Last Minute Deals for August 2017

SusanHornberger

Question for you.

I have a group of people that want to go on the Breakaway out of New York next August. We are going to wait until last minute to book to get the best deal. We don't care about cabin location... Just want either window or balcony cabins. Anyone have any great success doing this? What rates were you able to get? Right now balcony cabins for the last week of August are going for around $1,400 a person.

Thanks in advance.

Susan

Sorry, but unless your "group" is willing to pay more or not go, you are WAY to restrictive with only one cruise ship and date, and specific cabins.

To take advantage of last minute price dumps, the more flexible you are, the more successful you will be. Meaning- the month of August AND into September- if you aren't going to change anything else (ship and cabin choice).

Example- this year the price dumped on the Breakaway middle of Sept. no significant drops in August. The jackpot for August was on the Dawn- which I picked up twice.

Question for you.

I have a group of people that want to go on the Breakaway out of New York next August. We are going to wait until last minute to book to get the best deal. We don't care about cabin location... Just want either window or balcony cabins. Anyone have any great success doing this? What rates were you able to get? Right now balcony cabins for the last week of August are going for around $1,400 a person.

Thanks in advance.

Susan

Are you prepared to stay home if the ship sells out??

How about if 1/2 your group buy the last few cabins and the rest stay home??

Do you have a plan B ??

How big is your group (how many cabins)? It looks like last-minute prices for the BA in late August this year were pretty good. Prices in many categories dropped about 4-6 weeks before sailing. Cheapest balconies about $1200 ($1000 for BX). Prices went up between about October/November and February.

Of course there is no guarantee that next year will be like this year. But my advice would be to hold off booking until next spring, and then if you feel like gambling, wait until early or mid-July.

Right now we are a small group... just 8 people so far. Our first choice is the last week of august on the Breakaway. We know the risks of holding off from booking... I am a planner so this is killing me!! We have other options in mind if for some reason this falls through... RCCL out of Baltimore or even looking at something out of Florida that week.

I just saw such great last minute cruises on the Breakaway this August/September that I think it's worth the wait.

As long as I am cruising somewhere I am a happy camper!

I am a planner so this is killing me!!
If it's already killing you now, how are you going to feel come next July when you still haven't booked anything? Not everyone has the temperament to be a last-minute booker. I'm not sure I would do it for a group of 8 in the summertime, because the prices are not likely to drop that much, compared to the risk of screwing up the vacations of so many people, and the amount of stress it will cause everyone for several months, even if it works out in the end.

I've had reasonable luck with booking inside guarantees and the upgrading when prices drop. I sail solo in my cabin which does make a difference.

For my next cruise, I started with an inside guarantee. Then I upgraded to an obstructed oceanview, paying $100 but scoring a second freebie (prepaid service charges) which made my net cost to upgrade a $48 reduction in total costs of the cruise.

The itinerary that sails 3 weeks before us is offering a solo discount which would allow me to upgrade to a balcony for $249 (for 11 days). I'm checking my itinerary daily in the hopes that I can get the same deal. If not, there is still the possibility of upselling.

I'm fine w/ inside rooms so anything above that is really nice :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but unless your "group" is willing to pay more or not go, you are WAY to restrictive with only one cruise ship and date, and specific cabins.

To take advantage of last minute price dumps, the more flexible you are, the more successful you will be. Meaning- the month of August AND into September- if you aren't going to change anything else (ship and cabin choice).

Example- this year the price dumped on the Breakaway middle of Sept. no significant drops in August. The jackpot for August was on the Dawn- which I picked up twice.

Hi. Wondering if you could elaborate on your August Dawn jackpots? We are planning a cruise with a big group of family, most of whom have already booked. Target date is 8/4-8/11. Personally I think the prices are a bit high right now and am contemplating holding off booking until Spring. We need 2 cabins and don't care if our cabins are near the others or even super close to each other as there will be an adult in each room.

Hi. Wondering if you could elaborate on your August Dawn jackpots? We are planning a cruise with a big group of family, most of whom have already booked. Target date is 8/4-8/11. Personally I think the prices are a bit high right now and am contemplating holding off booking until Spring. We need 2 cabins and don't care if our cabins are near the others or even super close to each other as there will be an adult in each room.

My DH and I cruised on the Dawn August 5th this year. I booked on July 22nd (two weeks prior) and did get a good deal but nothing over the top. I think the prices are better the closer it gets as long as their is room. We love the Dawn and can't wait to sail her again next year.

Keep in mind that if you book 30 days or less out, you don't get the Free at Sea perks.

The value of the alcohol package is about $650 for 7 days and the prepaid service charges are $94.50 for 7 days.

So for two people in the cabin, that's a $1489 "savings" you would miss out on.

Keep in mind that if you book 30 days or less out, you don't get the Free at Sea perks.
That's not true anymore, they removed that restriction several months ago. You can get the UBP perk, or whatever other perk(s) you prefer, up until the very last minute, as long as you don't book IX/OX/BX/MX.

The value of the alcohol package is about $650 for 7 days and the prepaid service charges are $94.50 for 7 days.

So for two people in the cabin, that's a $1489 "savings" you would miss out on.

Yes not true I booked two weeks prior and did get UBP also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have an upcoming cruise on the Getaway. We booked 323 days out in an inside guarantee. I watched the promos and rates like a hawk. In March the promo was 3rd & 4th person free, SDP, UBP and $100 onboard credit. I then rebooked up to a balcony guarantee as it was only $100 more than for my hubby and I than the inside. I continued to watch like a hawk in the hope that I may find a better deal. However, even with the price drop after final payment my cruise fare continued to be less! I would also interject that if you are booking more than 8 rooms you will qualify for other promotions and less expensive rates due to the number of people in your booking. Good Luck! 19 days to go for me!!

We hit one On Dawn in August = IX $399 p.p. less than a week before sailing :D

Edited by biker@sea

Question for you.

Thanks in advance.

Susan

It all depends upon supply and demand. If it's late August close to Labor Day, then the demand may be light, but if it's the first part of August demand will be higher. How much? Who knows until we get to at least next July.

Personally, I consider last minute to be a few days up to a couple weeks prior to the cruise. Last month I booked the 7 Day Eastern Itinerary on the Escape on Tuesday for a cruise leaving 4 days later on Saturday and got a solo Inside GTY Cabin for $279. Once onboard I was upgraded to one of the OV cabins at the very front of the ship. I loved the forward view.