come from a tight budget and could be spent elsewhere on a lot more fun stuff than a ride to the terminal.

You certainly don't want to do it during rush hours where the subways and buses are too crowded to handle the people they have to carry, much less luggage.

At any time of the day your luggage will be occupying aisle space and could easily be in someone's way.

Thanks, and noted. We depart Saturday. I'm hoping Saturdays after 9AM are not that busy, but really have no idea.

Of the three NY City area airports, LGA has the least passenger-friendly mass transit options. EWR and JFK have easy-to-use rail options that LGA doesn't.

I thought they had good transit options only for getting to Manhattan. As Manhattan hotels are pricey, I planned to stay in Queens, even if it costs a bit of time to take MTA for sightseeing.

Everyone has their own sense of what money they're willing to spend and what they're not, but given the cost of a couple of taxi rides relative to the cost of the cruise and a couple of nights in a hotel, the cost of the taxis is relatively small.

The money is better spent elsewhere. Sadly, I don't have the money some of you have. I'd rather spend my money on a nice lighthouse tour in Portland, ME than on getting to the cruise terminal. If I spend a ton on taxis, something else has to go.

I'm sure you can plot out the MTA routes, but IMO you need the expert advice from the New Yorkers who know these stations. Not all stations are accessible and some of the Queens subway stations are elevated several flights of stairs above the street. There are often multiple ways you can go between two points and one way might be much more luggage friendly.

Too bad you're not sailing from Cape Liberty - I have the accessible directions for that trip and post them frequently.

I'm sure you can plot out the MTA routes, but IMO you need the expert advice from the New Yorkers who know these stations. Not all stations are accessible and some of the Queens subway stations are elevated several flights of stairs above the street. There are often multiple ways you can go between two points and one way might be much more luggage friendly.

Too bad you're not sailing from Cape Liberty - I have the accessible directions for that trip and post them frequently.

I'll check when I have a better idea of where I'm staying. I'm thinking it will be some place next to LGA.

Though I'm glad it's not from Cape Liberty. I'd miss so much in the sail away! No lower Manhattan skyline, no Ellis Island, no Statue of Liberty. Boarding from Manhattan, where ships have loaded and unloaded passengers for over a century, is one thing I'm looking forward to.

Hotel rates in late September are usually still high with UN Annual Meeting on East Side of Manhattan but - hotels in Long Island City/Queens should have better rates but none offer free LGA shuttle, AFAIK - which is 1 to 5 subway stops from the other side of East River. Hotels near Flushing at the far end of the No.7 subway line to Manhattan offered free airport shuttle, but NOT convenient for sightseeing purposes (fine for pre-cruise late arrival/overnight stay.) Car services to Manhattan pier from LIC is around $20 to $25 whereas Flushing would be around $45 to $50 per vehicle, plus possible toll depending on routing.

Subway routes are often modified on weekends for track work, maintenance & other reasons so extra time and/or transfer via surface (slower !!) bus shuttle are substituted. As a result, subway trains on weekends are just as crowded as it's on its own schedule, ditto for local buses as they aren't designed for travelers with 25"+ spinners & loaded NorthFace backpacks - was on a packed No.7 subway this past weekend (NY Mets - baseball team) game :D & later this month into early September - U.S. Tennis at nearby stadium - massive crowds expected :eek: )

As for taking the cab to the subway from LGA, it's actually easier to use the Q70 limited stop airport bus, which has luggage racks & wide entry doors for travelers and will take you to/from 74th/Broadway/Roosevelt station for several subway & bus connections or to 61st Street Woodside for subway and LIRR (with 2 stops) train connection to NY Penn Station - fare is $2.50 plus person with free transfer using the Metro Card, purchased at newstand or dispensing terminal at LGA. This will bring you closer to Long Island City & you can grab a green taxi (metered fare) and/or call a local car service, or consider Uber (?? questionable for many of us) or newly launch Lyft but with very limited availability in outer boroughs, etc.

Mrs. M & I each travel for a week with a 22" airline-sized MLC roller and a backpack/oversized tote, by packing smartly i.e. Alaska cruise in Sept. with 3 season parka & layered our outwear (XXLT sized) Formal wear for cruising is a dress shirt & tie and Rockport shoes - haven't taken a navy blazer to cruise in years, depending on one's cruiseline.

