ATM bill denominations

geospyder

In NZ it can vary depending on how much you take out. They normally dispense $20 notes.

However I have withdrawn

$60 and recieved 10's and 20's

$100 and received all 20's

over $100 and received $50 notes.

The higher denominations are harder to cash for small purchases so the trick is to just withdraw small amounts , as needed.

In NZ it can vary depending on how much you take out. They normally dispense $20 notes.

However I have withdrawn

$60 and recieved 10's and 20's

$100 and received all 20's

over $100 and received $50 notes.

The higher denominations are harder to cash for small purchases so the trick is to just withdraw small amounts , as needed.

From a bank fee perspective, I'll argue against the proposal to withdraw small amounts, as needed.

No doubt you'll be charged fees for withdrawals in Australia and New Zealand if you're a foreigner.

When travelling, I find it cheaper to withdraw in larger amounts to minimise transaction costs (which can add up to some serious money depending on your bank's fee policy).

Its worth looking at getting a money travel card (I'm sure these are available in some form in the US). The ones we get in Australia are good. They lock in the exchange rate, there are no fees for transactions and ATM withdrawal worldwide is $2 per transaction.

Check with your bank about fees and charges before travelling. That's my advice.

From a bank fee perspective, I'll argue against the proposal to withdraw small amounts, as needed.

No doubt you'll be charged fees for withdrawals in Australia and New Zealand if you're a foreigner.

When travelling, I find it cheaper to withdraw in larger amounts to minimise transaction costs (which can add up to some serious money depending on your bank's fee policy).

Its worth looking at getting a money travel card (I'm sure these are available in some form in the US). The ones we get in Australia are good. They lock in the exchange rate, there are no fees for transactions and ATM withdrawal worldwide is $2 per transaction.

Check with your bank about fees and charges before travelling. That's my advice.

Thats good advice if you need a decent amount of money for many days of travelling around a country. If you are only in a country for a day on a cruise ship visit, whats the point of converting heaps of cash , only to lose again on the exchange rate when you cash it in again.

Whatever fees you pay can be far outweighed by what you will lose on exchange rates and fees.

With ATM's you only pay for what you need.

Thats good advice if you need a decent amount of money for many days of travelling around a country. If you are only in a country for a day on a cruise ship visit, whats the point of converting heaps of cash , only to lose again on the exchange rate when you cash it in again.

Whatever fees you pay can be far outweighed by what you will lose on exchange rates and fees.

With ATM's you only pay for what you need.

In the event someone stops over in a country for one day, there are several options for obtaining cash:

1. Withdraw a little currency from the Purser's desk on board. They will always have the currency of the places being visited.

2. Some developing countries still accept USD, so for Americans exchange isn't always necessary.

3. Where possible, pay by credit card. This is perhaps the best option in first world nations.

Thanks for the info. Now the fun part - figuring out how much I need for ice cream/beer money :confused: With the exception of three days in Auckland all the other stops will just be port days - four in New Zealand and ten in Australia. Fifty two more wake ups :D

In order to get the best value for your money whilst in NZ and Australia using your credit card is the best way to get the best exchange rate. Visa and MasterCard are the two most popular credit cards used and most places wont charge you a transaction fee although they are legally entitled to. Transaction fees vary between 1.5 and 2%. This is in addition to any international currency charges levied by your bank. If extracting money out of an ATM there is normally an interbank fee of around $NZ1 per transaction. Check with your home bank to ascertain whether or not your bank has a relationship with any NZ or Australian bank. If they do their may be no withdrawal fee from the ATM.

If not undertaking any excursions whilst in NZ I would bring with Me around $NZ 200 to cover incidentals like coffees, small trinkets, snacks etc. Any major expenses put on the plastic. Similarly in Aussie take a similar amount. You can always top up from your "friendly" ATM if need be for cash. If you need to change money whilst ashore use one of the major retail trading banks as they will give you a far better rate than a bureau de change, hotel or even on board the ship. The more people involved in a currency transaction the more the ticket gets clipped

Many issuers charge 4% foreign transaction fees. Get a Capital One credit card and they have 0% foreign transaction fee plus they seem to have a good conversion rate. Very few issuers charge 0% foreign transaction fee. One of the United Airlines credit cards is also 0%.

• 3 weeks later...

Would someone please advise the maximum amount an ATM dispenses in both Australia and New Zealand? I realize there is a daily limit, but I don't know much much to enter at the ATM. Here I can withdraw $500. in a calendar day; is it the same in Australia and New Zealand?

