Piraeus X80 Express Bus to Athens

bvocruise

There is a dedicated bus stop for the X80 RIGHT outside the terminal inside the port gates. We got off the ship around 6:40a and walked through the arrivals area of the terminal.... Wifi is fast and free here with bathrooms.

As we left the terminal, all you had to do was walk out to the street and you see the either the bus stop or the bus waiting if its the first one. From ship to bus, it shouldn't be no more than 7 min unless you stop for wifi or don't get the first bus. I was amazed we were the only ones getting off the ship. It was dark and nobody around to direct us so we went inside terminal hoping the bus wasn't too far.

The bus stops near Syntagma sq as well but if the driver knows everyone is going to the acropolis he'll skip it. The driver was nice, got off the bus and pointed where to go and where the sign is for the return bus, etc...

On the return, the stop is near the Acropolis, each way took about 20-25 min drive on a Saturday... 7am & 5pm. The bus drops you off in front of the terminal door

Someone asked if it takes luggage.. there is no luggage holders like on aeroport buses however the bus isn't busy so it's possible to bring on a bag or two?

IMG_1361.JPG

Walk in/out of the arrivals

IMG_1362.JPG

Walk towards the street ignoring the taxi drivers saying the buses area on strike. :p The sign in background says X80 bus, should be the only bus that stops here

IMG_1345.JPG

This is where the driver dropped us off, if you walk up the street on the left you'll hit the acropolis museum in a few mins. This is where you get the bus on the return. The 5pm bus arrived on time... about 10 people were waiting to board

IMG_1360.JPG

Front door service!

Walk for 7-8 min down that street (flat) and at some point you'll be directed up some stairs on your right to get up to the ticket booth. There is a parking area closer where tour buses drop off so I suppose a taxi could get closer but your only saving a few min walk and not any of the uphill climbing.

• 2 months later...
Traveling to Athens in Feb. I looked at the website oasa.gr for bus schedule and it said service is suspended. Anyone know if this is correct or another website available for current timetable? Thank you!

It may be that the service is suspended whilst there are no cruise ships in Piraeus at this time of the year.

Not sure, as the only site I saw was the one you mention. It clearly states that the bus is suspended, with no indication of when it might resume. I might be tempted to contact the Athens tourism board to ask about it.

For some info on how to get to Athens from the ship, you might want to look at Tom's Port Guides, an online site which includes info about Athens. The metro is about a mile or a little more depending upon where your ship docks, but there are some buses as well that can be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Who knows? Maybe it will be back up for the busy cruise season. Then again, it's not like Greece has a lot of money to spend right now!

I heard the bus was not the well used but it is something I'd use. We had a driver last time but want to save money this time and just see a few sites.

I heard the bus was not the well used but it is something I'd use. We had a driver last time but want to save money this time and just see a few sites.

Well, as far as I know there are still other ways to get to the historical area. If you go to http://www.TomsPortGuides.com, the author has good information on how to get in to Athens. His guide is dated 2011 so it doesn't mention the X80 but there are other alternatives, including taking the HopOnHopOff bus, walking to Metro and taking, taking a public bus from near the port, etc.

The metro has always been easy to get to before the X80 bus if it doesn't return this year. There is a good guide at cruiseportwiki

There are other ways to get there but the X80 sounds nice. My wife doesn't like to explore as much as I do so simple is better sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going on the Ancient Wonders cruise on 4th May so was disappointed to read that the x80 bus had been suspended so I emailed the OASA and received the following response:

The X80 bus will resume operation at the end of March. Thank you for your interest.

Athens Transportation - Department of Public Relations

If you purchase the X80 day pass, does this allow you to use other metro bus services or JUST the X80 to and from the port?

I am just wondering how to get around once we are in the city center, if it's too far of a walk to our next stop.

Thank you!!

If you purchase the X80 day pass, does this allow you to use other metro bus services or JUST the X80 to and from the port?

I am just wondering how to get around once we are in the city center, if it's too far of a walk to our next stop.

Thank you!!

This is from the OASA website (http://www.oasa.gr/news.php?id=funk93):

Athens Urban Transport Organization announces the new bus line X80 PIRAEUS-AKROPOLIS-SYNTAGMA EXPRESS which links OLP cruise terminal in Piraeus with the area of Acropolis and the Athens town centre.

Bus line stops at OLP cruise terminal gates, Piraeus town centre, “Sygrou – Fix” Metro Station, Acropolis and Athens town centre (Syntagma square).

Βus line stops is being connected with metro stations (\" Sygrou –Fix” and “Syntagma”) and bus lines to Athens International Airport (X96 from Piraeus and X95 from Athens- Syntagma Square).

Time schedule runs seven days per week from 7:00 am until 21:30 pm every thirty (30) minutes.

Valid ticket types: 24-hour Ticket and 3day Tourist Ticket ticket.

So you're really buying the 24-hr pass that is good for all metro and bus. The ticket is 4 euros. Another person responded to a question I had about where to buy the tickets, and he said (if he remembers correctly), there is a Kiosk outside the Cruise Terminal(s) that sells the Athens Metro day tickets.

This is from the OASA website (http://www.oasa.gr/news.php?id=funk93):

Athens Urban Transport Organization announces the new bus line X80 PIRAEUS-AKROPOLIS-SYNTAGMA EXPRESS which links OLP cruise terminal in Piraeus with the area of Acropolis and the Athens town centre.

Bus line stops at OLP cruise terminal gates, Piraeus town centre, “Sygrou – Fix” Metro Station, Acropolis and Athens town centre (Syntagma square).

Βus line stops is being connected with metro stations (\" Sygrou –Fix” and “Syntagma”) and bus lines to Athens International Airport (X96 from Piraeus and X95 from Athens- Syntagma Square).

Time schedule runs seven days per week from 7:00 am until 21:30 pm every thirty (30) minutes.

Valid ticket types: 24-hour Ticket and 3day Tourist Ticket ticket.

So you're really buying the 24-hr pass that is good for all metro and bus. The ticket is 4 euros. Another person responded to a question I had about where to buy the tickets, and he said (if he remembers correctly), there is a Kiosk outside the Cruise Terminal(s) that sells the Athens Metro day tickets.

Thank you so much! That is great. :)

Is the X80 bus back in service? It was suspended the last I heard.

From post #40:

I am going on the Ancient Wonders cruise on 4th May so was disappointed to read that the x80 bus had been suspended so I emailed the OASA and received the following response:

The X80 bus will resume operation at the end of March. Thank you for your interest.

Athens Transportation - Department of Public Relations

• 1 month later...
Hi

I've just had a look at http://www.oasa.gr and as of today, 7th April 2015, it is showing the timetable for the X80 Express Bus, so I am assuming it's back up and running. :)

Thanks. Do you, or anyone, know how to interpret the schedule that's posted for the X80? I assume the OLP is the stop closest to the cruise terminal(s), but would you assume that as of now, according to the schedule, the bus is only running once an hour? I'm a little confused as to that list of times (7:00, 8:05, 9:15 (takes 50 minutes, unlike most - rush hour madness I guess!), 10:25 etc.? Also, when it states the times, do I need to add a few minutes or possibly more to when it gets to the cruise terminal(s)/OLP stop? I know buses don't necessarily run exactly to their stated time schedule, but I'd like to at least have a better idea of when I should be at the stop.