Cabin Assistance please

We are booked on the Allure of the Seas for her May 18th sailing. We are in stateroom 10729 - the furthest aft with a Boardwalk Balcony. Several months have passed since our initial booking and we now realize that my dh will definitely need to bring along a mobility scooter. Three of us (adult daughter) will be sharing a cabin. We see that an accessible room #14166 is available and wonder if we should switch. The accessible room is by all the kids activities and under the cantilevered whirlpools. This is our 1st cruise - 1st time traveling with a mobility scooter and we really need some advice. Thank you!

Get the accessible. With three in a regular cabin, there will be absolutely no space to park, and charge, a scooter. Plus, you cannot leave a scooter in the hallway, as it blocks the hallway for anyone else using a walker, scooter or wheelchair.

We are booked on the Allure of the Seas for her May 18th sailing. We are in stateroom 10729 - the furthest aft with a Boardwalk Balcony. Several months have passed since our initial booking and we now realize that my dh will definitely need to bring along a mobility scooter. Three of us (adult daughter) will be sharing a cabin. We see that an accessible room #14166 is available and wonder if we should switch. The accessible room is by all the kids activities and under the cantilevered whirlpools. This is our 1st cruise - 1st time traveling with a mobility scooter and we really need some advice. Thank you!

Also you may think about the scooter,if it's you own, it should be a 3 wheeler, if not, you may want to rent one, as 3 wheelers handle the sharp turns, on a ship much better than a 4 wheeler.

One rental company is "Carevacation.com", they deliver the unit to your cabin by 2 PM on day of sailing, and at the end you just leave it in the cabin for pick-up;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 OCT, 2013, 19 Days, Canada - New England, Quebec City - New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 Ncruise - ov. - 01 Dec. 2013, 7 days Eastern Caribbean - FLL round trip

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 -24 Jan. 2014, 4 Days California Costal

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver

30th cruise - Golden Princess, 09 - 16 Aug. 2014, Seattle - Skagway R/T

31st cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 - 23 Nov. 2014, Houston - Caribbean R/T

32nd & 33rd cruise - Royal Princess, 19Dec. 2014 - 08 Jan. 2015, Christmas & New Year, B2B, 20 Day, Fort Lauderdale Return.

And your husband may appreciate some of the other features of the accessible cabin - hand rails in the bathroom to steady himself, a walk in (roll in) shower with bars and a seat. If he has trouble walking, those grab bars can be a life saver in bumpy seas.

I'm bringing my personal ECV for the first time with me on a cruise this month. I have had my scooter for 3 1/2 years and actually "park" it in the corner of our small walk-in closet. I can also squeeze into small areas. I have a 3-wheel scooter. However, like driving a car, you need to practice to get a feel for it. Therefore, practice with those ECVs in the grocery stores before you rent one for the first time. The walkways and areas of the ships are generally narrow, so do practice before going on your cruise.

If it appears that your husband will need to use an ECV more often (I use mine at shopping malls and theme parks), it may be worthwhile to purchase one before your cruise. Just three rentals would pay for the cost of your own ECV for a brand new one - or you may find a used one for purchase.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Thank you all so much for your advice. We called today and switched to an accessible stateroom (14170). My dh has a stainless steel rod fused to most of his spine due to scoliosis and is now experiencing degenerative disc pain below the rod--he can only walk a very short distance and just standing in the same place knocks him out of commission. We have decided to purchase our own mobility scooter - now we have more decisions to sort through. We never would have considered the need for grab bars on rough seas - so thanks again for helping make our cruise as comfortable as possible.

Thank you all so much for your advice. We called today and switched to an accessible stateroom (14170). My dh has a stainless steel rod fused to most of his spine due to scoliosis and is now experiencing degenerative disc pain below the rod--he can only walk a very short distance and just standing in the same place knocks him out of commission. We have decided to purchase our own mobility scooter - now we have more decisions to sort through. We never would have considered the need for grab bars on rough seas - so thanks again for helping make our cruise as comfortable as possible.

As a place to start, check out spinlife.com to see the various models of ECVs. You can then search for price comparisons with the specific scooter you are interested in. If you decide to purchase from spinlife.com, order a catalog, because they usually offer a 10% discount in their catalog - then order online. Considering your husband's physical condition, he will enjoy life a lot more with an ECV.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise.

iuki (Judy)

The best thing I ever did was get a physical therapy referral before buying a scooter. I thought I needed an electric wheelchair. For me, I have post polio and am very tall, that would have been a mistake. I needed to be able to get my feet as close as possible to the device. The therapist recommended a scooter or a manual chair to meet my needs. I am so glad I saw him before purchase.

The best thing I ever did was get a physical therapy referral before buying a scooter. I thought I needed an electric wheelchair. For me, I have post polio and am very tall, that would have been a mistake. I needed to be able to get my feet as close as possible to the device. The therapist recommended a scooter or a manual chair to meet my needs. I am so glad I saw him before purchase.

Just wanted to echo this advice. The physical/occupational therapy referral helped me get a power chair that is perfect for my needs.

As a place to start, check out spinlife.com to see the various models of ECVs. You can then search for price comparisons with the specific scooter you are interested in. If you decide to purchase from spinlife.com, order a catalog, because they usually offer a 10% discount in their catalog - then order online. Considering your husband's physical condition, he will enjoy life a lot more with an ECV.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise.

iuki (Judy)

What does ECV stand for?

Wendy

ECV=Electronic convenience vehicle

We purchased a Pride Victory ECV and DH is practicing with it. I can already see that this was a very wise purchase.

Since this will be our first time traveling with an ECO , I do have questions simply about dealing with it enroute. We don't have a vehicle lift (yet). We are driving from our home in the Orlando area...and yes, we already did a "test" pack of our vehicle to ensure everything fits! But we dont know the ECV ettique --- do we reassemble it for the hotel shuttle/taxi to the port or take it in pieces?

This seems to have added another layer of unknown to our trip, although I'm certain it will be of great benefit in the long run. Any other basic advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

The Pride Victory is a full size scooter so at times you may find it awkward to move about in crowded areas such as the Windjammer and the Park Café. Hopefully you purchased the 3 wheel model which has a tighter turning radius as that will be beneficial to get in/out of your cabin.

First of all, my comments are not meant to be offensive. I am not a politician, thus I lack the ability to use diplomacy at times.

May I suggest that you drop ECV from your vocabulatary? For the handicap that use mobility scooters or electric wheelchairs, they are not a “convenience” they are a necessity. If your husband requires a mobility scooter due to a medical situation, we all will share information in hopes of making things easier. However, if that scooter is just a convenience, please do not offend us.

Betty

First of all, my comments are not meant to be offensive. I am not a politician, thus I lack the ability to use diplomacy at times.

May I suggest that you drop ECV from your vocabulatary? For the handicap that use mobility scooters or electric wheelchairs, they are not a “convenience” they are a necessity. If your husband requires a mobility scooter due to a medical situation, we all will share information in hopes of making things easier. However, if that scooter is just a convenience, please do not offend us.

Betty

Seriously???........Diplomacy requires a great deal of grace. . of which I do not see being extended here. I have said time and again...we are new to all of this. My DH has a Harrington rod fused to the length of his spine and has degernative dics above and below the hook points-----I will not even go into the details of the pain he experiences. Someone merely asked what ECV stands for and I answered. I know many others that would be upset if I used the word "handicapped". And for our little family---the scooter will be a MAJOR convenience. I certainly hope this post is not indicative of the people we will encounter on our cruise. For the first time in years, we are attempting a vacation - I trust the vocabulary police will not prevent me from gathering and gleaning useful information from these boards. So, if I am being offensive, I shall withhold further comments. I feel so sad .............

I'm truly sorry that you apparently feel what I said was nasty, as I attempted to explain, it was not meant that way. Apparently you do realize things will be a bit different with a scooter. There is not any reason you cannot have a wonderful trip and having a necessary mobility item should make it all the more enjoyable for all.

If you are staying at a hotel that provides transportation to the port, they are suppose to provide “accessible” transportation. If you are staying where you will require a taxi, just ask for a wheelchair accessible taxi. Thus scooter may remain fully assembled.

Both my traveling companion and I have required the use of a mobility scooter for many years and we both avoid disassembling them. Matter of fact, both scooters have been modified to be “work horses” and as such, really cannot be disassembled. The disadvantage is that it is difficult to find accessible transportation many places, or when outside the U.S., suppliers charge an inflated price for accessible transportation.

I'm sure as the years pass your husband will be glad he has the scooter. There will also be times that he wished he did not have to rely on it.

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful trip.

Betty

bigbiker.gif

Seriously???........Diplomacy requires a great deal of grace. . of which I do not see being extended here. I have said time and again...we are new to all of this. My DH has a Harrington rod fused to the length of his spine and has degernative dics above and below the hook points-----I will not even go into the details of the pain he experiences. Someone merely asked what ECV stands for and I answered. I know many others that would be upset if I used the word "handicapped". And for our little family---the scooter will be a MAJOR convenience. I certainly hope this post is not indicative of the people we will encounter on our cruise. For the first time in years, we are attempting a vacation - I trust the vocabulary police will not prevent me from gathering and gleaning useful information from these boards. So, if I am being offensive, I shall withhold further comments. I feel so sad .............

I am so sorry about what the other poster said. If they had bothered to read the thread they would have known you do not need the scooter for convenience but for necessity. Lack of tact is no excuse for being rude.

