Can anyone just off the Crown tell me about the Anytime Dining Waits?

atdahop

Concerned about the Crown and the waits for Anytine Dining. Just off the Golden and there was a night where they ran out of beepers and we had to stand in line for 30 minutes. With the extra passenger deck how much more crowded is it? Is it better to select Traditional?

I know it is mostly just opinion but my DH was not happy with the wait and I want to avoid this with my next cruise. I know that he does not want early traditional.

I would imagine it's different for every voyage and every day on each voyage and also dependent on what time one arrives for dinner...
It does. :) It depends on the itinerary, ports, time of the year and make-up of the passengers. Every cruise is different.

We were on the Crown in Sept and had AT and we ate after 7:30 all but one night and only waited 5 mins or less. Most passengers decided on the 5:30 set time and we went at 6 pm and Da Vinci was full and we were sent downstairs to Michelangelo were it was half set time and half AT and we waited 10 mins.

I also noticed when they ask you if you will sit with others or alone, and when couples said alone they normally waited longer since a 2 person table was not available.

OK...We were on the Crown for a 2 week B2B. The first week, we had no wait to get into the MDR usually around 5:30. The second week, they had a group of about 1,000 who liked to be together. We had to wait every night but two. One night we gave up and went to the show first. We ate about 8:30 and we had no problem getting in.

One night we showed up with two other couples and all of us wanted to share. We waited about 5 minutes and we were let to the Traditional dining room where we were immediately seated.

So, there is no telling from week to week what can happen.

Edited by AKman2495

I was on last week - they were not issuing beepers. First night there was a half hour wait in line at 6:40. When we got to the front of the line the wait for a table for two was only a few minutes, but we waited for 20 minutes before our order was taken. They only took reservations the dine line would make were for 5, 5:15 or 7:30 & later. The most unaccommodating restaurant management we have ever encountered on Princess.

I was on the Crown two weeks ago. We had traditional dining. I recommend it if you don't want to wait. I saw long lines at anytime during the peak hours. Several people who had anytime complained to me about 1/2 hour waits. I do not think you could make reservations except for very early or very late in the evening.

My one experience with the anytime dining room was open seating night the evening in San Fran. I thought the maitre d' was disagreeable. We arrived with 3 of our party of 4 and told the maitre d' the fourth would arrive shortly. He told us that he would not seat us until the fourth arrived and told us to stand aside. We left and went to one of the other dining rooms where they seated us promptly.

We were on the Crown Sept 27 and I would agree it depends on when you like to dine and the table size you want.

For us the anytime dining room is open at 5:30 but there is only one dining room for AT until 7;30 when the Davinci opens up for AT.

If you are wanting a table for two you may have to wait - especially on busy nights like formal nights.

Also dining room had waits right after Captains Welcome Aboard Show and right after the Captain Circle Party but it was not as bad as i have seen it before.

We usually dined later - 7:45 usually and we had no problem. The dining room was busy when we first got there but it got quiet fast.

Vickie

I was on last week - they were not issuing beepers. First night there was a half hour wait in line at 6:40. When we got to the front of the line the wait for a table for two was only a few minutes, but we waited for 20 minutes before our order was taken. They only took reservations the dine line would make were for 5, 5:15 or 7:30 & later. The most unaccommodating restaurant management we have ever encountered on Princess.

I can understand your frustration in waiting but could you just think of what would happen if they did give out reservations for 6:40PM? :eek:

You arrived at the peak time of the evening and then can't understand why the service was so slow. Didn't you realize that possibility that others were seated before you arrived?

The restaurant only has so much capability of seating & feeding people & if you can't adjust your schedule accordingly then you'll just have to live with waiting longer or simply go to the buffet & serve yourself.

We have never had to wait and we always use anytime dinning. If you wait until 6:00 to 7:00 PM to eat then there is always people waiting. We always eat at 5:30 (we like to eat early even at home).

Island Princess 2008 Alaska

Island Princess 2009 Alaska

Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess 2012 Alaska

Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 New England

Future Cruises

Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean

Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Just off the Crown 10/11 sailing. The first formal night we tried to make a reservation for 5:30, they said none available for table for 2 until 7:30. So we ate at 7:30, a little line, no waiting. After that we ate at 7:30 every night, a little line, no waiting, even on the second formal night. It looked pretty crowded at 5:30.