Train-Seattle to Vancouver

Italy52

Thinking of trying something new for a future cruise to Alaska. We usually fly but thought it might be fun to take the train from Seattle into Vancouver. Would love to hear answers from people who have taken the train.

Upon arrival in Seattle we will probably take a town car/cab to a hotel near the train station and spend the night --- any recommendations for a nice hotel?

Any suggestions on how to get to the train station the next morning and what time should we arrive?

At the train station do you turn over your luggage much like you do on an airline?

We will be traveling in June; how is the scenery?

Do you go through Immigration on the train?

Upon arrival in Vancouver where would we claim our luggage and are there cabs available to take us to a hotel?

Many thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it.

Thinking of trying something new for a future cruise to Alaska. We usually fly but thought it might be fun to take the train from Seattle into Vancouver. Would love to hear answers from people who have taken the train.

Upon arrival in Seattle we will probably take a town car/cab to a hotel near the train station and spend the night --- any recommendations for a nice hotel?

Any suggestions on how to get to the train station the next morning and what time should we arrive? It depends on which train you'll be taking.

At the train station do you turn over your luggage much like you do on an airline?

We will be traveling in June; how is the scenery? The weather should be great.

Do you go through Immigration on the train? I think you'll clear customs in Vancouver or at the US/Canada border.

Upon arrival in Vancouver where would we claim our luggage and are there cabs available to take us to a hotel? You'll find a fair number of cabs near the station.

Currently there are two trains from Seattle to Vancouver daily.

Any suggestions on how to get to the train station the next morning and what time should we arrive?

We will be traveling in June; how is the scenery?

Do you go through Immigration on the train?

Upon arrival in Vancouver where would we claim our luggage and are there cabs available to take us to a hotel?

1. Any downtown hotel will be convenient to the station; the choice will depend on your price point, etc.

2. Take a cab from your hotel, and plan on arriving at least 45 min. before the train departs (i.e. before 7 AM with the current schedule.)

3. You can check bags or carry them on. Why not refer to the Amtrak website for definitive information, rather than relying on IBB responses? http://www.amtrakcascades.com/RidersGuide.htm

4. The scenery is very nice for much of the trip. Sit on the left side as you travel north.

5. Border controls are at the Vancouver station.

6. There are ample taxis to take you to hotels in Vancouver.

I take the train to Vanc a lot. If you look on the Seattle fourm of tripadvisor this question comes up a lot. You will like the view on the train. You fill out a declaration form on the train so customs is very easy.

The Amtrak Cascades is an excellent service, it takes all the stress out of driving or flying. Consider upgrading to Biz Class, seating is 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Northbound sit on the left side for great views of the water...about 1/3 of the trip is along the water. There will be a cab line at the station and a $10 fare will get you to almost any downtown hotel. There are no hotels close to the station you would want to stay in....or at least admit you stayed there.:)

Here are a list of hotels that are within 6 to 8 blocks of the pier and any of them would be a great stay:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Fairmont Vancouver

Tower at the Terminal City Club

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place

Sheraton at the Wall Centre

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

Thanks Dan and Putterdude, I really appreciate your input.

Will definitely check out the Seattle Trip Advisor forum.

If we decide to take the train, we will definitely opt for business class seating so thanks for the tip.

One final question: Is the train always reliable? I would hate to have to take a shuttle bus to Vancouver.

We booked a cruise thru princess and it included the bus to Vancouver. We opted off the bus and stayed the night in Seattle and took a cab in the am to the train station. That was our first time on a train and LOVED it. We got off in Vancouver grabbed a cab and were on the boat by noon. Absolutely loved it and would do it again in an instant. We stayed at a Holiday Inn within walking distance 6-7 blocks of pike market and a few blocks from the space needle so we spent the afternoon evening before walking around and seeing the sites. As a CC stated earlier be sure to sit on the left side heading North, we saw quite a few eagles and it was just plain relaxing, but I think the major thing was the train was by far cheaper than the transfers thru Princess.

I'll let you know in May. Here's what we've got planned (and have already paid for):

Fly to Seattle on Saturday - take light rail to Pioneer Square station and stay at Marriott Courtyard on 2nd and Cherry. Have family in town so will visit them.

Take Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver on Sunday at 7:40 AM - will take cab from hotel to train station - it isn't very far, but with luggage, a cab will be necessary. Booking the train early saves some $$. Our tickets were on $29 each.