It's down to a matter of convenience, budget & money saved vs. one's own comfort and safety - late September can be nice & cool in the 60's and 70's or it could be 80's - dragging suitcases aren't going to be fun, IMO. ;) The hassle factors - that cannot be easily measured.

Edited by mking8288

OP: Have you considered trying to get a hotel in Manhattan on Price line? We have several times and were able to get nice ones for around $150. I don't know what price range you're looking at for hotels in Queens, but pretty much anywhere in Manhattan would be closer and more convenient then Queens. Transportation to the ship would then be a lot easier, quicker and convenient, as well. Not to mention that if you wanted to venture out for the evening, being in Manhattan would be a bit more interesting and fun.

OP: Have you considered trying to get a hotel in Manhattan on Price line? We have several times and were able to get nice ones for around $150. I don't know what price range you're looking at for hotels in Queens, but pretty much anywhere in Manhattan would be closer and more convenient then Queens. Transportation to the ship would then be a lot easier, quicker and convenient, as well. Not to mention that if you wanted to venture out for the evening, being in Manhattan would be a bit more interesting and fun.

I have been looking on Hotwire and Kayak, but the cheapest Manhattan hotels of equivalent quality are running nearly twice the price of Queens hotels. As another poster pointed out, the problem may be the UN General Assembly, which I now see meets the latter half of September. Probably why even Long Island City hotels are not really cheaper, being right across the East River from the UN.

I've been keeping an eye our for falling prices at the date gets closer, but so far prices have been going up, if anything.

Also, while it simplifies getting the luggage to and from ship, it complicates getting the luggage to and from LaGuardia.

However, I was definitely considering it for the return night when going to Queens to drop luggage only to return to enjoy the city would be more of a pain.

Hotel rates in late September are usually still high with UN Annual Meeting on East Side of Manhattan but - hotels in Long Island City/Queens should have better rates but none offer free LGA shuttle, AFAIK - which is 1 to 5 subway stops from the other side of East River. Hotels near Flushing at the far end of the No.7 subway line to Manhattan offered free airport shuttle, but NOT convenient for sightseeing purposes (fine for pre-cruise late arrival/overnight stay.) Car services to Manhattan pier from LIC is around $20 to $25 whereas Flushing would be around $45 to $50 per vehicle, plus possible toll depending on routing.

Thanks for the tip about the UN. I had not realized that, but it explains the rates.

I've stayed as far as the Meadowlands when seeing Manhattan before. All that time on transit is a pain, but I found it doable.

Subway routes are often modified on weekends for track work, maintenance & other reasons so extra time and/or transfer via surface (slower !!) bus shuttle are substituted. As a result, subway trains on weekends are just as crowded as it's on its own schedule, ditto for local buses as they aren't designed for travelers with 25"+ spinners & loaded NorthFace backpacks - was on a packed No.7 subway this past weekend (NY Mets - baseball team) game :D & later this month into early September - U.S. Tennis at nearby stadium - massive crowds expected :eek: )

Good to note. Fortunately my trip is at the end of September. The US Open will be over. The Mets do play that weekend. Fortunately night games. They don't play Thursday when I arrive, Friday luggage won't be a problem, and I will be on ship before the first fan heads to Citi Field Saturday.

As for taking the cab to the subway from LGA, it's actually easier to use the Q70 limited stop airport bus, which has luggage racks & wide entry doors for travelers and will take you to/from 74th/Broadway/Roosevelt station for several subway & bus connections or to 61st Street Woodside for subway and LIRR (with 2 stops) train connection to NY Penn Station - fare is $2.50 plus person with free transfer using the Metro Card, purchased at newstand or dispensing terminal at LGA. This will bring you closer to Long Island City & you can grab a green taxi (metered fare) and/or call a local car service, or consider Uber (?? questionable for many of us) or newly launch Lyft but with very limited availability in outer boroughs, etc.

Good to know about the Q70. If I get a place with an airport shuttle, I can go back to the airport and just use the Q70.

Mrs. M & I each travel for a week with a 22" airline-sized MLC roller and a backpack/oversized tote, by packing smartly i.e. Alaska cruise in Sept. with 3 season parka & layered our outwear (XXLT sized) Formal wear for cruising is a dress shirt & tie and Rockport shoes - haven't taken a navy blazer to cruise in years, depending on one's cruiseline.