Please don't feel sad. Most people on here are very helpful and considerate. They will be more than willing to answer your questions and concerns. I have learned that you just have to ignore the few that are unable to be helpful.

I hope you are able to have a wonderful cruise vacation.

We did purchase the 3-wheel model - hope it will work for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I have the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler 3-wheel scooter and am very happy with it. My DH and I can disassemble and reassemble it in a matter of minutes.

Having an ECV will allow him to enjoy life and do things with you without all the pain. I kept practicing in the house before using it in public.

Have a wonderful cruise!

iuki (Judy)

It's to bad you have already purchased a full size scooter, as someone else replied, the Go-Go elite is great for travel. I can check it at the gate for airlines, put in the back of my van or my wife's car as the most a part weights is 25 pounds it think. I do have a larger scooter that stays in my van all the time, but I have a lift. The Go-Go is perfect for ships, small easy to get around those who "don't see you". The three wheel can be a little unstable, but with practice you learn where and how to go. I also replaced the small battery with the larger one. Ran out of juice in the hall to our cabin one night, my bad.

It's to bad you have already purchased a full size scooter, as someone else replied, the Go-Go elite is great for travel. I can check it at the gate for airlines, put in the back of my van or my wife's car as the most a part weights is 25 pounds it think. I do have a larger scooter that stays in my van all the time, but I have a lift. The Go-Go is perfect for ships, small easy to get around those who "don't see you". The three wheel can be a little unstable, but with practice you learn where and how to go. I also replaced the small battery with the larger one. Ran out of juice in the hall to our cabin one night, my bad.

I also have the larger battery. This is the first time I'm taking my scooter, so we booked early in order to get a handicapped room to accommodate the scooter. Do you know if there are any other rooms that have room for the scooter? I don't need the walk-in shower, so if I am able to use another cabin that can accommodate my scooter, I would prefer booking a non-HC room in the future. This would allow the HC room to be available for someone who needs the walk-in shower.

Unsure if my husband's scooter is considered a "full-sized" or not - we can break it down into manageable pieces and we did opt for the bigger battery, as well. My DH is a bigger guy, so we were advised to go with a bit sturdier model. Since we live in the Orlando area, we are going to put it through it's paces at Disney World.

Now we are trying to figure out the whole vehicle lift thing----any advice?

Excited for the cruise - just a bit apprehensive about the scooter and mobility issues. We're pretty flexible though, so I'm hoping that will do us well.

Unsure if my husband's scooter is considered a "full-sized" or not - we can break it down into manageable pieces and we did opt for the bigger battery, as well. My DH is a bigger guy, so we were advised to go with a bit sturdier model. Since we live in the Orlando area, we are going to put it through it's paces at Disney World.

Excited for the cruise - just a bit apprehensive about the scooter and mobility issues. We're pretty flexible though, so I'm hoping that will do us well.

My husband and I have been on several cruises with his Pride scooter! You will be just fine. You should be able to do anything that a 'normal' walking person would do!!! Most of the stewards/waiters are just incredible on the ships. They often fight about who will park it when we are seated for dinner. Even tenders can be handled if the weather is ok. If the entry to the ship becomes too steep they laughingly push my husband up the ramp!!! Please do not feel the least bit upset about inconveniencing anyone!!! they will understand. Those that do not are just plain rude and would be anyway!!!

Enjoy your cruise to the fullest!!!!!

My husband and I have been on several cruises with his Pride scooter! You will be just fine. You should be able to do anything that a 'normal' walking person would do!!! Most of the stewards/waiters are just incredible on the ships. They often fight about who will park it when we are seated for dinner. Even tenders can be handled if the weather is ok. If the entry to the ship becomes too steep they laughingly push my husband up the ramp!!! Please do not feel the least bit upset about inconveniencing anyone!!! they will understand. Those that do not are just plain rude and would be anyway!!!

Enjoy your cruise to the fullest!!!!!

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!

We have also rented a manual wheelchair to be in our cabin upon arrival on the Allure. When we call about the excursions, we have received so many different answers about accessibility, so we are trying to be prepared!

Because your husband is a bigger guy, you needed to go with a sturdier model. That's why I gave you the website to see which model is appropriate for your DH. After a short while, it becomes a regular routine how to break it down. Although we can break mine down to another piece, we don't. We just remove the basket, chair, and battery from the ecv and fold down the tiller and lock it into position. We then lift the ecv into the back of our Honda Pilot. We live in Clermont and also make good use of my ecv at Disney World. If I didn't have the scooter, I would have to rent one because I'm not able to walk any great distance without pain. However, this is the first time for me on a cruise.

Have a wonderful day.

You stated back in Post # 11 "We purchased a Pride Victory ECV". For the record the Pride Victory ECV is a Full Size scooter.