Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

So are you saying that a room will be designated "obstructed view" when you book it? We booked through a travel agent and requested a balcony room in the middle of the ship. Nothing on our information says it's an obstructed view, but I wonder if being on the 7th floor if there is a possibility it could be.

Go to the RCI website, click on "ships" under search for cruises, then click on the Allure, then deck plans and find your cabin...you will see info on obstructed cabins at the bottom or on the side...

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...
When we ( DW & I ) took our first 3 of our 29 cruises so far, on the Carnival Sensation ( ’95) , the RCI Majesty Of The Seas ( ’96 ) and Carnival Paradise ( ’98) , there literally were almost NO balconies on cruise ships yet except for the very rich. They were called “suites”. I called them “cabins of the Gods”…And, like many, I was…cheap..there, I said it!! CHEAP..not “thrifty” or “careful with my money”…CHEAP..a cabin is just for sleeping, right? That was what I thought..more on that later...our Carnival cabins on both cruises were outside window cabins, about 185 square feet . But our inside cabin on the Majesty was a puny 122 sq ft- wow, that was tight! In fact, so tight, that I knocked my tiny wife ( 4’11” & 102 lbs.) down no less than 6 times during our cruise as we were trying to walk about inside our mole-like cabin!! I am 100 pounds heavier than her, and 10 inches taller…she didn’t have a chance. We realized that while we were going to get ready for dinner, or to go out, one person must be in the bathroom ( yeah, that was enormous ,too, LOL..) , while the other person got ready/ dressed. We had a great time on all 3 cruises, but I can tell you one thing: we never looked forward to going back to our cabins like we do now…even the Carnival window cabins had small portholes that you had to climb up on a ledge over the bed to see out- not easy nor fun for 40 somethings already…

Then in 1999 we were invited to preview the brand new Princess ship, the Grand Princess. At 109,000 tons she was, at that time, the biggest, newest, most innovative cruise ship in the world ( Carnival Destiny was the first ship to surpass 100,000 tons in ’96) . Princess gave us Carte Blanche to tour the ship on our own. She was lovely, and soooo much bigger than the 70,000- 73,000 ton ships we had been on before. But the real eye-opener was when we toured the cabins and saw our first balcony cabin …WOW!!!! It was a beautiful sunset evening in Fort Lauderdale and as my wife & I went out on our first balcony ever, we were breathless! “Oh my God”, said my wife, “look at this view..it’s so amazing!!” . There was one thing we both noticed immediately: we FELT the water! We FELT the salt air. We FELT the wind. Our 5th wedding anniversary was coming up in 6 months ( May 2000 ) , and my wife said, “why don’t we book a balcony for our anniversary and see if we like it?”. We did, we loved it, and now, sadly for my VISA/ Master Charge or AMEX, we are hooked on balconies for life. Thanks, cruise ship balcony! And here is why:

The Connection

A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the sea and makes you feel like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the ocean passing your stateroom? Having a balcony completely changes the type of cruise you will have. Water is very therapeutic, and sitting out in the open air and reflecting is a great way to start or wind down the day. I am almost in a trance while out there, especially on those gorgeous days at sea on the Caribbean or Mediterrean. It is mesmorizing, isn’t it? Sure, the mountains, hiking, nature walks, even the Grand Canyon are great, but to me, nothing comes close to sitting on a lounge chair on my balcony and watching the waves & white caps, and seeing the birds swoop down and get a fish, or seeing dolphins swim along side the ship right below you, while the cool sea breezes caress your face & body with that soothing salt air….Wow, what a rush!! I am out there NO less than 5-6 times a day, even if for only a minute, to be part of the sea experience. Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Convenience & Privacy

We all know that sail away parties can be a blast, and for me, it signifies the start of my cruise vacation. But sometimes to jockey for space ( like we tried to do on a recent cruise on the Allure Of The Seas) on the top deck with thousands of other people, is difficult. Doing it from your own balcony just makes more sense. Another great time to appreciate a balcony is on a sea day. I love sea days because they truly are for relaxing. Like most passengers, we go to the pool deck, be it the adult pool area, or if they don’t have one, the main pool area. We get there usually by 9 or 10 AM to get chairs in a decent location. Like others, we enjoy being at sea, reading, listening to my IPOD, checking out the people, listening to the Caribbean band ( one of my fav things to do- to me, the reggae band is part of the cruise experience!) , having a tropical drink or adult beverage, etc. Lunch, then more fun in the sun. The sun can really take a lot out of you, and after 5 or 6 hours in the heat, we usually head back to our cabin to detox a bit. I can tell you this: I was NEVER in a hurry to get back to our “broom closet” inside cabin because there was nothing to see or feel in there. But now, when I walk to open my cabin door, I can’t wait to get in there and check out what’s happening at sea!!! Sometimes there were other cruise ships out there and I would take my binocs ( standard for balcony use for me!) and check out what ship it was. Or maybe you were passing a beautiful island…maybe the white caps have picked up a bit…but getting back to opening the door to our cabin, it’s so nice after 5-6 hours of hearing sometimes thousands or even just hundreds of people having fun on the pool deck, the band, the NOISE, etc…then you walk into your cabin, and the calmness and quiet hits you- it’s so tranquil..and then you walk out onto your balcony and just hear the waves, the ocean breezes , feel the warm salt air….aaaahhh…finally, if you’re a couple, nightime brings another dimension…many leave the balcony doors open to hear, smell & feel the sea at night…the rest you can use your imagination, I’m sure!!! A cabin as you can see, or imagine, is not just for sleeping & showering…if you have a non-balcony cabin, look what you’re missing!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Open Air Dining

Open air dining? Yes, please! Sure, you can go upstairs and dine with all the others, sometimes 1000-2000 people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But sometimes you just want to breakaway from the crowds, order room service ( which is included in your cruise fare ) , and enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and even a late night snack on a private table for two . With 24 hour room service, any meal can be enjoyed on your balcony. You don’t even have to order room service. You can go to the main dining room, or your favorite specialty venue and take the meal to go..food, wine or your favorite beverage, the sun, or moonlight, alone, or with company, just you & the sea..magical!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

The Weather and unexpected wonders

It’s always nice to know what the weather is like before you head out for the day.When my wife & I had our inside cabin, I ordered room service ( pretty boring in a dark 122 Sq ft cabin), ate, then got into our swimming outfits to go to the pool deck on our first sea day..we emerged from our mole-like cabin and discovered that NO, we were not going to sun bathe that day as the sun deck had turned into a rain deck. We were the only idiots standing at the doors of the pool deck ready for nothing…

Another thing that you miss out on if you don’t have a balcony- a thunderstorm. As long as you are not on some small boat or vessel, a thunderstorm at sea is one of the most awe inspiring things I’ve ever seen. And I was able to experience it because of one thing- my balcony. It is really an amazing sight to see the dark clouds form in the horizon, and the lightening, not to mention the waves rising ( not too high, don’t worry!)…it almost looks like the clouds are bending down to meet the sea..it is powerful, beautiful, and sometimes frightening, but very, very cool! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Conclusion

Balconies are like cruising- they’re addictive… the late Robert Palmer said it so well in his 1986 song, “Addicted To Love”…I would change the words & title and say, “no doubt about it you’re addicted to balconies”….there is one thing balconies are not good for, my wife tells me- your hair. But I think most would trade a good hair day for a relaxing day at sea on your balcony. But still, ladies, trust what my wife says, leave the curling iron at home, LOL…

And finally, if you find yourself thinking about booking your first balcony on a cruise, you might hear this from the Gods Of Verandahs whispering a line similar to a line in the movie, Field Of Dreams..” If you book it, you will love it”…Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

“Won’t You Let Me Take You On A Sea Cruise”

Such a wonderful commentary about balconies on ships....when we went on our first cruise, in 2004, it was a balcony on Navigator with other couples who had been on many cruises in the past between them. We were novices.

I can barely remember the experience of being on Navigator, but I can remember the enjoyment of the balcony.

Months later we went on Majesty, were the only balconies are JS, so we took an outside cabin with a window. It was small but OK....we so loved the ship, we have cruised on her many times....now we take the largest of the OV cabins on Deck 9, even though it doesn't have a balcony. It is just fine for us....we have so much fun on Majesty, we truly aren't in our room much....and the cabins on this deck are fine.

On other ships, we do enjoy balconies and in June went on Allure. We wanted a different experience so we booked a balcony overlooking Central Park. It was wonderful, but I did miss seeing the ocean. Standing on the deck watching the soft movement of the ocean, I missed. But I also enjoyed seeing things that were going on below in CP from my balcony. I watched a beautiful couple take their wedding photos in CP....so nice.

So next time we cruise Allure or go on Oasis or Oasis III, we will take a balcony cabin overlooking Boardwalk, near the Aqua Theater. We will be able to see the ocean, and activities going on below on Boardwalk. I guess that will be the best of both.

Such a wonderful commentary about balconies on ships....when we went on our first cruise, in 2004, it was a balcony on Navigator with other couples who had been on many cruises in the past between them. We were novices.

I can barely remember the experience of being on Navigator, but I can remember the enjoyment of the balcony.

Months later we went on Majesty, were the only balconies are JS, so we took an outside cabin with a window. It was small but OK....we so loved the ship, we have cruised on her many times....now we take the largest of the OV cabins on Deck 9, even though it doesn't have a balcony. It is just fine for us....we have so much fun on Majesty, we truly aren't in our room much....and the cabins on this deck are fine.

On other ships, we do enjoy balconies and in June went on Allure. We wanted a different experience so we booked a balcony overlooking Central Park. It was wonderful, but I did miss seeing the ocean. Standing on the deck watching the soft movement of the ocean, I missed. But I also enjoyed seeing things that were going on below in CP from my balcony. I watched a beautiful couple take their wedding photos in CP....so nice.

So next time we cruise Allure or go on Oasis or Oasis III, we will take a balcony cabin overlooking Boardwalk, near the Aqua Theater. We will be able to see the ocean, and activities going on below on Boardwalk. I guess that will be the best of both.

Thank you for the kind words..Majesty cabins are so small, which was probably one reason you weren't in your cabin much, as you say..when we were in our "broom closet" cabin on the Majesty, I didn't want to go back there, either......I could not ever take a Central Pk or Boardwalk cabin, as I'm simply too mesmorized by the sea and all it's beauties...I can people watch a little, but I'd rather "sea watch" and I can always watch what's going on in those places from above on higher decks...got a Junior Suite ON THE BUMP for our Oct Oasis cruise for my wife's b'day...can't wait!!

Big Al

Thank you for the kind words..Majesty cabins are so small, which was probably one reason you weren't in your cabin much, as you say..when we were in our "broom closet" cabin on the Majesty, I didn't want to go back there, either......I could not ever take a Central Pk or Boardwalk cabin, as I'm simply too mesmorized by the sea and all it's beauties...I can people watch a little, but I'd rather "sea watch" and I can always watch what's going on in those places from above on higher decks...got a Junior Suite ON THE BUMP for our Oct Oasis cruise for my wife's b'day...can't wait!!

Big Al

I spoke the truth.....the kindness was extra! One thing about Her Majesty, is yes, her cabins are small; and yes as the oldest ship in the fleet she doesn't have all the WOW of her bigger sisters; but you do have a great time. That is a credit to the staff and crew on her. Since at times you have an unexpected sea day, when she can't tender into CocoCay....the crew makes up for that with putting in place lots of other activities to keep cruisers busy. Even with a day at Coco Cay they make sure to put on some typical 'cruise happenings'.

I believe before she is retired everyone who can, should escape for a short weekend on her....then you will really enjoy the amenities on her bigger sisters, and understand what cruising was like in history.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note..just got a call from some friends I sent in their FIRST balcony cabin after EIGHT straight inside cabins in a row- They RAVED about their balcony cabin on the Freedom Of The Seas!! The did everything I told them to do and even printed this guide out & took with them ( impressed they did,LOL..)...their favs? breakfast on the 1st sea day on a beautiful Caribbean morning, sunsets ( they were facing west on way down), chillin' after a nice day in ports ( about 4-5 PM), AND one of my favs, late at night when the sea is so serene & you can see the stars out on a clear night.."It's AMAZING what you miss in an inside cabin that we saw on our balcony..it's like 2 completely different cruises.." he remarked.....my friend Roger even said, "No more cheapo for me- you convinced me! balcony all the way from now on!"..Now that 's when I say, THANKS, CRUISE SHIP BALCONY!!!

Big Al

We've had inside cabins thus far - after our first cruise when I insisted on an ov and found that the porthole was locked shut (due to bad weather) for much of the time. We have managed perfectly well, even though I have to spend a lot of time resting in our cabin.

It's now just 4 days to our first ever balcony experience, to the med and adriatic. I'm really looking forward to it - but also frightened that I will never be content with an inside again (which would mean fewer cruises as the piggy bank is limited)!

We've had inside cabins thus far - after our first cruise when I insisted on an ov and found that the porthole was locked shut (due to bad weather) for much of the time. We have managed perfectly well, even though I have to spend a lot of time resting in our cabin.

It's now just 4 days to our first ever balcony experience, to the med and adriatic. I'm really looking forward to it - but also frightened that I will never be content with an inside again (which would mean fewer cruises as the piggy bank is limited)!

Congrats on your first balcony!!! Remember my tips..jot them down or print out my suggestions..ALWAYS go out there MINIMUM 4-5x a day- always 1st thing after you get up & last thing before you go to sleep- it's soooo nice out there on a moonlit night... a balcony cabin completely changes your cruise experience- for the good,LOL...how nice it will be to rest with the balcony door open & you can hear the waves & the wind- awesome!!..try the breakfast thing once..order the night before from your cabin & leave on door...any questions before you go, let me know..if not, have a great cruise & ENJOY YOUR BALCONY!!!!

Big Al

Thanks Al,

I don't need to take notes, your suggestions fit in exactly with what I want from a balcony :D We chose an extra-large one so that I will be able to have a proper lounger (have cleared this with shore office, just hope that it actually happens once aboard!). I'm not a sun worshipper but will be happy to rest in the shade - or even swathed in blankets if the weather is cooler across the BoB.

Thanks Al,

I don't need to take notes, your suggestions fit in exactly with what I want from a balcony :D We chose an extra-large one so that I will be able to have a proper lounger (have cleared this with shore office, just hope that it actually happens once aboard!). I'm not a sun worshipper but will be happy to rest in the shade - or even swathed in blankets if the weather is cooler across the BoB.

Great...if you have anything in writing, bring it with you, and if the lounger is NOT on your balcony tell the cabin steward , if that doesn't work , go to Guest Services & speak to a supervisor...Cheers...

Big Al

• 1 month later...

Great post!!

My first cruise was on Carnival Destiny in like 98 and we had a balcony room. We saw flying fish every day. We had breakfast delivered before sunrise daily. After that we always had balcony rooms and we said we'd never go back. Last year Carnival comped us on the Splendor with an inside cabin... Only cost us 350 for port fees and taxes so we took it.. It was quite an adjustment. But if you're paying for the cruise and can afford it balcony is the way to go!

Great post!!

My first cruise was on Carnival Destiny in like 98 and we had a balcony room. We saw flying fish every day. We had breakfast delivered before sunrise daily. After that we always had balcony rooms and we said we'd never go back. Last year Carnival comped us on the Splendor with an inside cabin... Only cost us 350 for port fees and taxes so we took it.. It was quite an adjustment. But if you're paying for the cruise and can afford it balcony is the way to go!