I'll have a suit with me for another planned stop in NYC, so it will be there. We will keep it as limited as possible, though. Plus, I like dressing up at least once a cruise, if not 2 or 3 times. Maybe we can squeeze, but I prefer not to fold my 56L suit too much.

Where in Queens are you looking to stay? I would recommend the Fairfield Inn NY LGA Airport Astoria location because they have a shuttle to/from the airport as well as a shuttle to/from the subway (they are a 15 block walk from the subway, N train, if you wanted to hoof it). From that location it would probably cost about $25 to take a cab to the pier. You could definitely do the subway with your luggage but for the Astoria Blvd N stop you would have one long staircase up to the mezzanine level and then another staircase up to the platform. Then once you got to 57th and 7th station you would have another two flights up to street level. From there you could walk the 1 mile to the pier or just catch a cab for the short ride. For your dates it is $169/night.

Another option is to check out Long Island City, Queens as there are a ton of hotels in that area and some come in around $140/night. Most of these hotels do not offer hotel shuttles so you would have to cab it or take the bus/subway combo that mking8288 mentioned (Q70 to 7 train to Queensboro Plaza or the M60 to the N train to Queensboro Plaza) from QP you could walk to your hotel. From the Queensboro Plaza area the N, Q, 7, M, R, E, and F trains are all within walking distance so getting into the city would be a breeze, you would only be one subway stop out of Manhattan. Transportation wise this location can't be beat with all the subway options.

It would be a cheap cab ride to the pier from LIC because all you would do is cross the Queensboro bridge and go straight across to the pier on the west side, likely a $15 ride, while the subway would be $5 for the two of you with lots of stairs in the up direction.

Edited by x lindsay x

If budget is that tight I would forget the extra hotel stay on return and use that money for transportation, and maybe a hotel in Manhattan before your cruise, as the aggravation would not be worth it.

Plane tickets were much cheaper departing Sunday. And, well, those are already purchased.

Before booking the hotel using your preferred online site, use Google Map/Street View or equivalent to get a virtual view of the m/hotel's location to be sure that you are comfortable with it, i.e. walking back @ night.

Fairfield in Astoria w free LGA airport shuttle mentioned by x lindsay x is about as close to Manhattan at the given price range, and it is just north of Long Island City. With taxes & fees, close to $200 per night. None of the decent hotel next to LGA airport's immediate area are near the subways, as weekend bus services tend to run once every 15 to 20 minutes or longer - connecting to nearby station is not very convenient, IMO. Saving in money at the expense of time ...

I hestitate to recommend downtown Flushing in Queens but several hotel are worthy of staying whereas others are to avoided at all costs - it's all within 2 to 4 blocks of the No.7 subway on Main Street, and 45 minutes to Time Square one-way. Prices looked to be lowered than LIC/Astoria & LGA vicinity using one of my online booking site.

One strategy is to book a 100% refundable property of 2.5 to 3 stars in Queens, and keep checking on Priceline and/or Hotwire for specials - downtown Wall Street and Lower East Side area might be within price target

The M60 Bus as SBS (Select Bus Service) w fewer stops between LGA & Manhattan (and several in Queens) that require pre-payment at designated stops before boarding the bus - most likely not for OP but useful for others going to upper Manhattan & West Side. Info on MTA's website including several useful Apps / mobile sites to use on the go. www.mta.info Under MTA Travel Time - The Weekender is useful to plan for riding the bus & subway, including any out-of-service elevators & escalators for the accessible ridership. MTA Bus Time for Queens & Brooklyn - very useful and I've personally used it lately & very good #thumbs up. MTA Subway Time is less useful while underground in Manhattan without cellular/WiFi signal but good for all other boroughs/counties including Queens. Pre-load & bookmark them on your smartphone - and it will help you navigate the city.

Both the 74th/Roosevelt Ave stations and 61 Street/Woodside subway & LIRR train stations have, normally, elevator and/or escalator services for those w mobility & luggage to pull/push and navigate - if they are out of order & down for scheduled maintenance, there isn't much anyone can do. Many parents traveling with infants/children & a folding strollers managed to get on/off the buses and subways just fine - so a smart traveler packing light should be fine - I typically commute to downtown Manhattan on job assignement, sometimes with a big backpack full of electronics, gears & gadgets with ease. I've seen plenty of travelers off-peak with 22" rollers but near-peak time with 25" spinners is a challenge - for space alone, once you get on the platform level.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just an update, I have booked my hotel. I am at the Laguardia Plaza, right next to the airport. Looks a bit outdated, but livable. One advantage they have is an hourly shuttle to and from the "train station" (presumably Jackson Hts/74th/Roosevelt Av). Plus they have an airport shuttle.

