Drawer space in N.A. balcony cabins?

linet

IIRC there's three small drawers in each night-stand and two large drawers under the foot of the bed - if the steward isn't storing extra blankets etc there. Most of your storage space will be in the form of closet shelves. Have you had a balcony cabin on any Vista ship? It is just like that. :)

We have a balcony cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam [Med cruise]. How much drawer space is in these cabins? Thanks for your help.

There is not alot but mostly you'll be using the closet shelves, which works pretty good in my opinion. Then you have the drawers in the night stands. The ones under the bed are usually stuff full of bedding.

I've found the usable drawer space on the Vista and Signature class ships to be pitiful. The drawers under the bed and sofa (if available) are where I keep things we don't need all the time. That is where I put stuff like totes and rain ponchos, not clothing. Since I use 'packing cubes' in our suitcases, I just keep some items in them and use those on the closet shelves.

On the E'dam we had a rolling hard-sided suitcase with us. I just put that under the bed in the open position and used it as an extra drawer.

From my pics it looks like 1 drawer on each side of the bed and then the underbed drawers that are at the foot I believe.

This is why many people buy those over the door shoe racks made of cloth/plastic and use that. We find it to be perfect for all the little stuff you don't know what to do with.

SAM_0363.JPG

This was VF5051. A HC cabin.

No drawer on our desk

SAM_0364.JPG

You can use this ottoman for storage but we didn't

SAM_0377.JPG

If you want to see the rest of my NA photos, feel free to browse :0)

https://picasaweb.google.com/103697664725694822863/Vacation2010HollandAmericaNieuwAmsterdamPictures02#

Oh my notes on a photo say "Desk/chiller area. The ottoman also had storage inside it. Each bedside table had 2 drawers (one locking) and the bed had 2 drawers below it. There was also ample room for our large luggage under the bed" so there's some more info lol. I totally forgot.

Ok I suddenly feel very nervous here. I have sailed on the Mas, the Veen and the Volen Dam ships.....and was thrilled w/ all the storage space. The desk/dresser had drawers galore and I could have all my make up and hair stuff all tucked neatly away.

So now on the Westerdam how does it work? Will I have the same kind of dressing table that I see in your pics Ariawoman and does that door to the left side open to shelves or drawers?

I will be in Veranda cabin but don't have an assignment as yet. I will be traveling alone so don't have to share but things look very awkward indeed. Also is the window at an angle like that in all the balcony cabins? I have looked at the layouts and things looked more normal.

Thanks!

Will I have the same kind of dressing table that I see in your pics Ariawoman and does that door to the left side open to shelves or drawers?
Yes, it will be the same. The only thing behind that door is the mini fridge/cooler. No storage there unless you have the cabin steward remove the contents.

Ok I suddenly feel very nervous here. I have sailed on the Mas, the Veen and the Volen Dam ships.....and was thrilled w/ all the storage space. The desk/dresser had drawers galore and I could have all my make up and hair stuff all tucked neatly away.

So now on the Westerdam how does it work? Will I have the same kind of dressing table that I see in your pics Ariawoman and does that door to the left side open to shelves or drawers?

I will be in Veranda cabin but don't have an assignment as yet. I will be traveling alone so don't have to share but things look very awkward indeed. Also is the window at an angle like that in all the balcony cabins? I have looked at the layouts and things looked more normal.

Thanks!

When I sailed on HAL none of my hair/makeup stuff was able to be neatly tucked away, it was always just laying on the desk. Only other place I could have put it was across the room in the shoe organizer I brought, so I just left it over on the desk. I'd go light on the makeup, bring the essentials leave the rest home.

I think it depends your category room. I had a V cabin and we had no drawers in our desk. We did have a couple of small (tiny) drawers in our nightstand though. I miss the drawers in the desk :(

Me too! That's why I will try to avoid a Vista class ship. Really bugs me to not have drawers at the desk. Since I sail solo, there is no way in the world I can afford a category that does give you drawers at the desk.:(

I was on the NA last fall for 16 days. Aft balcony cabin. Plenty of storage. One desk drawer for make-up, one for jewelry. Ottoman storage for booze and hairdryer, curling iron. Bedside table drawers for papers, journal, evening purses, iPad, phone, etc. Room steward emptied blankets from drawers under bed where I stored all purchases. Asked for extra hangers; used shelves in drawers. Suitcases under bed. Storage shelf under sink in bathroom for DH grooming supplies. We purchase the unlimited laundry package so there were never any dirty clothes to deal with and the clean clothes came back beautifully folded for compact storage.

