Star Tips & Secrets

Eytbol8

While researching for another cruise last year someone asked for the top tips and secrets for a certain ship and found they were very helpful. Can people provide top tips or secrets for the Star? Favorites things about the ship and suites, dislikes as well perhaps? I found this VERY helpful when researching for another cruise last year. We will be on the Star in March out of Los Angeles. Thanks so much in advance.

This is a portion of my latest review (cruises on the Star)

NORWEGIAN STAR

The Star had many of the features of modern cruise ships. Its capacity is about 2300 passengers. I don’t think we had many vacant cabins on this cruise. Prior to the cruise, I had read many cruise reviews on cruise critic. Some reviews had stated that the Star was in very poor condition. We were on the Star for two cruises (28 days) and did find several items that needed maintenance or repair. There was cracked flooring, rusty steel, worn furniture or carpet and more. We found that the Star’s basic features and structure to be attractive, despite some needed repair. Our cruise critic group seemed to have the same view, that yes, there were flaws, but it didn’t depreciate our enjoyment of the cruises. Ginny had a sticky drawer in our cabin that was a minor irritant, but there was nothing major to inhibit us.

We have cruised on the Epic, which holds almost twice the passengers. Although much newer, we would take the smaller, older ships any day. The larger ships always feel crowded, but despite the cold weather for most of the cruises, we never felt crowded.

The Star did have some design features that have been improved on with newer ships.

1) The Stardust theatre had seats arrayed for two stories, but the seats seemed closer together, with less leg room than we have found on other cruise ships with NCL and Celebrity. Also, the balconies on the right and left (no balcony in the middle) were not good seats at all. Most balcony seats did not allow for viewing of the entire stage, due to the balcony itself. Also, you sat facing perpendicular to the stage and would develop a crick in your neck constantly looking right or left, depending on which side you were seated.

2) The buffet (Market Café) seemed to have fewer seats than most buffets. Perhaps that was because it did not extend all the way to the aft end of the ship. Most cruise ships have a bar at the aft end of the ship adjacent to the buffet, where in good weather, you can sit outside.

3) On some decks, it was not possible to go from one end of the ship to the other.

None of these flaws would keep us from cruising on the Star in the future.

We were on the second leg of the same cruise that Papa4774 was on. Would agree that the ship is older and smaller that the Epic and newer ships but it was great for us. Freestyle means eating when and where you want but eight of us, including papa4774 and his wife, decided to dine together most nights. We connected at the CC Meet and Greet. We met most nights a 6pm at one or the other MDR. They like larger groups and always got seated quickly. Some may complain about the speed and our suppers always ran 2-2.5 hours which was fine and enjoyable for us. We left just in time to head for the 9pm entertainment.

One tip...if something is not quite right, say something. Early in the cruise we stopped but the outdoor, small buffet (Topsiders) and the fries were cold. My wife asked if they could alert us when fresh ones came out and the server asked where we were sitting. Ten minutes later he arrived with a plate of fresh, hot fries. Not only that, but every afternoon later in the cruise, if we walked by Topsiders, the server recognized us and asked where we would be sitting...soon a plate of hot, fresh fries appeared.

They REALLY want to make your cruise great. Don't just complain between yourselves, politely make them aware of the issue and they will bend over backwards to make it right. This was just one example of several.

At the meals, they also went over the top. Did struggle a bit with getting coffee and tea with consistent timing but if you want a scoop of ice cream with your desert and it's not on the menu, ask. One night the ladies thought asparagus would be nice but it wasn't on the menu. They asked politely and it showed up with their meals.

Have a great cruise!

I have a complete review with pictures of the Star listed in my signature line if you are interested. :)

Yes, very interested. Starting on it now, but it will take a bit to get through all 35+ pabges. THANK YOU :D!

Yes, very interested. Starting on it now, but it will take a bit to get through all 35+ pabges. THANK YOU :D!

LOL Sorry :o (although a lot of the postings are probably questions and comments from posters here on cc that you can skip over :p).

LOL Sorry :o (although a lot of the postings are probably questions and comments from posters here on cc that you can skip over :p).

No, no - no reason to be sorry! Those are the ones I like - longer, detailed, with pictures and with lots of questions. I love your opening already. You are exactly right, it's your experience and everyones experience is different! I can't wait to get through it all!

No, no - no reason to be sorry! Those are the ones I like - longer, detailed, with pictures and with lots of questions. I love your opening already. You are exactly right, it's your experience and everyones experience is different! I can't wait to get through it all!

:) Well good luck to you. I'm getting ready to leave for my Sun and Sky cruise, so I'll be back in 2 weeks. I hope you enjoy it.

We will be on the Star the week before you sail. Our sailing will be the first one after dry dock so we are excited about seeing what changes may occur. I will not be posting while on board but maybe someone will with the updates.

That's great! I have heard very lil' about the dry dock and I am so curious to know what they will update. I didn’t think they could do much in 2-weeks, but I guess according to others there that a lot can be done in a 24-hour a day / 2-week work schedule!!! So excited to see/hear what they do.

We will be on the Star the week before you sail. Our sailing will be the first one after dry dock so we are excited about seeing what changes may occur. I will not be posting while on board but maybe someone will with the updates.

Hey Linda, I just realized we will be on the same March cruise. We just booked it yesterday.

