Carnival Dream from New Orleans Passenger Type

Cruiser7789

Hello, all!

My family is thinking about taking the Carnival Dream cruise leaving from New Orleans in March during Spring Break and I have a question about the types of passengers on the ship. We have only cruised to Alaska and all the passengers were very respectful. I am worried for this cruise that the passengers may be a little more... unruly... to put it nicely, given the city that it is leaving from and the types of people that live there. Does anyone have experience with cruises leaving from New Orleans that can give something insight as to the types of passengers on the ship. We have a child that we would not like to expose to unruly guests. Thank you!

OMG Are you serious? Every cruise has a different mix of passengers. If you are really that concerned and fear that your cruise may be a bust, don't cruise. Go hibernate where you don't have to deal with the kind of people you obviously dislike.

Wow, just wow.

We sailed from New Orleans 2x. Our first cruise was on NCL Jewel in October. The demographics on that cruise was mainly couples in their late 40's - early 60's. Very few families and younger folks. This was perfect for us as we were in our late 40's celebrating our 25th anniversary with just the 2 of us. Our second cruise was on CCL Dream in May. The demographics on this cruise was a lot of families with kids graduating from high school and in college. Which again was perfect for us as we brought along DS who was 22 at the time and had just graduated from college and DD was 19. While the 2nd cruise was a more "lively", I would call it "unruly" and we didn't run into any disrespectful passengers on either cruise. In fact our Dream cruise was one of my favorite CCL cruises so far.

Even though I believe you have mislabeled the great folks in NOLA, I would say that any sailing during spring break is liable to have a lot of unruly folks on board no matter where they come from! If you are looking for a quiet, sedate cruise with less rowdy folks, you might want to try Azamara, Crystal, or one of the other up scale cruise lines.

Wow. When I lived in NOLA, I cruised from there twice. Most of the other passengers I met had flown in for the cruise so to base the ruliness of the people on the departure port seems very odd. I also lived in Washington State and cruised from Seattle to Alaska on which I encountered a number of passengers whom I found to be unruly but I did not attribute their behavior to being a Seattleite.

OP seems to believe that New Orleans is a hotbed of ruffians and rowdies. Aside from that uninformed bit of prejudicial thinking, he does have a reason to be concerned about the ambience on board a low cost Carnival cruise during Spring break - but that concern might be appropriate regardless of port of embarkation.

My first Carnival cruise was a Spring Break cruise on Carnival Freedom sailing from Port Everglades. It is probably my favorite Carnival cruise of the 4 I have sailed. I saw nothing inappropriate; I saw lots of people of all ages having FUN and enjoying their cruise.

Putting political correctness aside for a minute, cruises do have a tendency to take on the flavor of the home port due to so many passengers being from the area. I'm not going to fault the OP for asking. I'll just leave it at that.

But that said, I agree that the bigger concern should be a Carnival cruise over Spring Break.

I've cruised out of New Orleans several times, including spring break time. Ships are huge, with different places for different kinds of people. The only thing I ever noticed about a spring break cruise was that there were kids at the Mexican ports whose sole purpose was to drink where it was legal. Not a problem because we were on the beach or snorkeling, but standing in line to re-board the ship with children was a little bit dicey because the college kids were yelling and swearing. That was the only time I noticed them- I think they slept all day and were in the bars after I'd gone to bed.

They are almost always people who have come from other areas, BTW. New Orleans is only rowdier than other places during Mardi Gras. There are also ships going out of Mobile now, if you'd rather board there.

I'm going to bypass the not-so-subtle racist undertones of your question and point out that ANY vacation spot is likely to be more rowdy than usual during spring break season. If you don't want to deal with that kind of atmosphere, then pick very expensive trips. It won't eliminate the craziness but should reduce it slightly, since most college students don't have unlimited budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums