Cherbourg France--D Day tours available??

JustDucky2

Any suggestions for visiting the D Day beaches from Cherbourg? Any known tour operators, or rental cars available at the port to do our own tour? Other worthwhile things to do for a day in Cherbourg?

Edited by JustDucky2

Any suggestions for visiting the D Day beaches from Cherbourg? Any known tour operators, or rental cars available at the port to do our own tour? Other worthwhile things to do for a day in Cherbourg?

We have booked a private tour with Alain Chesnel of Overlord Tours. I heard of him on the CC boards. His info is www.overlordtour.com and his email is AChesnel@wanadoo.fr I suggest you search this thread using his name or Overlord tours and you'll get a lot of feedback. He's a bit pricey but you get a custom tour you design. I don't know when you are cruising, but I booked in December for a May tour. This is the 65th anniversary of D-Day so be prepared for extra crowds this spring and summer. Good luck.

After traveling to over 47 different countries in the last 22 years, the best guide we ever had was Nigel Stewart. n.stewart@libertysurf.fr

He will either pick you up and take you in his car, or you can drive your own with him as a passenger. He will customize your tour anyway you want. Our teenage son wants to be a pilot had just watched the Band of Brothers DVD's and was fascinated by it. I mentioned this in an email to Nigel and he brought everything to life for him. He couldn't have been more interesting. His website is dday-guide dot com.

I think if you can entertain and inform a teen aged boy, you earn extra points. Nigel is a dedicated WWII enthusiast who has been involved with many memorials and tributes. Give his site a look, and see for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

The ships nearly always lay on an excursion. With a private guide you'll see a lot more.

The d-day beach visit is FAR more interesting than hanging round Cherbourg for the day.

A google search on d-day guide will give you a good choice.

• 8 years later...

Looking to share a small group tour for the day.

We had a small van of 8 people and used Overlord. Very pleased. Enjoyed the entire day, seeing the beaches, stopping in Sainte-Mère-Église, to see where the paratrooper landed on the church tower and then found a nice little pizza place down a side street. Absolutely no complaints.

Hi

we only decided on the day to do a trip to the D-Day beaches, all the ships tours were sold out, fortunately we were in port until 8pm, so we went to the l'Office du Tourisme which is on the way to the town from the ship and they got a local taxi driver to take us (party of 4) for 4-5hrs to Bayeux to the British cemetary and then the museum then a drive through Bayeux to Arromanches, and then onto the American Cemetary, Omaha Beach, St Mere Eglise on the way back we left at midday and got back around 5:30. it cost £240euros inc tip myself, my wife and her father together with my teenage son thought it was the best tour we had ever done, nothing could prepare us for the emotion. If you are in Cherbourg or Le Havre, its a must do. as an aside we also found the Market in Cherbourg to be excellent and the locals very friendly. there is also the aquarium/museum at the port and also tour the former french nuclear sub the 'Redoubtable' which was huge.

I wonder why this thread was moved to the 'Mediterranean Ports' board, from its original correct placing on the Western Europe board? Does the moderator believe Cherbourg to be in the Med?

It just Cruse Critic geography ;-)

If you look at the forum 'bread crumb' trail. you will see that 'France Ports' is below 'Mediterranean - Eastern and Western'

It just Cruse Critic geography ;-)

If you look at the forum 'bread crumb' trail. you will see that 'France Ports' is below 'Mediterranean - Eastern and Western'

Yes indeed, that is exactly my point! Mediterranean French ports not English Channel ones!

They should delete the 'Mediterranean ' heading altogether and just have 'France Ports' if that is the way they actually want it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm just about 3 months from being in Cherbourg and I'm struggling to find a rental car agency open on Saturday May 5 before 9 til 3... we want to drive to Mont St. Michel with 4 people on our own. Rental car agencies open at 9, some close at noon because it's a Saturday, some have their nap time hours, which puts us tight for returning to the ship after drop off. Ship is in port 7-4. I would love to find out that we can just get off the ship and there will be someone there we can negotiate with to take us.