FYI "Made in Roatan" shop

39august

This shop is part of a missionary outreach program. The basic tenant is to help the natives improve their lives by education (including English) and giving them chances to profit from their work. This shop has lots of inexpensive, attractive items for sale and the artisans receive the bulk of the sale cost. It is about 2 blocks from the Coxen Hole pier to the right of the exit area. My friend is part of a group who spend a couple of weeks in Roatan each year for the past few years, helping at a mission sponsored school. One of the main goals is to teach the children English, as my friend explained, so they will be able to get better jobs. The only decently paid jobs on the island are with the tourist industry, and for that, English is a must.

We visited the shop in 2013 and really liked it. We bought several pieces that some of the children created. School let out as we were in the shop so a few of the kids stopped by to see how their pieces were doing.

Also- had really good meat pies across the street for a $1.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to steal the thunder of the Made in Roatan Shop, but a little further into Coxen's Hole on the right/ocean side of the street is Yaba Ding Ding, a shop that sells native crafts produced by local women to financially support the women who use the traditional methods to make the native artforms.

Fabric, Lenca pottery, and wooden artifacts may be purchased there; we picked up a Jaguar pot to take home with us.

Check out both places, and support the local industry and arts.:cool:

Not to steal the thunder of the Made in Roatan Shop, but a little further into Coxen's Hole on the right/ocean side of the street is Yaba Ding Ding, a shop that sells native crafts produced by local women to financially support the women who use the traditional methods to make the native artforms.

Fabric, Lenca pottery, and wooden artifacts may be purchased there; we picked up a Jaguar pot to take home with us.

Check out both places, and support the local industry and arts.:cool:

How far is it from the pier? If I ask, will someone be able to give us directions?

• 2 months later...

Made in Roatan is on my must-do list during our port day there in March. I have a friend that has both cruised and done land trips to Roatan and loves this shop. She takes jewelry making things along with her and donates it to them, and always brings back some of their handmade things.

Thanks for the info, I always try to buy something local hand made at every place we visit. The last time in Roatan we found the Cameo Factory. Bought a pair of handmade earrings made right in front of me. Absolutely gorgeous work. The make them out of shells. You can google it and read about it.