Patti

Could someone who has been on the STAR, please answer the original thread question with something like this for a similar thread on the Dawn? :)

These are great tips (for the Dawn!)

I believe this is what the originator of the thread was looking for.

"Originally Posted by cvgurl125

Just returned from Dawn today 11/7/14. Here are my tips.

1.The 24 hour waiter service food in Blue Lagoon is a treat. You can order to go. It's faster than room service. 2.Don't miss the Elements show. It's fabulous. All the entertainment on Dawn was great.

3.You can order a whole pizza delivery at anytime and to anywhere- your room, a bar, the pool, anywhere.

4. There are two wine tastings at Le Bistro. They include six wines, different each time and cheese, crackers and fruit are provided. Educational and worth the $$.

5. Gatsby's martini tasting was fun. It's also a great after dinner drink spot. The nightly entertainment there was great.

6. The game shows in Spinnaker were fun. I was only a spectator but laughed lots at each one.

7. If you get the chance to see Chloe and Darren's Just the Two of Us Cabaret go. They are very talented and have great chemistry.

8. The French toast was a delicious reliable breakfast in every dining venue.

9. Made to order omelettes and waffle station in buffet at breakfast and crepes at dinner are a must try.

10 Preferred Aqua over Venetian for atmosphere and service. Loved food at Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Best spent dining money however was the Jazz Brunch in La Cuchina. Food was amazing and entertainment was constant.

My two cents. Enjoy."

This is the type of response that really would be helpful for someone's first cruise on the STAR.

Thanks so much if you have an answer like the above. :)

Don

Could someone who has been on the STAR, please answer the original thread question with something like this for a similar thread on the Dawn? :)

These are great tips (for the Dawn!)

I believe this is what the originator of the thread was looking for.

"Originally Posted by cvgurl125

Just returned from Dawn today 11/7/14. Here are my tips.

1.The 24 hour waiter service food in Blue Lagoon is a treat. You can order to go. It's faster than room service. 2.Don't miss the Elements show. It's fabulous. All the entertainment on Dawn was great.

3.You can order a whole pizza delivery at anytime and to anywhere- your room, a bar, the pool, anywhere.

4. There are two wine tastings at Le Bistro. They include six wines, different each time and cheese, crackers and fruit are provided. Educational and worth the $$.

5. Gatsby's martini tasting was fun. It's also a great after dinner drink spot. The nightly entertainment there was great.

6. The game shows in Spinnaker were fun. I was only a spectator but laughed lots at each one.

7. If you get the chance to see Chloe and Darren's Just the Two of Us Cabaret go. They are very talented and have great chemistry.

8. The French toast was a delicious reliable breakfast in every dining venue.

9. Made to order omelettes and waffle station in buffet at breakfast and crepes at dinner are a must try.

10 Preferred Aqua over Venetian for atmosphere and service. Loved food at Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Best spent dining money however was the Jazz Brunch in La Cuchina. Food was amazing and entertainment was constant.

My two cents. Enjoy."

This is the type of response that really would be helpful for someone's first cruise on the STAR.

Thanks so much if you have an answer like the above. :)

Don

Don, yes - exactly, Thank you! Exactly what info I am look for about the Star that you provided about the Dawn! Thanks for helping try to get the kind of info I was aiming for :D:D!

I did responded to the post. However, I also provided a detailed review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

Sorry Papa...

But look at your post...it is actually a review of the STAR (which is not a bad thing! :) )

It has the good and the bad of the STAR. But the post that I provided on the "Dawn" as an example is what we are specifically looking for....specific fantastic items that we can focus on during our first cruise on the STAR.

If possible, could you provide that for us in a similar venue?

Thanks so much.

Don

Sorry Papa...

But look at your post...it is actually a review of the STAR (which is not a bad thing! :) )

It has the good and the bad of the STAR. But the post that I provided on the "Dawn" as an example is what we are specifically looking for....specific fantastic items that we can focus on during our first cruise on the STAR.

If possible, could you provide that for us in a similar venue?

Thanks so much.

Don

Sorry Don, but my review covers a what I would post for items of focus. It would just be a cut and paste job.

Papa....

Sorry, but I did read your post and your review, but about the only positive item you highlighted in your post about the STAR and your review was the "Entertainment."

Most of your reveiw (pertaining to the ship itself) was negative in nature.

Other than that, could you provide any other parts of the ship or particular dishes in the dining areas that you could recommend as the "Dawn" poster provided.

Thanks again.

Don

Papa....

Sorry, but I did read your post and your review, but about the only positive item you highlighted in your post about the STAR and your review was the "Entertainment."

Most of your reveiw (pertaining to the ship itself) was negative in nature.

Other than that, could you provide any other parts of the ship or particular dishes in the dining areas that you could recommend as the "Dawn" poster provided.

Thanks again.

Don

The food was generally good: All the lamb dishes, the Indian food at the buffet (when available), the Salmon and Cod, as well as anything at the specialty restaurants.

Don't order the mushroom ravioli or turkey lasagne.

The food was generally good: All the lamb dishes, the Indian food at the buffet (when available), the Salmon and Cod, as well as anything at the specialty restaurants.

Don't order the mushroom ravioli or turkey lasagne.

Thank you.....very helpful. :)

Don

We son't seem to be having much luck on these boards getting the answers we are looking for from your thread.

I will pose the question on my Roll Call since several have cruised before on the STAR.

I will share them with you if I get any good "positive" answers. :)

Don