Thank you in advance for enlightening me!

Maximum Amount---Would someone please advise the maximum amount an ATM dispenses in both Australia and New Zealand? I realize there is a daily limit, but I don't know much much to enter at the ATM. Here I can withdraw $500. in a calendar day; is it the same in Australia and New Zealand?Thank you in advance for enlightening me!

It varies according to which card and bank you are with . Most folks just take out enough cash for small daily purchases , and put anything else on their CC. If you intend to withdraw large amounts of cash , make sure you notify your bank before you leave or they may put a stop on your card suspecting it is being used fraudulently.

Would someone please advise the maximum amount an ATM dispenses in both Australia and New Zealand? I realize there is a daily limit, but I don't know much much to enter at the ATM. Here I can withdraw $500. in a calendar day; is it the same in Australia and New Zealand?

Most allow $NZ400 per day but depending upon arrangements one has with the bank up to $800. There will be additional bank charges if one uses an ATM which is not aligned with your parent bank. Suggest you check with your bank to ascertain if they have an agreement with a NZ trading bank. Our major banks are also Australian banks

Most allow $NZ400 per day but depending upon arrangements one has with the bank up to $800. There will be additional bank charges if one uses an ATM which is not aligned with your parent bank. Suggest you check with your bank to ascertain if they have an agreement with a NZ trading bank. Our major banks are also Australian banks

BBM

The $NZ400 per day is very helpful! I checked with my local bank on Friday, and they are in the NYCE network which is only in operation in the U.S. according to the customer service rep; I can use NYCE in Australia and New Zealand, but I must be on a military base to do so according to the rep.

I have a card with another bank which is on the Jeanie, Star, and Plus networks, but I haven't heard back yet from that bank's rep about the availability in Australia and New Zealand.

Thank you for your input!

It varies according to which card and bank you are with . Most folks just take out enough cash for small daily purchases , and put anything else on their CC. If you intend to withdraw large amounts of cash , make sure you notify your bank before you leave or they may put a stop on your card suspecting it is being used fraudulently.

I did so on Friday, and I have made this a practice every time I travel.

Thanks!

BBM

The $NZ400 per day is very helpful! I checked with my local bank on Friday, and they are in the NYCE network which is only in operation in the U.S. according to the customer service rep; I can use NYCE in Australia and New Zealand, but I must be on a military base to do so according to the rep.

I have a card with another bank which is on the Jeanie, Star, and Plus networks, but I haven't heard back yet from that bank's rep about the availability in Australia and New Zealand.

Thank you for your input!

Nearly all the ATMs have "Plus" access, and you wont get access to military bases. The major banks you want an alliance with are : BNZ, ASB, Westpac, ANZ, CAN NAB which are all Australian owned by operate in both countries.

Make sure you tell your bank you will be using your cards overseas - otherwise they may not work in the ATM machines. We found that out the hard way on a long cruise and were only saved by getting a cash advance from the ship's Front Desk which was put on our onboard account. Funnily, our credit card worked fine on the boat and pre-cruise hotel, but was locked down for the ATMs.

check with your bank at home. There will be a limit on daily withdrawals. You can change it for a trip. Some banks automatically set the limit at $300.

Pretty much every "major" ATM , in the walls and the standalone's in shopping centres etc, are $20 & $50.

Its the privately owned ATM's you find in Pubs, Clubs, Supermarkets etc that have an option to dispense different denominations. While most also use the $50 & $20 its these you will occasionally come across $10.

If you get an account at Bank of American you can use WestPac Bank ATMs in New Zealand and Australia without transaction fees. We have a ScotiaBank account and we were able to find WestPacs in most places. These banks are part of the Global Banking Alliance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

We also used our credit cards quite often.

Many issuers charge 4% foreign transaction fees. Get a Capital One credit card and they have 0% foreign transaction fee plus they seem to have a good conversion rate. Very few issuers charge 0% foreign transaction fee. One of the United Airlines credit cards is also 0%.

With my capital one checking/savings account I can also get back ATM fees up to $15US month. I had to change my type of account but it was easy -- thanks to the banker who told me about this plan. My advice is to shop around for your credit cards -- even within the same bank some of the new cards give very attractive points/benefits and if your card was set up a long time ago you might be loosing out. See the benefit of having your credit card number taken!:p