So it sounds like I can take that shuttle to the train station, and with little difficulty hop the E train to 50th street in Manhattan and walk to the pier.

I still have not booked a hotel for the Saturday night on the return. But I'm considering gambling on waiting until the last minute (perhaps booking from my phone from the ship as we pull back into NYC) and going for somewhere in Manhattan. Then after disembarking we can drop our luggage there before check in, and enjoy the city. Then we would have the morning in the city, too, and could just take the train followed by the Q70 bus to the airport for out 4:30PM Sunday departure.

I still have not booked a hotel for the Saturday night on the return. But I'm considering gambling on waiting until the last minute (perhaps booking from my phone from the ship as we pull back into NYC) and going for somewhere in Manhattan. Then after disembarking we can drop our luggage there before check in, and enjoy the city. Then we would have the morning in the city, too, and could just take the train followed by the Q70 bus to the airport for out 4:30PM Sunday departure.

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West Side

Oct 4, 2014 to Oct 5, 2014

2 Adults

Room

Standard 2 Beds $249.00

Promo Code: REFERRAL35 -$35.00

Promo Code: TPSAVINGS -$24.90

Taxes and Fees $37.00

Sub-Total USD $226.10

On Travelpony with current promo. Near the terminal and Times Sq. Walkable with luggage but perhaps a bite out of the budget.

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West Side

Oct 4, 2014 to Oct 5, 2014

2 Adults

Room

Standard 2 Beds $249.00

Promo Code: REFERRAL35 -$35.00

Promo Code: TPSAVINGS -$24.90

Taxes and Fees $37.00

Sub-Total USD $226.10

On Travelpony with current promo. Near the terminal and Times Sq. Walkable with luggage but perhaps a bite out of the budget.

Thanks. I'll look at that one.

OK, just an update, I have booked my hotel. I am at the Laguardia Plaza, right next to the airport. Looks a bit outdated, but livable. One advantage they have is an hourly shuttle to and from the "train station" (presumably Jackson Hts/74th/Roosevelt Av). Plus they have an airport shuttle.

So it sounds like I can take that shuttle to the train station, and with little difficulty hop the E train to 50th street in Manhattan and walk to the pier.

You picked well. I stay there a lot for business trips. Ask for a room on the third floor facing the street. Those are the only rooms that have sliding doors to a little patio (it is actually the roof the the lobby). They have a few chairs and a couple of tables and you can always drag your desk chair outside. In my book, it is very nice sitting out there early morning with something warm to drink and watching the planes. From that patio, you are looking directly onto the runways at LGA. Only better view for planespotting is from the 7th floor rooms at the back of the Marriott but the price is twice as high.

The LaGuardia Plaza is the old Crowne Plaza. It is owned by the same people that own the Hampton Inn next door. BUT when they built the Hampton Inn, they had to choose which hotel was going to keep a brand name. Since business travelers for a long time have stayed at both the Crowne and Marriott across the road, they chose to brand their new hotel with the Hampton chain to bring in business.

They haven't been hurting for business even after changing the name. Business travelers still go to the Crowne. Everyone I speak with who has stayed there frequently even refer to it as the Crowne. I once asked a taxi driver from Manhattan to take me to the LaGuardia Plaza. He immediately said-oh the Crowne.

Just a helpful hint-make arrangements with the front desk 30 minutes before you want the shuttle to the train. #7 right into Times Square. Takes about 30-45 minutes on the Express train. Then bus or train to the port.

The hotel WILL NOT pick you up FROM the train if you return to that hotel. But when you come up out of the subway from Manhattan at Flushing Main Station, the bus is directly in front of you. And IIRC, it is the 42 bus that will drop you off directly across the street from the hotel.

Their bar food is pretty darn good and not badly priced. It is usually pretty crowded with people having a good time. The sit down white table cloth restaurant is nice but fairly pricey.

Enjoy!!!