Piraeus X80 Express Bus to Athens

bvocruise

There is a dedicated bus stop for the X80 RIGHT outside the terminal inside the port gates. We got off the ship around 6:40a and walked through the arrivals area of the terminal.... Wifi is fast and free here with bathrooms.

As we left the terminal, all you had to do was walk out to the street and you see the either the bus stop or the bus waiting if its the first one. From ship to bus, it shouldn't be no more than 7 min unless you stop for wifi or don't get the first bus. I was amazed we were the only ones getting off the ship. It was dark and nobody around to direct us so we went inside terminal hoping the bus wasn't too far.

The bus stops near Syntagma sq as well but if the driver knows everyone is going to the acropolis he'll skip it. The driver was nice, got off the bus and pointed where to go and where the sign is for the return bus, etc...

On the return, the stop is near the Acropolis, each way took about 20-25 min drive on a Saturday... 7am & 5pm. The bus drops you off in front of the terminal door

Someone asked if it takes luggage.. there is no luggage holders like on aeroport buses however the bus isn't busy so it's possible to bring on a bag or two?

IMG_1361.JPG

Walk in/out of the arrivals

IMG_1362.JPG

Walk towards the street ignoring the taxi drivers saying the buses area on strike. :p The sign in background says X80 bus, should be the only bus that stops here

IMG_1345.JPG

This is where the driver dropped us off, if you walk up the street on the left you'll hit the acropolis museum in a few mins. This is where you get the bus on the return. The 5pm bus arrived on time... about 10 people were waiting to board

IMG_1360.JPG

Front door service!

Would love to see the pictures, but all I'm getting for each is an error notice (triangle with exclamation point). Did you change them, or am I doing something wrong?! Aargh.

Well, that's one down and one more to go: whether our ship in early October is assigned there, or to the other terminal. At this point, I haven't yet figured out from the port website, previous Cruise Critic posts and google maps just where we'll be, but before then I'm sure I will. 'm sure either one will work out fine.

I'm still confused about the schedule, but I'm hoping that when October rolls around, the X80 bus will run more frequently than once an hour. There aren't many cruise ships calling on Athens yet but I'm sure it will ramp up soon, and probably last through at least mid-October.

From cruise terminal B, a football kicker could hit the X80 bus stop with his ball, it's that close.

That's great info - do you know where the X80 stops with respect to the Acropolis? Is it by the front entrance of the Acropolis, or more near the Acropolis museum and the Acropolis metro stop? I read somewhere that the X80 starts where 040 bus starts from and follows, roughly speaking, the same drive path.

That's great info - do you know where the X80 stops with respect to the Acropolis? Is it by the front entrance of the Acropolis, or more near the Acropolis museum and the Acropolis metro stop? I read somewhere that the X80 starts where 040 bus starts from and follows, roughly speaking, the same drive path.

It's 4 min walk from the X80 bus stop to the Acropolis museum and another 10 min to the ticket booth.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9694568,23.7315217/37.9693608,23.7283889/37.9712943,23.7233452/@37.9696603,23.7267353,594m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

Well, that's one down and one more to go: whether our ship in early October is assigned there, or to the other terminal. At this point, I haven't yet figured out from the port website, previous Cruise Critic posts and google maps just where we'll be, but before then I'm sure I will. 'm sure either one will work out fine.

I'm still confused about the schedule, but I'm hoping that when October rolls around, the X80 bus will run more frequently than once an hour. There aren't many cruise ships calling on Athens yet but I'm sure it will ramp up soon, and probably last through at least mid-October.

There schedule has the bus running from 7a-9p, 1 per hour 30 min travel time but up to 50 min at various times perhaps for traffic? It would be best to take the 1st bus and beat the crowds at the acropolis. That's what we did and had the place to ourselves. You can use your same ticket all day on the metro as well. Depending when your leaving, we departed at 7p and was at the stop near the acropolis at 5 and back on ship by 530ish.

Athens is a very easy DIY port

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px80

It's 4 min walk from the X80 bus stop to the Acropolis museum and another 10 min to the ticket booth.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9694568,23.7315217/37.9693608,23.7283889/37.9712943,23.7233452/@37.9696603,23.7267353,594m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Is there some reason you went all the way around to the main ticket booth? I found some info about a ticket booth at the Theater of Dionysus site just opposite Acropolis Museum; right after you exit the metro station and before the climb up the hill, there will be a small ticket booth and a small gate.

I believe that gate wasn't open when we walked by. We had about 40 min to walk around and wait for the gates to open up plus the bathrooms/shop to get water were open and near the other gates. We did see soldiers marching the flag up the hill from the main gate and raising the flag when we got up there as the sun was coming up. Again, it wasn't busy if you go early. There was maybe a dozen people at the top and all the tour buses were just arriving as we were going back down. We walked down on that side path though near the theater

Can anyone explain where to catch the x80 back to the port please?