Thanks & glad you liked my post...It is hard to go back...especially since you really took advantage of your balcony- breakfast out there every morning, flying fish,etc...as you can see yourself, a cabin can make a huge difference in the cruise experience itself...I know it did for us...we leave on the Oasis in 2 wks, and we have a Junior Suite..can't wait to sit out there and put my feet up & enjoy the wonders before me, while others are wondering why there is no sunshine, no wind, no waves, & no salt air, instead of 4 walls & a bathroom...

Big Al

Big Al, you were helpful to me before our cruise so I wanted to let you know what I found out about the exposed balconies on Coral Princess.

In a word: terrible! We were so disappointed. It was too hot and sunny in the afternoon and all the sun made our stateroom hot. DH and I decided we would do without one rather than have one again.

Thanks,

Kim

Big Al, you were helpful to me before our cruise so I wanted to let you know what I found out about the exposed balconies on Coral Princess.

In a word: terrible! We were so disappointed. It was too hot and sunny in the afternoon and all the sun made our stateroom hot. DH and I decided we would do without one rather than have one again.

Thanks,

Kim

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the exposed balconies on the Coral Princess...now you know why I don't go on those kind of ships with those kind of balconies..other than that, how was your cruise overall? Next time, come back on here & ask about balconies on other ships..stay away from Princess , since they have a lot of ships with exposed balconies...BTW, the 2 new Princess ships ( Royal & Regal) have smaller, but more covered balconies....

Big Al

I loved reading this whole thread! My fiancé and I will be on the NCL Epic for our honeymoon in March and we have an aft balcony; I love that I can pull up pictures of the ship any time I want and point out which is ours without even having to think about it! This is not his first cruise, but it is mine. I admitted today - we booked our airfare so it feels even more real! - that I may be even more excited about our honeymoon than our wedding! ;)

I'm lucky he's a good sport, lol!

I loved reading this whole thread! My fiancé and I will be on the NCL Epic for our honeymoon in March and we have an aft balcony; I love that I can pull up pictures of the ship any time I want and point out which is ours without even having to think about it! This is not his first cruise, but it is mine. I admitted today - we booked our airfare so it feels even more real! - that I may be even more excited about our honeymoon than our wedding! ;)

I'm lucky he's a good sport, lol!

Congrats on your wedding, honeymoon & first cruise for him!! I'm glad you liked my post..good idea is to either print OR take down notes & take with you on the cruise...aft balconies are both bigger & have a serene feeling to them back there- kinda like just the wake, the sunset & you..very romantic! Don't miss Le Bistro for a nice romantic French restaurant & also Teppanyaki for fun & great food, Cagney's for a great steak, O'Sheehan's for a 24/7 Irish Pub with FREE fish & chips ( great ones, too!) & great beer..BTW, my ex & I went to Acapulco for our honeymoon, and I too, was looking forward more to that, than the anxiety ridden wedding itself! And it turned out to be the truth- Acapulco was fabulous, waaaayyy before I started cruising..now, very few land vacations- too many security hassles, airports ( horrible), and being at sea with everything you need ( like on the EPIC!) is better for us..any questions before you leave , let me know...

Big Al

I've only cruised once before, A trip to the Mediterraean on Celebrity with my sister where I found myself in a "Sunset Veranda", smack dab in the middle aft of the ship. I can't tell you how many hours I sat staring at the wake. Excluding sleep, I think I spent more time on the balcony than I did in the room itself. Even though it was a port and shore intensive trip, the balcony was a highlight.

Besides staring at the wake, one of the other joys was approching or leaving a port. I was fascinated watching the dance of the tugs and pilot boats bringing a huge ship into port, not to mention the fact that staring out over the ports and harbor just drove home that yes I was in fact in another country and about to experience a new adventure. I don't think you can get that feeling of excitement from an inside cabin.

