Carnival posts loss, shares sink

guxu

Gee, would it make you feel better if we just cancelled the cruise we won....and therefore not spent money on drinks...or photos...or gifts...or the steakhouse...or the coffee bar...and the tips for the employees?

And the folks who opted to bring extra guests who paid full price for them who would also spend money? Should they just call and cancel?

Would that turn that elitist frown upside down?

First off, this particular run of offers that has upset you and others only appeared late this winter and would not have been included in this most recent bottom line.

The prices of food and oil, two major components of most of our lives, continue to escalate. Think those increased expenses might have something to do with the losses?

I think someone mentioned in another post that bookings were also up because of the $50 deposit offer.

If a comany's target market is people who is very tight on money, the earning result is not surprising.

First off, this particular run of offers that has upset you and others only appeared late this winter and would not have been included in this most recent bottom line.

Then they've got some serious problems on their hands.

Gee, would it make you feel better if we just cancelled the cruise we won....and therefore not spent money on drinks...or photos...or gifts...or the steakhouse...or the coffee bar...and the tips for the employees?

And the folks who opted to bring extra guests who paid full price for them who would also spend money? Should they just call and cancel?

The prices of food and oil, two major components of most of our lives, continue to escalate. Think those increased expenses might have something to do with the losses?

Are you saying without your free offer, Carnival cannot fill their ships? Personally I do not care the free offer. But as a shareholder (I own a lot more than 100 shares), I am more concerned about their bottom line.

Yes, the prices of food and oil are higher. But there are other cruise lines who are still going strong. So the prices of food and oil are not the only reasons for the loss.

Took my own advice and pulled the trigger!

Good for you. But if it was me, I would wait several days. There is no way for Carnival to generate some good news tomorrow. And stock like CCL will not just jump high for no reason.

Kinda sarcastic answer don't ya think? It was only an opinion and observation type of question.

Kinda sarcastic answer don't ya think? It was only an opinion and observation type of question.

First off, it was a grossly inaccurate statement regarding the company; the kind of scuttlebutt that can contribute to a dip in stock prices.

Secondly, most of us that got lucky enough to win the randomly awarded cruises have been the subject of some pretty personal attacks on these boards, to the point those threads have been deleted.

Wonder how much was spent on retrofitting ships with backup systems. Those generators on the deck cannot be cheap or cheap to wire in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

And those lawsuits. What's the verdict for the lawsuit filed by a lady who "slipped" on her balcony and went overboard?

Not surprised. I am predicting a bunch of consumer discretionary based companies miss their targets this year as they over-estimated the amount of growth. People are spending more, but we are far from pre-2008 where people were lighting money on fire.

Carnival posts loss even with record bookings. Now I am thinking how many of those bookings are from the free cruise offers.:mad:

The money from the bookings would not be reflected now. They would show up in the next fiscal year. This year you would have drydocks, emergency repairs, and whatever other woes Carnival had.