There are multiple stops however if nobody is getting off or waiting then it doesn't stop. The best stop to get back on is a few min by foot from the Acropolis museum.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Leof.+Andrea+Siggrou+2,+Athina+117+42,+Greece/@37.9694824,23.7306151,332m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x14a1bd16e8d464fd:0x6fba65303da9fe49

If you go to street view, you'll see the white sign that says X80 express and the bus will say X80 in front of the bus.

https://plus.google.com/photos/113176417591515191606/albums/6136663564859092113/6136663567686544002?authkey=CKGF_pydrti-_gE&pid=6136663567686544002&oid=113176417591515191606

http://www.oasa.gr/pdf/X80_1_en.pdf

This is a map of the stops which shows the Syntagma Sq stop as well however I never got off/on there just the Acropolis. We had the first bus and all 5 of us was going to the Acropolis so the driver skipped Syntagma and turned around letting us off on the return side so we didn't have to cross the street. He even got off the bus and showed us the sign and where the bus would pick us up later in the day. Driver was extremely friendly.

Do you buy the ticket on the bus? Or do you have to go somewhere else to get the ticket before getting on the bus?

You can purchase the day pass (4 euros) from the bus driver. It's good for the return trip and unlimited rides on the metro. There is also a kiosk at the bus stop outside terminal E12. Hopefully the link below works, the blue roof is the bus stop right across street from the terminal.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B056%2705.5%22N+23%C2%B037%2733.8%22E/@37.934857,23.62605,219m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Keep in mind the info I speak of is for the furthest terminal out which is where the largest ships dock. .5 mile away there is terminal 11, the bus stops across the street from port exit in front of the DHL store on corner. No Kiosk

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B056%2712.8%22N+23%C2%B038%2720.2%22E/@37.936895,23.638957,167m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Does anyone have specific directions from catching the X-80 from terminal A and B? We will be on a large cruise ship and are not sure which terminal. Also, I'm not sure if passengers can exit from both terminals. I thought the last time we were there that they made everyone go to terminal A.

I went to the official bus webpage and downloaded the rout map and timetable. I could not find specific stop information near the port.

I would ask the people on the ship but they won't tell you even if they know. They try to convince to you into taking a ship sponsored tour.

I read the threads but could not find clear directions as to where the bus stops at terminal A or B. I'm thinking we will dock at terminal B as the ship is huge. I've been told terminal B is not always open though.

I'm thinking of leaving my family on this ship and getting off early to do some recon. Then I can walk back on and get them. I don't want us all getting lost trying to catch the X80 bus.

I read the threads but could not find clear directions as to where the bus stops at terminal A or B. I'm thinking we will dock at terminal B as the ship is huge. I've been told terminal B is not always open though.

I'm thinking of leaving my family on this ship and getting off early to do some recon. Then I can walk back on and get them. I don't want us all getting lost trying to catch the X80 bus.

Terminal B (also E12) is usually where the largest ships will prob dock here. I've posted maps/pics in recent posts, getting the X80 is simple and no reason to waste time on any recon. If your ship docks here, it's a 5 min walk. All you have to do is walk thru the terminal building. The bus stop is large and you can't miss it. Just ignore the taxi drivers telling you the bus is on strike :rolleyes:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113176417591515191606/albums/6136663564859092113?authkey=CKGF_pydrti-_gE

We walked off the ship at 630am (in the quiet darkness) and into the terminal. Used the free wifi and the first x80 was outside waiting for us. Only 5 people total on the bus and we were dropped off at the Acropolis stop. It was a very quick drive since we all were going to same stop, the driver didn't make the full loop. He even got off the bus and pointed to the bus stop sign/pick up point for later in the day.

Coming back, we were dropped off (along with about a dozen others) around 545pm on the return. The terminal building was open and security was pretty fast.

We walked off the ship at 630am (in the quiet darkness) and into the terminal. Used the free wifi and the first x80 was outside waiting for us. Only 5 people total on the bus and we were dropped off at the Acropolis stop. It was a very quick drive since we all were going to same stop, the driver didn't make the full loop. He even got off the bus and pointed to the bus stop sign/pick up point for later in the day.

Coming back, we were dropped off (along with about a dozen others) around 545pm on the return. The terminal building was open and security was pretty fast.

We appreciate the information and took a private tour the last time there. Our plans are to visit the Acropolis Museum and walk around. We don't plan on going back to the Acropolis although it is impressive. I'm guessing we will only be in the city about five hours. We have a beverage package this cruise and want to make the most of it.

• 3 weeks later...