Will take a cab and stay at the Ramada Limited in Vancouver on Pender Street and do a foot tour of downtown Vancouver and take the bus/rail to Stanley Park and such - still researching. Vancouver has a fabulous rail/bus system. Vancouver is pretty pricey for hotels.

Will take a cab to Canada Place on Monday and sail out on Monday afternoon.

One final question: Is the train always reliable? I would hate to have to take a shuttle bus to Vancouver.

During cruise season, generally, yes. In the winter they sometimes have mudslides that close the tracks for a few days, and Amtrak substitutes a bus--but that's pretty unlikely in May.

I know that during the winter there can be the occasional issue with a washout or even a barge hitting a bridge but during rest of the year I have not heard of a problem. It is certainly nothing that I would worry about.

also, since the train is starting in Seattle its not coming from somewhere else so it almost always 'leaves' on time. You can check the amtrak.com website and look up arrival times for a few days to see what the arrival pattern is.

I'll let you know in May. Here's what we've got planned (and have already paid for):

Fly to Seattle on Saturday - take light rail to Pioneer Square station and stay at Marriott Courtyard on 2nd and Cherry. Have family in town so will visit them.

Take Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver on Sunday at 7:40 AM - will take cab from hotel to train station - it isn't very far, but with luggage, a cab will be necessary. Booking the train early saves some $$. Our tickets were on $29 each.

Will take a cab and stay at the Ramada Limited in Vancouver on Pender Street and do a foot tour of downtown Vancouver and take the bus/rail to Stanley Park and such - still researching. Vancouver has a fabulous rail/bus system. Vancouver is pretty pricey for hotels.

Will take a cab to Canada Place on Monday and sail out on Monday afternoon.

Please do report on how your plans went as our thoughts are very similar to yours --- right down to reserving the same Marriott. The $29 train ticket price -- I assume that is for coach class?

Thanks again for your reply.

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and suggestions, I appreciate it. Now, the "pro and cons" list needs to be put together for various scenarios. Thank goodness I have time to weigh all the options.

Please do report on how your plans went as our thoughts are very similar to yours --- right down to reserving the same Marriott. The $29 train ticket price -- I assume that is for coach class?

Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, that price is for coach tickets. That Marriott Courtyard is a great hotel. We have stayed there several times. If you're at all interested in baseball, the Mariners stadium is close by - a quick light rail ride. If the Mariners are in town, it would be a fun way to spend an evening. Unfortunately for me (fortunately for DW), the Mariners are on the road when we're in town. :)

The Silver Cloud - Seattle Stadium is also a nice hotel - close to the train station. http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlestadium/

Yes, that price is for coach tickets. That Marriott Courtyard is a great hotel. We have stayed there several times. If you're at all interested in baseball, the Mariners stadium is close by - a quick light rail ride. If the Mariners are in town, it would be a fun way to spend an evening. Unfortunately for me (fortunately for DW), the Mariners are on the road when we're in town. :)

The Silver Cloud - Seattle Stadium is also a nice hotel - close to the train station. http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlestadium/

Thanks for the info. Like your Mariners' reference; I'm more like your wife.

• 3 weeks later...
During cruise season, generally, yes. In the winter they sometimes have mudslides that close the tracks for a few days, and Amtrak substitutes a bus--but that's pretty unlikely in May.

In Nov and December, the tracks for passenger trains were closed most of the time- only open 5 days. For the first 3 weeks of January, the tracks were open due the fact that the land and water were frozen on the hills above the tracks. Since January, tracks were closed several days due to more slides. Passenger trains cannot go on the tracks for 48 hrs after a slide occurred. In the summer the frequency of slides slow down to maybe 2 or 3 a month. See video below for a slide hitting a train in December.

In Nov and December, the tracks for passenger trains were closed most of the time- only open 5 days. For the first 3 weeks of January, the tracks were open due the fact that the land and water were frozen on the hills above the tracks. Since January, tracks were closed several days due to more slides. Passenger trains cannot go on the tracks for 48 hrs after a slide occurred. In the summer the frequency of slides slow down to maybe 2 or 3 a month. See video below for a slide hitting a train in December.

Seriously?? Can you provide documentation of even ONE slide during cruise season on the Seattle-Vancouver route? They are almost exclusively a winter phenomenon.

Stuff can happen year round, but there is NO significant chance, in a year with anywhere near normal rainfall, of a slide closing the tracks in summer.

Seattle actually gets less average rainfall in July and August than Tucson! Dry hillsides don't normally slide.

Archived