I've finally convinced my wife to take a cruise and we are booked in a hump balcony on the Silhouette in April. I hope it is not a let down after the aft view. This time, I will have to try the room service breakfast on the balcony. Or maybe a dinner with a nice bottle of wine? I didn't bother with room service last time (Most of the sea days were rather cold and blustery:(). From this thread, it looks like I missed out.

Tim

I've only cruised once before, A trip to the Mediterraean on Celebrity with my sister where I found myself in a "Sunset Veranda", smack dab in the middle aft of the ship. I can't tell you how many hours I sat staring at the wake. Excluding sleep, I think I spent more time on the balcony than I did in the room itself. Even though it was a port and shore intensive trip, the balcony was a highlight.

Besides staring at the wake, one of the other joys was approching or leaving a port. I was fascinated watching the dance of the tugs and pilot boats bringing a huge ship into port, not to mention the fact that staring out over the ports and harbor just drove home that yes I was in fact in another country and about to experience a new adventure. I don't think you can get that feeling of excitement from an inside cabin.

I've finally convinced my wife to take a cruise and we are booked in a hump balcony on the Silhouette in April. I hope it is not a let down after the aft view. This time, I will have to try the room service breakfast on the balcony. Or maybe a dinner with a nice bottle of wine? I didn't bother with room service last time (Most of the sea days were rather cold and blustery:(). From this thread, it looks like I missed out.

Tim

Tim- Congrats on convincing your wife to take a cruise with you...the hump balconies on the Silhouette are terrific! Just different from aft..you have unobstructed views from both your left & right..also, now that you will go again , try & do the breakfast on the balcony..do it on a SEA DAY , not a port day, and if the weather looks iffy, wait till the morning when you get up & check out the weather..if it's a nice morning, order room service on the phone..don't forget to tip the waiter $ 5 to have them set up the breakfast outside on the coffee table...you won't regret it! Another nice thing is to have drinks on the balcony at sunset...the time of sunset is usually on the front page of the daily program...dinner is great , but few cruise lines offer a good meal from the dinner menu ( and NOT the room service menu)..BTW, Princess offers lobster dinners on the balcony..very romantic & very cool...

Big Al

try & do the breakfast on the balcony..do it on a SEA DAY , not a port day, and if the weather looks iffy, wait till the morning when you get up & check out the weather..if it's a nice morning, order room service on the phone..don't forget to tip the waiter $ 5 to have them set up the breakfast outside on the coffee table...you won't regret it!

Big Al

Big Al, a quick question, Maybe this belongs on a tipping thread, but is there a significance to the $5 amount you've quoted numerous times? I understand the value and need to tip the steward/waiter, especially if he is going beyond by setting up on the balcony, I'm just wondering if this is a customary amount for the tip.

Thanks

Tim

Big Al, a quick question, Maybe this belongs on a tipping thread, but is there a significance to the $5 amount you've quoted numerous times? I understand the value and need to tip the steward/waiter, especially if he is going beyond by setting up on the balcony, I'm just wondering if this is a customary amount for the tip.

Thanks

Tim

There is no customary amount..it's just what I give...some give $3...my brother & ex-wife were waiters, so I guess I understand how much they depend on that...good question...

Big Al

We are looking forward to a balcony on our first cruise in January. I know we are setting ourselves up for future failure if we ever decide to cruise again! $$$ :eek:

We are looking forward to many of the things that the OP mentioned!

We booked a balcony for both the fresh air (sea-sickness concerns...) and because we aren't huge 'people persons'. I am sure we will want to retreat to a somewhat quieter location than the pool deck. We will also be traveling with our kids and this gives us the option to sit out there and relax while they do something else in the room.

Hello, sorry to join in but I am new to this site; We are planning on booking an Alaskan cruise for late May early June; I want a balcony; not sure which ship yet; do you have any tips, suggestions? been on 2 other cruises with the tiny broom closet rooms so really want to see the view. does it matter which side of the ship; or would aft be good? How would I check to make sure the room is not near a public area or view is blocked by something? Thanks in advance for any tips

Edited by swingdancerk