Group Tours from Le Havre to Normandy Beaches

Can anyone suggest tour companies that will put together groups, departing from Le Havre to tour the beaches? Overlord will only accept groups already formed. We are 4 adults, on the Ruby Princess 7/10 sailing.

Many thanks!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1817191

Link to your Roll Call

Suggest posting on your Roll Call.

I used OverLord for a Tour for eight of us.

Did not have eight when I booked them.

I didn't have any luck finding one when I tried for our 7/22 BI cruise; luckily, someone else on our roll call reserved a tour (not with Overlord, but I can't think of the company name right now) when there were only 4 of us & then found 4 more.

Go to your roll call and ask if there is any room in an already formed tour. I highly recommend Overlord they were great. You might want to check old roll calls to find other tour companies that were used. The problem is that tours were formed months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

We are signed up for the Ship's excursion on the same cruise. We tried OverlordTours as well. Is the ship's tour acceptable, or should we be trying for a commercial one? We have 4 people.

NEAL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can anyone suggest tour companies that will put together groups, departing from Le Havre to tour the beaches? Overlord will only accept groups already formed. We are 4 adults, on the Ruby Princess 7/10 sailing.

Many thanks!

My husband and I would like to join your group

Would you be able to find the name of the company that you will be using and forward it to me?

Thanks1

If you go to the France board -- which is where Le Havre and the Normandy beaches are located -- you'll find a post on page two titled D-Day tour options. I've listed a number of private tour operators there.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We are signed up for the Ship's excursion on the same cruise. We tried OverlordTours as well. Is the ship's tour acceptable, or should we be trying for a commercial one?

A couple of thoughts...

A small group tour is always better than a ship's tour unless your ship offers the option of a small group tour. (Oceania does but the prices for this privilege are even higher than the standard ship's tour.)

I know that Overlord Tours is the most popular name on the CC board, but it is not the most popular on Trip Advisor. Anyone hoping to participate in a small group private tour can feel confident contacting the names that are well reviewed on Trip Advisor.

My husband and I worked with a private guide who does not offer cruise excursions. There are not enough positive adjectives in the English language to capture our appreciation for his tour. I offer this to reassure others that you won't be settling if you use the services of someone other than Overlord.

Many thanks!

We used Normandy Sightseeing Tours in May. I formed a group of 8 that was met in LeHarve. They were excellent. Contact them to ask if they will put the group together or post on your roll call to find enough to form your own group. Cost was 100 Euro per person. Well worth it.

You can add 2 persons to your group: my husband and me. We love to go with a group. The Princess shore excursion charges over $200.00 per person.

I am not very good at this format, just joined the roll call yesterday

Edited by mn77

Many thanks!

My husband and I would like to join your group. How many more do you need to form a group

Between Overlord and Normandy Sightseeing Tours-which is the best? Trip Advisor gives good reviews for both. Concerned about ship not getting into port for some reason and not getting refund. Terms and conditions state to apply for refund to your travel insurance company and not sure how effective that is. Has anyone had experience in this matter? Thank you.

Between Overlord and Normandy Sightseeing Tours-which is the best? Trip Advisor gives good reviews for both. Concerned about ship not getting into port for some reason and not getting refund. Terms and conditions state to apply for refund to your travel insurance company and not sure how effective that is. Has anyone had experience in this matter? Thank you.

I doubt you'll find many people who have toured with both companies and can give you a comparative response.

As for being charged if the ship does not dock, most good tour companies will not charge you in that instance. I suggest you email whatever companies you might hire and ask them that specific question. When we toured with Overlord two years ago (they were fantastic, btw), I don't believe we would have been charged had our ship not been able to dock in Le Havre.

But do confirm all of that in advance.

I doubt you'll find many people who have toured with both companies and can give you a comparative response.

As for being charged if the ship does not dock, most good tour companies will not charge you in that instance. I suggest you email whatever companies you might hire and ask them that specific question. When we toured with Overlord two years ago (they were fantastic, btw), I don't believe we would have been charged had our ship not been able to dock in Le Havre.

But do confirm all of that in advance.

Both companies are well regarded and rated. For our private tour, they required a 100 Euro deposit with the balance 680 Euro due on the day of the tour. The deposit was not refundable if the ship did not make port. We thought that was reasonable given the very low chance of that happening. If their refund policies are not clear on their web sites, contact them by email for clarification. You have no risk of loss if you book a ship tour but your cost will be 40-50% higher per person and you will suffer the consequences of riding on a 40 passenger bus rather than a 8-16 person van or mini bus. I'd opt for a tour with Overlord or Normandy and take the small risk.

I emailed Normandy Sightseeing Tours and got reply. Their Program 1: the landing beaches / US Sector Pointe du Hoc Omaha Beach

US Cemetery + Interpretive Centre Longues sur Mer is what I am interested in.

A full day private from/to Le Havre

Duration: 8-9 hours

Up to 4 people: 740 Euros

Up to 6 people: 760 Euros

Up to 8 people: 780 Euros (97.5 € per person)

It includes: Driver-Guide + vehicle

Not included: Museum entrance fees and Guide’s lunch (Taken with you)

I do not like the paying for the guide's lunch part.

It includes: Driver-Guide + vehicle

Not included: Museum entrance fees and Guide’s lunch (Taken with you)

I do not like the paying for the guide's lunch part.

Then you have a very simple solution...don't use this company. :)

• 1 year later...

We were 2 couples and booked a private tour so we could customize it to our interests. Our guide, Pierre was a young but superb student of history, and we accomplished more than we ever thought possible. The value of having a private tour more than outweighed the slightly higher cost. This is the second time we have used Overlord Day Tours, and both times their expertise and logistics have exceeded expectations. The vans are comfortable, the guides know their history, and the experience was more than expected. This company enjoys our highest possible recommendation.

We booked with Bayeux Shuttle for our trip in July. I read good reviews on trip advisor. I liked that you can book for as many seats as you need, and it is a relatively small group with 16 on a mini bus.