I prefer order in the cabin with nothing strewn about and I always pack too much. Was it crowded? Absolutely not; plenty of storage. My only complaint was that the light in the hall by the closet was horrid. When a closet door was open it blocked what little light there was and it was almost impossible to see inside the 2 closets. I was able to see my clothes to distinguish a navy top from a black one by using a flashlight while dressing! The 3 other couples we travelled with also complained about the hall light but not the storage.

We once has a veranda and an Inside J on main deck to compare

There was twice the space of drawers in the J. One of the 3 closets is only half deep wit very thin shelves.:eek:

If you open the closet doors you can not get to the bathroom or out, or out of the cabin. THe desk is dinky as is the couch. :mad: It would seem big to the seven dwarfs, however.

To tell you the truth, there was much less space in the whole veranda cabin. We could not wait to get back to the Inside J which had twice the space and was way more comfortable, Bigger bath, huge sofa, 6 big drawers in the desk, and shelves for the corner sectional sofa... yes

Too the TV in the wall in the veranda is limited mobility... the Inside is on this great swivel that swings all over.

A week in a veranda or more would be not fun.. If your cruise is longer than 7 days get an Inside and revel... Want to see outside... turn on the tv... look fore or aft...

We could not wait to get back to the Inside J which had 6 big drawers in the desk,

Not in my experience.

I've stayed in several Main Deck J-cabins on Vista and Signature ships, and have never had so much as one drawer in the desk of any of them. Below the desk is the fridge on one side, and a cabinet with two shelves on the other. The shelves hold glassware and the hair dryer.

Too the TV in the wall in the veranda is limited mobility... the Inside is on this great swivel that swings all over. ...

That's not an absolute.

The TV on a swivel in the Main Deck J-cabins will vary from ship to ship. The only time I ever found a swivel was on the E-dam.

Hit the $$$ store today and bought a ton of ticky tacky little cloth boxes that fold flat. The plan: to take them along....and set them in a drawer and have things all organized. Now if this is a lousy plan...maybe don't tell me...I might cry!!! :)

I'm so spoiled by all the 9 drawers, I think, I have always had on the dresser on the other ships. But hopefully I can set these boxes up in one of the bed drawers and at least keep the cabin looking neat. I also like a picked up uncluttered cabin.....although inside the drawers might be a fright!!

I'm also in shock over not having a self serve laundry and iron! Good thing the itinerary is fabulous and I really want to sail......or I might just give up in a pout!!! :) JUST KIDDING!!

I'm quite sure I will survive! Will I have a chair AND a chaise lounge on my balcony? Anyone know???

Hit the $$$ store today and bought a ton of ticky tacky little cloth boxes that fold flat. The plan: to take them along....and set them in a drawer and have things all organized. Now if this is a lousy plan...maybe don't tell me...I might cry!!! :)

I'm so spoiled by all the 9 drawers, I think, I have always had on the dresser on the other ships. But hopefully I can set these boxes up in one of the bed drawers and at least keep the cabin looking neat. I also like a picked up uncluttered cabin.....although inside the drawers might be a fright!!

I'm also in shock over not having a self serve laundry and iron! Good thing the itinerary is fabulous and I really want to sail......or I might just give up in a pout!!! :) JUST KIDDING!!

I'm quite sure I will survive! Will I have a chair AND a chaise lounge on my balcony? Anyone know???

We were in a VF category verandah and had 2 upright chairs and an ottoman/table thing - all were wicker.

Thanks for the info about the lack of drawer space. Was on the Westerdam ten years ago but had forgotten. (Where did the time go??) Will be sure to take my shoe bag to corral the small stuff.

This is a video I took on Nieuw Amsterdam for cabin 5010 (category VC balcony). Sorry about the quality it wasn't that good, but may give you an idea about the amount of closest spaces in the cabin. We had 2 adults and 2 kids in the room and were happy with the amount of storage space we had.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived